4/10 Glasnow start

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Interestingly enough I thought Glasnow's two best pitch sequences were against Votto of all people. The first AB, he over powered him with a few heaters, Votto battled back then held back on a curveball that probably retires most ML hitters in that spot. The second time Glasnow got his lone K against Votto.

Trying to find small positive vibes.

Let's see how he does against the defending champs this weekend.
SammyKhalifa

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7A626067677061667B7A6C090 wrote: I've never seen a team deserve to lose a baseball game tonight as our Pirates.  Could patch, couldn't hit when it mattered, gave up a zillion sb's and hr, and could field worth nuthin'.

We need to own this "l" and realize most teams aren't the Braves and here for us to run over.

Has the Reds bullpen been great tonight or did the Bucs give up?  Last year the Reds had the worst or next to worst bullpen in baseball. Two guys tonight pitched 3 innings without allowing a hit or walk.  That looks impressive.
When your manager gives up, what do you expect.  Bases loaded 3rd inning and manager sends up the relief pitcher up to hit, that sent a message and the team got it loud and clear, game over.  Hurdle needs to go.

Sorry, no.  No need to destroy the bullpen at that point.  You have to think more than one step into the future.  You'd be wrecking the next two games. Heck, how many players failed with the bases loaded before that came up?

fjk090852-7

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think some of the older Pirate followers who post on this site will remember that both Danny Murtaugh and Chuck Tanner would often say you might have to give up a game to protect your bullpen. By losing one game you may hold off a three or four game losing streak.
SammyKhalifa

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by SammyKhalifa »

222E2F747D747C71766973440 wrote: I think some of the older Pirate followers who post on this site will remember that both Danny Murtaugh and Chuck Tanner would often say you might have to give up a game to protect your bullpen. By losing one game you may hold off a three or four game losing streak.

Frankly, I think some posters' opinions of Clint Hurdle color their opinion of the moves.  Clint did it so therefore it's wrong.

Anyhow, monster effort by Wade LeBlanc yesterday (too bad not from anyone else on the team). 
Tintin

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by Tintin »

6B737176766170776A6B7D180 wrote: I've never seen a team deserve to lose a baseball game tonight as our Pirates.  Could patch, couldn't hit when it mattered, gave up a zillion sb's and hr, and could field worth nuthin'.

We need to own this "l" and realize most teams aren't the Braves and here for us to run over.

Has the Reds bullpen been great tonight or did the Bucs give up?  Last year the Reds had the worst or next to worst bullpen in baseball. Two guys tonight pitched 3 innings without allowing a hit or walk.  That looks impressive.
When your manager gives up, what do you expect.  Bases loaded 3rd inning and manager sends up the relief pitcher up to hit, that sent a message and the team got it loud and clear, game over.  Hurdle needs to go.

Glasnow forced Hurdle's hand. We have seven guys in the bullpen.

Williams and Rivera were not going to be used. LaBlanc would be coming out.

So you now need to get six innings from Watson, Hudson, Nicasio, and Bastardo. None of these guys are long men or are stretched to go multiple innings. This tears up you bullpen for a week,

This one is on the players. We had men on first and second with no one out in the first and loaded the bases with no one out in the 2nd and 3rd. We scored one run. That's not on Hurdle.

I would imagine if we had scored some runs, he might have gotten Taillon up, but there is no reason to burn your bullpen on the .333 chance that Jaso or Hanson gets on base to narrow the score.

Glasnow took Clints toolbox away last night and LaBlancs a bit of hero for saving the bullpen's availability.
SammyKhalifa

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, we had bases loaded and nobody out TWICE and every player (except Cervelli) failed miserably.  Glasnow walked 75 guys (approximately) in two innings.

Who's fault is it?  Clint Hurdle's.  Oh, of course. 
rucker59@gmail.com

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1C2A2B3C37362C3E1D302C2C5F0 wrote: Interestingly enough I thought Glasnow's two best pitch sequences were against Votto of all people.  The first AB, he over powered him with a few heaters, Votto battled back then held back on a curveball that probably retires most ML hitters in that spot.  The second time Glasnow got his lone K against Votto.

Trying to find small positive vibes.

Let's see how he does against the defending champs this weekend.m

The worst thing that could happen to Glasnow is get the start against the Cubs. The guy looked devastated. The "stuff" he was throwing to the Reds will look like batting practice to the Cubs.

