The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

Jarlin Garcia, who figured to be featured prominently as a LH reliever for the Bucs, can't grip a baseball, and the Pirates don't have a definitive diagnosis of his injury yet.

Also injured, another reliever that figured to be an upgrade for the pen this season, Robert Stephenson, has elbow soreness. He is throwing sideline sessions though, so his injury doesn't appear to be quite as concerning right now.

With Garcia looking to be out indefinitely, Jose Hernandez is the only LHP reliever on the 40 man. He is the rule 5 pick who has never pitched above AA. His stats so far in ST: 4IP 4 ER 7H 1BB 5 K 2 HR WHIP 2.00.

Shelton says they won't put a lefty in the pen simply for the sake of having another lefty, that it would be a meritocracy. Right now, Hernandez better pick it up some to have merit, if he's not to be offered back to the Dodgers.
Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

436562777E7265737B100 wrote: Jarlin Garcia, who figured to be featured prominently as a LH reliever for the Bucs, can't grip a baseball, and the Pirates don't have a definitive diagnosis of his injury yet.

Also injured, another reliever that figured to be an upgrade for the pen this season, Robert Stephenson, has elbow soreness. He is throwing sideline sessions though, so his injury doesn't appear to be quite as concerning right now.

With Garcia looking to be out indefinitely, Jose Hernandez is the only LHP reliever on the 40 man. He is the rule 5 pick who has never pitched above AA. His stats so far in ST: 4IP 4 ER 7H 1BB 5 K 2 HR WHIP 2.00.

Shelton says they won't put a lefty in the pen simply for the sake of having another lefty, that it would be a meritocracy. Right now, Hernandez better pick it up some to have merit, if he's not to be offered back to the Dodgers.
If Garcia is out, they obviously need another LHP in the BP. If they don't add one, it's only because they know they can't win anyway, so why bother to find one and put another contract on Nutting's desk. But it is BC's job to find one-based on merit-who can help. IMHO, Shelton is barely qualified to sweep the floors, much less manage the team. And it's BC's job, not Shelton's, to assemble the roster. So if Shelton is echoing what BC has told him, shame on both of them.
GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

Probably just me.  Something about "meritocracy" and "Pirates" just doesn't seem to fit in my way of looking at it.  "Adequacy" seems more like it.
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have acquired INF/OF Mark Mathias from the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later.

To make room on the 40-man roster, RHP Max Kranick has been transferred to the 60-day injured list." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1633539453321895986
Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

7D3E273C2F3A2B3D7D4E0 wrote: "We have acquired INF/OF Mark Mathias from the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later.

To make room on the 40-man roster, RHP Max Kranick has been transferred to the 60-day injured list." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1633539453321895986
OMG. They should be giving PT to Bae and Marcano. Not trying to find the next VanMeter with guys like Owings and Mathias.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ma01.shtml
GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

Another reason why there's not much to chatter about.
Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

7045525259605252595E52370 wrote: Another reason why there's not much to chatter about.
Well, when you do chatter, you add absolutely nothing to the conversation, so yeah, best you don't.
Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

476A67767160773734050 wrote: Jarlin Garcia, who figured to be featured prominently as a LH reliever for the Bucs, can't grip a baseball, and the Pirates don't have a definitive diagnosis of his injury yet.

If Garcia is out, they obviously need another LHP in the BP. If they don't add one, it's only because they know they can't win anyway, so why bother to find one and put another contract on Nutting's desk. But it is BC's job to find one-based on merit-who can help. IMHO, Shelton is barely qualified to sweep the floors, much less manage the team. And it's BC's job, not Shelton's, to assemble the roster. So if Shelton is echoing what BC has told him, shame on both of them.
They have I believe 4 other LHP in camp, but none are on the 40 man. My thoughts were one would be added because we all know Kranick was going on the 60 day, but they did it for a trade instead. De Los Santos had all the names. So they brought these guys in, I'm okay with them looking at them. It's not like they're going out and finding some gem that's well above the non roster invites, it would just be similar.

Not getting the utility guy trade. I can only think it means they're about to give up on someone. I noticed Choi has played exceptionally little so far. That might be management because of the elbow surgery, IDK. Him losing arbitration, then not being allowed to play in the WBC, maybe he's brooding in the clubhouse. Of course, I have nothing to go on that would allow for that sort of speculation. But yet, I did it anyhow.
GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

785E594C45495E48402B0 wrote: Another reason why there's not much to chatter about.
Well, when you do chatter, you add absolutely nothing to the conversation, so yeah, best you don't.

As if this isn't a other example of YOUR value.

Personal attacks say more about you than your intended target.
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

082E293C35392E38305B0 wrote: Jarlin Garcia, who figured to be featured prominently as a LH reliever for the Bucs, can't grip a baseball, and the Pirates don't have a definitive diagnosis of his injury yet.

They have I believe 4 other LHP in camp, but none are on the 40 man. My thoughts were one would be added because we all know Kranick was going on the 60 day, but they did it for a trade instead. De Los Santos had all the names. So they brought these guys in, I'm okay with them looking at them. It's not like they're going out and finding some gem that's well above the non roster invites, it would just be similar.

Not getting the utility guy trade. I can only think it means they're about to give up on someone. I noticed Choi has played exceptionally little so far. That might be management because of the elbow surgery, IDK. Him losing arbitration, then not being allowed to play in the WBC, maybe he's brooding in the clubhouse. Of course, I have nothing to go on that would allow for that sort of speculation. But yet, I did it anyhow.

Ryan Vilade is 2-13 so far this spring, I still don't know why he has a roster spot.