7/21 Game Thread - Liriano Dominates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the Trib, Liriano is the first Pirate to strike out at least 13 and not walk a batter since Jose DeLeon struck out 14 with no walks on April 16, 1985.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

497F7E696263796B486579790A0 wrote: Raise it!

And Cardinals about to go down! Cards come back and win  6-5 tonight after being down 5-0 and sweep SD 4 games. Miami plays the Mets this weekend and the Cards play the Dodgers so the good news is 2 of the 4 teams we are chasing we will gain ground on as long as we beat the Phillies. Need to get 2 out 3 this weekend again or better yet sweep this series with the Phillies. We could really use a sweep right about now.

I'm not too worried about it.  If we start using our best 5 arms and our best bats...things will work out come Buctober

I agree. It's past time to stop screwing around. Get the most talented arms in the rotation. If we come up short, wr come up short...but losing games with Jeff Locke while ANY of the AAA guys are wasting their starting innings in AAA is poor roster management.

I'd like to see a quality pen arm or two added, just like last year. Otherwise, we just need to play our best players
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3E373F2E205A0 wrote: Raise it!

And Cardinals about to go down! Cards come back and win  6-5 tonight after being down 5-0 and sweep SD 4 games. Miami plays the Mets this weekend and the Cards play the Dodgers so the good news is 2 of the 4 teams we are chasing we will gain ground on as long as we beat the Phillies. Need to get 2 out 3 this weekend again or better yet sweep this series with the Phillies. We could really use a sweep right about now.

I'm not too worried about it.  If we start using our best 5 arms and our best bats...things will work out come Buctober

I agree.   It's past time to stop screwing around.   Get the most talented arms in the rotation.   If we come up short, wr come up short...but losing games with Jeff Locke while ANY of the AAA guys are wasting their starting innings in AAA is poor roster management.

I'd like to see a quality pen arm or two added, just like last year.   Otherwise, we just need to play our best players

I think the last time out was the final straw for Jeff Locke
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree about Locke.

I just don't know what they are going to do with him. He could clear waivers, but unlikely since he is cheap and left-handed.

I think the Pirates would hate to just dump him for nothing since some team would probably claim him. But it is time to move on with the other young guys ready to go.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know if they can find room for him in the bullpen or not.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Try your hardest to trade him and if it doesn't work after about a week or so then yes DFA him there is no other choice really. Another thing is the Pirates were talking about Vogelsong being ready the next few days to come back. Ummm where do they think he is going to fit in on this roster as well?? I feel bad for what happened to Vogelsong and I am very glad he is okay with his eye but it's time to DFA him as well. There is no room for him and there is no way he should take a roster spot from a younger player.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

77504145405D62564140405D240 wrote: Try your hardest to trade him and if it doesn't work after about a week or so then yes DFA him there is no other choice really. Another thing is the Pirates were talking about Vogelsong being ready the next few days to come back. Ummm where do they think he is going to fit in on this roster as well?? I feel bad for what happened to Vogelsong and I am very glad he is okay with his eye but it's time to DFA him as well. There is no room for him and there is no way he should take a roster spot from a younger player.

Vogelsong will go back to the bullpen. No young starter will be in the Pirates' bullpen.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He might be pretty good as a bullpen piece though, hard to tell until/if he goes there
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: I agree about Locke.

I just don't know what they are going to do with him.  He could clear waivers, but unlikely since he is cheap and left-handed.

I think the Pirates would hate to just dump him for nothing since some team would probably claim him.  But it is time to move on with the other young guys ready to go.
As far as what they could get for Locke:

This is his 4th full season and he's getting progressively worse. ERA's have been 3.52, 3.91, 4.49, 5.54.

He arbitration eligible in 2017. Any team that acquires him will have to pay him much more than he's worth next year if they keep him.

His current team simply wants to get rid of him because of how badly he pitches. A team would have to be desperate to want to acquire him.

So the idea that the Pirates wouldn't want to just give him away without getting something in return makes little sense. He's getting 3 mil this year and half of that has already been paid. His replacement would be a minimum salary rookie for half a season. So it's not as if they would be eating a huge contract or paying a lot to replace him. There's just no reason to not let him go, either for a minimal return or nothing at all if need be.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

My thinking is that he has been in the league for six years and he is left handed. He has made an All Star team and has some very good outings this year.

You may be right. I wouldn't care if they just dumped him, but don't you think he will get picked up pretty quickly with his experience and left arm? That always sucks when you release a player and they are scooped up as you know they had "some" value. I assume that is the Pirates' thinking.