Official Game Thread - 8/26 - Bucs vs Cubbies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/26 - Bucs vs Cubbies

Post by Surgnbuck »

So watching directly into the dugout, one could read Shelton's body language on the Bido implosion, it was clear he was indecisive on what to do. He was slow to get someone up, despite Bido's track record of falling apart once he's walked a man or 5. Yet, he allowed the 5 run inning to occur, when it was obvious he was trying to show confidence in the guy again, when he had guys that should have been back up again the moment the first batter, and certainly the second, reached base. You could just see the wheels spinning worrying about the bullpen the rest of the way, instead of worrying about today's game.

I don't care about what lineup he puts out there. I care about how he manages the pitching staff, and for the vast majority of the time, he just doesn't seem to be able to read the room. Bido had a tremendous amount of pitches in his first inning of work, and despite the 1-2-3 inning, he was already at a heavy workload heading into his third inning of work.

I'm really tired of him pulling the plug on a pitcher after he's already put the next guy coming in with his back up against the wall.

Peguero didn't help matters much either. I have no idea where to play the guy, he's starting to look like Castro 2.0. Williams doesn't come across as some elite or even above average fielder, his footwork is awful, and he goes for the backhand snare way too much when it isn't necessary. His throws are rarely on target, even routine outs he has the first baseman stretching.

I was at the game, and have no clue what happened when the first three guys reach HR, single, BB....then 9 of the next 12 batters strike out, and he sets down 15 in a row, and three more after that once he was lifted? It looked to us like they were trying to upper cut balls down at their ankles, but IDK. Did the rookie just get it together? It was sickening after the game to see him out there, as the Pirates allowed his gazillion guests to come out onto OUR field and give him hugs and photo ops.

Why wasn't Rivas inserted into the game in the top of the ninth? I'm not saying he stops Bellinger's 2 out single that preceded the 2 run Suzuki double, but Joe looked to have come pretty close. Going back to Peguero, was it a freak hop to his left, or did he just misread Swanson's swing? He went to his right when it looked like from where he was positioned, a step over and he has that ball. Either way, Hatch was getting hit hard, and Shelton needed to pull him, instead of hoping on hope he could get Suzuki in the righty on righty matchup.

Hayes, Reynolds, and Cutch all looked like they threw in the towel with their AB's in the 6th with the new pitcher on.

Bae has to quit swinging for the fences when he isn't trying to slap the ball to left.

Speaking of Cutch, he looks hobbled, and has for quite some time. IIRC correctly, he nose dived for a while at the plate leading up to his 2,000th hit. The same seems to be occurring with the 300th HR. He looked horrific striking out with Reynolds on 2nd with a chance to make it 8-7, or even better, get that 300 and tie the game.

I know Reynolds had to face the closer, but looking at strike three after swinging at two pitches that looked out of the zone? Of course, we were all hoping for the fairy tale of Cutch coming up with a chance to tie the score again had Reynolds reached.

I said it back in spring training. This team strikes out way too much for a team with little power.

Worst part of it all? Friday night, I was out of character on a foul ball that went directly overhead but way back, I always turn around for a rebound. But I didn't this night, and it sailed right past me to the guy right in front of me who wasn't even paying attention. Tonight, I had a screaming line drive come right to the seat next to me, but it clanked off the base of my thumb, and down to the seats below. So now I have a massive bruise and a swollen hand.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The ball clanked off your thumb? You didn't have your glove with you? On second thought, I've played catch with you and that wouldn't have helped, either.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:36 am The ball clanked off your thumb? You didn't have your glove with you? On second thought, I've played catch with you and that wouldn't have helped, either.
Only pansies and children wear gloves. You either man up for a possible broken hand, or get out of the way.

And if you had thrown the ball better....
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surg, watching the Pirates can be a painful experience. :D

Regarding Shelton, "clueless" is an overused adjective, but I can't think of a word that better describes him. He just never seems to have a feel for the game. Realistically, I'm sure he wants to win. But there seems to be a total disconnect between that desire and how he manages a game. It often seems like he's managing a Grapefruit League game where the outcome is irrelevant. Sometimes his lineups omit just about anyone (few as that may be) who's been hitting. Or he bats them in an order that makes little sense unless he's experimenting. It often seems there's a preset number of innings for a pitcher regardless of whether he's pitching well or getting hammered. That was in evidence last night when no one was warming in the BP despite Bido's walkfest when he couldn't throw strikes.

I suspect much of Shelton's incompetence is related to a reliance on Cherington. As Joe Maddon wrote, modern GMs control issues that used to be the sole discretion of the manager, even to the extent of phoning the dugout with instructions during a game. As such, GMs often prefer to hire an inexperienced manager who will not be giving up authority he used to have. (That's what led to Maddon being fired.) Shelton never managed any other way and likely waits be told which players to rest or start including the bullpen. Maybe even some batting order issues. The way the Pirates use or don't use their players always seems more focused on some abstract future game than in winning the game at hand. That seems more like the "big picture" concerns of a GM than a manager trying to win today's game. And Shelton's contract extension strongly points to his GM being quite pleased with how they work together.

It appears Shelton's MLB experience as a hitting coach, quality control coach and bench coach did not give him insights useful in putting a team in its best position to win. And that's all you can ask of a manager. He can't make them more talented. But whatever their limitations, he can use them in the way that's most beneficial. And that's where Shelton routinely falls flat on his face. Maybe he's too reliant on receiving help from Cherington. But Shelton is another weakness on this team, in addition to the limitations of the players.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:49 am
Doc wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:36 am The ball clanked off your thumb? You didn't have your glove with you? On second thought, I've played catch with you and that wouldn't have helped, either.
Only pansies and children wear gloves. You either man up for a possible broken hand, or get out of the way.

And if you had thrown the ball better....
I figured it would come around to it being my fault. After all, I am married.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

When the Cubs Pitching Coach out to talk to their Pitcher (Wicks) he turned
him into Sandy Kofax.
When Oscar came out to talk to Bido, he turned him into Ortiz