4/9 Game thread Cole goes for the sweep...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I'm going to give Cole a couple more starts, but as of right now 2015 is as much of an outlier as 2016.

I don't know if he's a poor pitcher, but I know he hasnt been "good" for a long time. And the pirates are needing him to be great.
rucker59@gmail.com

5C54574056565A350 wrote: The Boston game is troubling because it makes me worry that last year it was part of Cole's problem that one bad inning would kill him.  With 2 outs and nobody on, allowing 1 run is one thing but to implode for 5 is another.  The Atlanta game is troubling because he got hit fairly hard fairly often.  He gave up fewer runs than Boston but looked worse doing it. 

Cole has been solid but I think what is leading to the angst on the board is that we need Cole to be a shut down pitcher if we make the playoffs.  Cole has shown signs in the past.  I thought he looked more like that in Boston but ran into trouble.  His control in the zone was definitely off against Atlanta so hopefully, that is just a bump.  My kids have asked over the last couple of years who would I want pitching in a game 7.  It was always kind of hard because I think Frankie had the nastiest stuff to shut a team down but Cole is more consistently solid.  We need Cole to make that decision a no brainer because right now, I would go with Taillion. 

Very good post.

Another point : the season may only be a week old, but the Pirates won't get many more years out of Cole. Every "poor" start reduces his value to the Pirates.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Also reduces his value on the open market too. I still think he is foolish not to sign a long term deal (like, giving up one year of free agency).
rucker59@gmail.com

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: Also reduces his value on the open market too.  I still think he is foolish not to sign a long term deal (like, giving up one year of free agency). 

I'd offer to buy out a couple years of FA, but only at a deep discount.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

2229212D2829327771063F272E2929682529460 wrote: Also reduces his value on the open market too.  I still think he is foolish not to sign a long term deal (like, giving up one year of free agency). 

All depends on how you look at it. In theory, more money up front is actually more valuable due to the ability to invest it and the miracle that is compounding interest. But, guys don't really think that way. Personally, I think Cole likes pitching in Pittsburgh. I think he likes the city, the organization, and his teammates. (Last year's salary gripe not withstanding.) But, I fully expect him to sign with one of three teams when he hits FA: the Yankees (he grew up a huge Yankees fan), the Dodgers, or the Angels (from the LA area...gets to go home).

Part of me thinks that depending on how Glasnow develops this year, Cole could be on the trading block in the offseason.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

He had a 3.88 ERA and a 3.33 FIP last year in a very down year.

Just how crazy are you guys?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Thought I'd share some shots from the game. My camera died (!) at about the eighth inning before the "good stuff" started happening. I am a bit worried about that but putting the dang thing away and just watching the game was probably good for me. :)

untitled-8.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-221.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-116.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-240.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-255.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-232.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-101.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-197.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

untitled-225.jpg by sammykhalifa, on Flickr
rucker59@gmail.com

Great shots Sammy! What kind of lens were using? Did you have any problem getting your equipment through security? I'd like to try this as well.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Thanks VA! I have an Olympus Micro 4/3 with a (relatively) cheap Panasonic 45-200mm zoom. They're pretty good with letting things in (other sporting events don't want anything with a detachable lens, length limitations, etc.) though of course you'll probably need to go to the bag check line. They don't want flashes or tripods either but that's just common sense as those would really bother the other fans.
rucker59@gmail.com

6D5F53534775565F5257585F3E0 wrote: Thanks VA!  I have an Olympus Micro 4/3 with a (relatively) cheap Panasonic 45-200mm zoom.  They're pretty good with letting things in (other sporting events don't want anything with a detachable lens, length limitations, etc.) though of course you'll probably need to go to the bag check line.  They don't want flashes or tripods either but that's just common sense as those would really bother the other fans.

I would not have guessed that you could get  camera equipment in. Very cool.

The picture of Cervelli with the ump, Stewart with the young kid are really really good.  The pic of Polanco is nothing short of outstanding. If you could get those autographed you'd have some value. Gregory has probably never had a better portrait - talk about capturing personality! A perfect picture.