4/11 Taillon vs Davis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Bobster21 »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: VaPirate raised a question (how did the Reds rebuild so fast) on a topic I've wondered about since NH started. My thought was what is the way to rebuild. NH's approach was to view pitching as the most important ingredient and so started trying to grab as many as he could and build a staff around that. Theo Epstein went the other way, grabbing hitters, position players, figuring he could add pitchers later (and he has the budget to do that, of course). I think the Pirates approach would have worked -- they certainly had some strong teams there for two or three years -- they just happened to peak as a team in a division where the Cards and then Cubs were also peaking. But I still wonder if one approach is better than the other. I can't decide what the Reds are doing.

The Brewers tried to build with hitters and their plan really hasn't worked.  I always wondered what is the best way and I am not sure if there is a true answer. 

I think the Pirates' rebuilding plan was very sound. Good drafting, developing pitching prospects and position players like Marte, Polanco, Bell, Meadows, Newman, etc. Unfortunately, the financial aspect plays a huge part in hindering the team's efforts. Where other teams will develop prospects and then add additional impact players via trade or free agency, the Pirates will only go with what they can develop or acquire without big contracts. It's not even a question of becoming a big spender. But the org consistently maintains one of the 5 or 6 lowest payrolls in MLB rather than supplementing the prospects by bringing in quality players that might raise the payroll to middle of the pack status. They've been willing to go to the 9-11 million range for a few (Cervelli, Liriano, Nova) but then seem financially strapped even though the total payroll remains near the bottom of MLB. I think if Nutting were to loosen the purse strings just to the mid-MLB level, he would find that the rebuilding plan is quite good and that it only takes another couple of players to make it all jell.
Ecbucs

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Ecbucs »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: VaPirate raised a question (how did the Reds rebuild so fast) on a topic I've wondered about since NH started. My thought was what is the way to rebuild. NH's approach was to view pitching as the most important ingredient and so started trying to grab as many as he could and build a staff around that. Theo Epstein went the other way, grabbing hitters, position players, figuring he could add pitchers later (and he has the budget to do that, of course). I think the Pirates approach would have worked -- they certainly had some strong teams there for two or three years -- they just happened to peak as a team in a division where the Cards and then Cubs were also peaking. But I still wonder if one approach is better than the other. I can't decide what the Reds are doing.

The Brewers tried to build with hitters and their plan really hasn't worked.  I always wondered what is the best way and I am not sure if there is a true answer. 

I think the Pirates' rebuilding plan was very sound. Good drafting, developing pitching prospects and position players like Marte, Polanco, Bell, Meadows, Newman, etc. Unfortunately, the financial aspect plays a huge part in hindering the team's efforts. Where other teams will develop prospects and then add additional impact players via trade or free agency, the Pirates will only go with what they can develop or acquire without big contracts. It's not even a question of becoming a big spender. But the org consistently maintains one of the 5 or 6 lowest payrolls in MLB rather than supplementing the prospects by bringing in quality players that might raise the payroll to middle of the pack status. They've been willing to go to the 9-11 million range for a few (Cervelli, Liriano, Nova) but then seem financially strapped even though the total payroll remains near the bottom of MLB. I think if Nutting were to loosen the purse strings just to the mid-MLB level, he would find that the rebuilding plan is quite good and that it only takes another couple of players to make it all jell. 

Maybe if this year doesn't turn into a very good year Mr. Nutting will be willing to test your theory. I don't if NH tells Nutting that he knows he can win with financial restraints or if he lobbies for more funds but imo he should be lobbying for an increase all the time and Frank should be supporting that.