What would another GM do?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: The ransom that he gave away on Liriano are both hitting under .200 in their second go around at AA.
True, but Meadows is only hitting .200 right now. I think it's way too early to judge these prospects.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/regis ... guir001ree

Reese McGuire has a sub .700 OPS in 1300 ML at bats.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Besides the deals already discussed here, I'd think that the Joel Hanrahan trade would count as moving a "major piece" to people viewing it from outside Pirateland.  Still, not all that many major deals, but by far the biggest of which (Jason Bay) was a big fat zero on the Pirates end. 

Oh, and also--about what McGuire and Ramirez--I don't care if they never do anything at all. That is totally besides the point of why people don't like the deal. The fact is that they had perceived value, and we flushed that value down the toilet for not good reason whatsoever.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1A2824243002212825202F28490 wrote: Besides the deals already discussed here, I'd think that the Joel Hanrahan trade would count as moving a "major piece" to people viewing it from outside Pirateland.  Still, not all that many major deals, but by far the biggest of which (Jason Bay) was a big fat zero on the Pirates end. 

Oh, and also--about what McGuire and Ramirez--I don't care if they never do anything at all.  That is totally besides the point of why people don't like the deal.  The fact is that they had perceived value, and we flushed that value down the toilet for not good reason whatsoever. 

I thought of Hanrahan. Brock Holt was in that trade too. The Melancon return was very good.

Perceived value to who? Us fans see a #1 pick in McGuire. But McGuire wasn't getting better. Ramirez was doing well, but many experts view him as a reserve.

Trading for Trevor Williams might help that 2013 draft for the Pirates. That year hasn't produced many players...yet.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

We gave them two prospects in return for the honor of also giving them one of our top five starters.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

33010D0D192B08010C090601600 wrote: Besides the deals already discussed here, I'd think that the Joel Hanrahan trade would count as moving a "major piece" to people viewing it from outside Pirateland.  Still, not all that many major deals, but by far the biggest of which (Jason Bay) was a big fat zero on the Pirates end. 

Oh, and also--about what McGuire and Ramirez--I don't care if they never do anything at all.  That is totally besides the point of why people don't like the deal.  The fact is that they had perceived value, and we flushed that value down the toilet for not good reason whatsoever. 

Perceived value to whom? So NH gave the Blue Jays two guys with only perceived value, and they basically gave us $16M.

And while Liriano has been serviceable, he's not the guy the Pirates wanted when they gave him the $13M/year contract.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

724F515C53595270584F5E58593D0 wrote: The ransom that he gave away on Liriano are both hitting under .200 in their second go around at AA.
True, but Meadows is only hitting .200 right now. I think it's way too early to judge these prospects.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/regis ... guir001ree

Reese McGuire has a sub .700 OPS in 1300 ML at bats. 

Elias Diaz has a .683 OPS after more than 2000 minor league ABs.

NH still hasn't developed a major league catcher after a decade on the job.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

407D636E616B60426A7D6C6A6B0F0 wrote: Besides the deals already discussed here, I'd think that the Joel Hanrahan trade would count as moving a "major piece" to people viewing it from outside Pirateland.  Still, not all that many major deals, but by far the biggest of which (Jason Bay) was a big fat zero on the Pirates end. 

Perceived value to whom?  So NH gave the Blue Jays two guys with only perceived value, and they basically gave us $16M.

And while Liriano has been serviceable, he's not the guy the Pirates wanted when they gave him the $13M/year contract.

Our organization would be better at both the major and minor league levels if we hadn't make that trade. I'm not really sure how else you're supposed to analyze a deal.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

192B27273301222B26232C2B4A0 wrote:

Our organization would be better at both the major and minor league levels if we hadn't make that trade.  I'm not really sure how else you're supposed to analyze a deal.

I disagree, if they don't make that trade, then they don't trade for Nova in the first place. Unless you'd argue that Liriano > Nova, then that's an agree to disagree.

I also don't know how the minor league system is better giving starting jobs in Altoona to two non-prospects.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If it's Liriano vs Nova then obviously you're right.  Not sure it's an either/or though.  I don't think moved starters in previous seasons before we picked one up.

And hey, I'm overall positive on on our GM's tenure and think the naysayers go way overboard.  I just think both sides tend to over-argue their cases, trying to argue positives into negatives and vice versa. 

As far as the current situation goes, I'm still for making a trade for a (reasonable) outfielder.  That should put the roleplayers back in the roles that are right for them.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I doubt Nova is a Pirate if Liriano was still around. I prefer Nova at this point. Liriano was great for the Pirates and deserves a lot of credit. But he was awful in 2016 and Nova has been so much better this year (Liriano has one quality start - failed to reach the 6th inning in three starts and over 90 pitches).

I think we, the fans, are overvaluing McGuire and Ramirez. Huntington might not have produced a Catcher yet, but he did bring in two very good ones.