I was glad he struck out Joey, but I bet he wishes he had that AB back.

Can you imagine having to pull Glasnow after 1 2/3 in Chicago? For sure Clint doesn't have Glasnow penciled in for 6 innings. Clint will have to have the pen ready to cover 8 2/3 innings which affects the rest of the series. I bet they find a way to skip Tyler.

I want Tyler to succeed, for his sake and the Pirates. But I see nothing (including last year) that looks like he's got some magic stuff.
Bobster21

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by Bobster21 »

51636F6F7B496A636E6B6463020 wrote: I think some of the older Pirate followers who post on this site will remember that both Danny Murtaugh and Chuck Tanner would often say you might have to give up a game to protect your bullpen. By losing one game you may hold off a three or four game losing streak.

Frankly, I think some posters' opinions of Clint Hurdle color their opinion of the moves.  Clint did it so therefore it's wrong.

Anyhow, monster effort by Wade LeBlanc yesterday (too bad not from anyone else on the team). 
But that sort of gets Clint off the hook for anything, right? It's basically saying that criticism of Clint's moves can't be based on anything except bias.

I see that game like this: After 1.5 innings, it's 5-0 and Hurdle has already had to go to the pen for LeBlanc. At this point it looks like a lost cause. LeBlanc was probably kept despite 3 other LH relievers precisely because of the fear that Glasnow would have games like this. It's time to write this one off and save the pen for another day. That's reasonable to me.

But then something unexpected happens in the third. The Bucs get a run to make it 5-1, chase the Reds' starter, and find LeBlanc at bat with 2 outs and the bases loaded. Suddenly, a hit here can make this a close game and it's still only the third inning. Altho Williams just went 2 innings the day before, Nicasio is available. Worst case, a pinch hitter for LeBlanc fails to deliver and Nicasio goes the 4 more innings between LeBlanc and Bastardo. But if the Bucs can tie or get the lead by the 6th, it'll be business as usual with the back end of the pen in innings 7-9. But Hurdle chooses to let this chance go by and lets LeBlanc bat. And they never even get another man on base the rest of the game. I just think the 3rd inning is too early to decline an opportunity to get back into a game and possibly turn a loss into a win. And maybe it was just coincidence but when no Pirate reached base after that, I wonder if the batters lost their focus and just wanted to get the game over after seeing their manager appear to have already written it off so early. My opinion of Hurdle is that he is an average, run of the mill manager who follows standard formulas and is not particularly imaginative. At the time he brought LeBlanc in last night, it seemed like the right move to write off that game and save the pen as much as possible. But when the opportunity to get back in the game presented itself just an inning later, the skipper did not stray from the course he had set.
SCBucco

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by SCBucco »

5B66617B66610F0 wrote: I've never seen a team deserve to lose a baseball game tonight as our Pirates.  Could patch, couldn't hit when it mattered, gave up a zillion sb's and hr, and could field worth nuthin'.

Glasnow forced Hurdle's hand.  We have seven guys in the bullpen.

Williams and Rivera were not going to be used. LaBlanc would be coming out. 

So you now need to get six innings from Watson, Hudson, Nicasio, and Bastardo.  None of these guys are long men or are stretched to go multiple innings.  This tears up you bullpen for a week,

This one is on the players.  We had men on first and second with no one out in the first and loaded the bases with no one out in the 2nd and 3rd.  We scored one run.  That's not on Hurdle.

I would imagine if we had scored some runs, he might have gotten Taillon up, but there is no reason to burn your bullpen on the .333 chance that Jaso or Hanson gets on base to narrow the score.

Glasnow took Clints toolbox away last night and LaBlancs a bit of hero for saving the bullpen's availability.

Agree with this 100%. Our bullpen has been overused the last few years because the inability of our starters to go deep in games. I understand some go the KC model of a few years ago ... starters go 6 and then turn it over to Herrera-Davis and Holland to secure victory. We don't have that.

Because of Glasnow's ineffective start, no sense putting more innings on the pen in a game that it was unlikely to come back.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If Glasnow was still in the game, do you bat him? Twice?

It was a tough call. It wasn't their night, as Glasnow put them in a hole. LeBlanc shouldn't have been in that situation as others didn't come through. Bases loaded twice and a walk was the only way they got a run.