Last Minute Trade Buzz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by DemDog »

1B3C2D292C310E3A2D2C2C31480 wrote: Best move of the deadline by far getting Liriano out of here and saving 13 million for next season. He sucked this season and needed to go. The Pirates have freed up a ton of money for next season now to go sign 1 or 2 above average quality starting pitchers.

MBLTRS say financial considerations also in deal. Now to see what prospects we get and how much of that 13 mil we pay next year. I'm just glad he is gone.
PMike

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by PMike »

54736266637E41756263637E070 wrote: Best move of the deadline by far getting Liriano out of here and saving 13 million for next season. He sucked this season and needed to go. The Pirates have freed up a ton of money for next season now to go sign 1 or 2 above average quality starting pitchers.
What? You think they can sign 1-2 above average starting pitchers for $13 million next year? What are you smoking? $13 million won't get one above average pitcher.

We'll see what they got back for Liriano, but I don't love this trade. Liriano still has the stuff. They traded low on him. He has a long history of having a couple great years and a bad one. There is historical precedence for him to turn it around for next year.
NJBucsFan

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by NJBucsFan »

The Toronto Blue Jays acquired left-hander Francisco Liriano and minor-league outfielder Harold Ramirez from the Pittsburgh Pirates for right-hander Drew Hutchison, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.
PMike

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by PMike »

7F7B7344524277505F310 wrote: The Toronto Blue Jays acquired left-hander Francisco Liriano and minor-league outfielder Harold Ramirez from the Pittsburgh Pirates for right-hander Drew Hutchison, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.

Wow! We better be getting a lot more back.
BucsFaninGA

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Righty Drew Hutchinson rumored to be coming back in the deal to Pittsburgh ;)
BucsFaninGA

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Hope there is more. A lot to give up for Hutchinson....
SteadyFreddy

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by SteadyFreddy »

1C012527294C0 wrote: Best move of the deadline by far getting Liriano out of here and saving 13 million for next season. He sucked this season and needed to go. The Pirates have freed up a ton of money for next season now to go sign 1 or 2 above average quality starting pitchers.
What?  You think they can sign 1-2 above average starting pitchers for $13 million next year?  What are you smoking?  $13 million won't get one above average pitcher.

We'll see what they got back for Liriano, but I don't love this trade.  Liriano still has the stuff.  They traded low on him.  He has a long history of having a couple great years and a bad one. There is historical precedence for him to turn it around for next year. They still have the money they also saved for Melancon and Niese as well. Huntington at some point the next few seasons with the support of Nutting either has to go out and sign a few difference maker free agents to help the young guys in this rotation, or he is going to need to part at some point with some of these top prospects he has in order to get better and win now. At some point you gotta go for it and can't sit on your hands every year in fear which is what Huntington seems like he does.
NJBucsFan

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by NJBucsFan »

With all this movement, I feel exactly the same about this team as I did 48 hours ago. Slightly above .500 before, slightly above .500 after.
PMike

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by PMike »

Way too much for Hutchinson. Ramirez would have been more than enough. I can't believe they would give Ramirez in as part of a salary dump.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

These are some weird trades:

Liriano for a guy that isn't really proven and been in the minors most of the year.

Ivan Nova isn't doing much and is a free agent after the season.

Melancon trade makes sense. I didn't mind it even though I am a big Melancon fan.

Niese for Bastardo is a good move in general.

Were the Pirates buyers or sellers? I really don't know.