McCutchen's drop off

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

McCutchen's drop off

Post by notes34 »

0B303A311D590 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

What a shame that is the mentality of Pirates fans. We have a superstar that has been the face of this franchise, a homegrown MVP and all we can think about is what we will get in a trade.
Ecbucs

McCutchen's drop off

Post by Ecbucs »

7E7F6475632324100 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

What a shame that is the mentality of Pirates fans. We have a superstar that has been the face of this franchise, a homegrown MVP  and all we can think about is what we will get in a trade.

Well, it is the mentality that the GM and owner have said that fans should have.
RichD

McCutchen's drop off

Post by RichD »

34352E3F29696E5A0 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

What a shame that is the mentality of Pirates fans. We have a superstar that has been the face of this franchise, a homegrown MVP  and all we can think about is what we will get in a trade.

I think Cutch has been a fine player for us. But he has just had about 2 good months of play in the last season and a half.

Thankfully 1 of those months was this past june. We need to cash in on that. Do you really think Cutch is a $20 mil type of player now. I don`t . I dont`get to attached to players anymore. When Bonds left that killed me.Since then, I`m always on the look out for young guys that we can get a solid 5 years from and then let them go.
Docjon49

McCutchen's drop off

Post by Docjon49 »

407B717A56120 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

I think Cutch has been a fine player for us. But he has just had about 2 good months of play in the last season and a half.

Thankfully 1 of those months was this past june. We need to cash in on that. Do you really think Cutch is a $20 mil type of player now. I don`t . I dont`get to attached to players anymore. When Bonds left that killed me.Since then, I`m always on the look out for young guys that we can get a solid 5 years from and then let them go.

We'd be foolish if we didn't take this opportunity to test the waters. See if he can't pull in some top prospects, giving us 6+ ML seasons EACH, for 1.5 seasons of Cutch. We'd be brass-plated morons if we signed him now. He was bad FOR A YEAR AND A HALF, and he's had what? 6 good weeks? Cutch isn't the Cutch of 2 years ago, and even if we sign him, we aren't going to ever see that Cutch again. We'll be paying him MORE for the player he was, while he declines and does less. Even if you think his bat is back, his knees are not getting younger.

We NEED to repopulate the farm system, because as things are, the Pirates cannot or will not buy their way to a championship. Hell, the couple of years when ONE GOOD PLAYER could have pushed us into the playoffs, they did not do it. We play the hand we're dealt, not the hand we wish we had. Cutch could buy us 12+ years of ML players, maybe even 18+ years of ML players. If the FO does their job, there will be all-stars in the trade.

This team is going nowhere this year, so we'd only be giving up, possibly, one year where a good performance from Cutch can help the team. Weigh that against what a good trade could bring back in return for that one year, and it's a no-brainer. Keeping Cutch is not going to put us into the playoffs. A good haul in a trade could put us in contention for the playoffs for years.
Ecbucs

McCutchen's drop off

Post by Ecbucs »

6B404C4540411B162F0 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

We'd be foolish if we didn't take this opportunity to test the waters.  See if he can't pull in some top prospects, giving us 6+ ML seasons EACH, for 1.5 seasons of Cutch.  We'd be brass-plated morons if we signed him now.  He was bad FOR A YEAR AND A HALF, and he's had what?  6 good weeks?  Cutch isn't the Cutch of 2 years ago, and even if we sign him, we aren't going to ever see that Cutch again.  We'll be paying him MORE for the player he was, while he declines and does less.  Even if you think his bat is back, his knees are not getting younger.

We NEED to repopulate the farm system, because as things are, the Pirates cannot or will not buy their way to a championship.  Hell, the couple of years when ONE GOOD PLAYER could have pushed us into the playoffs, they did not do it.  We play the hand we're dealt, not the hand we wish we had.  Cutch could buy us 12+ years of ML players, maybe even 18+ years of ML players.  If the FO does their job, there will be all-stars in the trade.

This team is going nowhere this year, so we'd only be giving up, possibly, one year where a good performance from Cutch can help the team.  Weigh that against what a good trade could bring back in return for that one year, and it's a no-brainer.  Keeping Cutch is not going to put us into the playoffs.  A good haul in a trade could put us in contention for the playoffs for years.

I don't trust Neal H. in making a big trade.

The players on the 25 man roster that he originally trade for are:

Cervelli

Nova

Bastardo

Williams

Harrison

LeBlanc

Rivero

Jaso, Freese, Hudson, Nicasio were free agents.
Docjon49

McCutchen's drop off

Post by Docjon49 »

0D2B2A3D2B3B480 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

We'd be foolish if we didn't take this opportunity to test the waters.  See if he can't pull in some top prospects, giving us 6+ ML seasons EACH, for 1.5 seasons of Cutch.  We'd be brass-plated morons if we signed him now.  He was bad FOR A YEAR AND A HALF, and he's had what?  6 good weeks?  Cutch isn't the Cutch of 2 years ago, and even if we sign him, we aren't going to ever see that Cutch again.  We'll be paying him MORE for the player he was, while he declines and does less.  Even if you think his bat is back, his knees are not getting younger.

We NEED to repopulate the farm system, because as things are, the Pirates cannot or will not buy their way to a championship.  Hell, the couple of years when ONE GOOD PLAYER could have pushed us into the playoffs, they did not do it.  We play the hand we're dealt, not the hand we wish we had.  Cutch could buy us 12+ years of ML players, maybe even 18+ years of ML players.  If the FO does their job, there will be all-stars in the trade.

This team is going nowhere this year, so we'd only be giving up, possibly, one year where a good performance from Cutch can help the team.  Weigh that against what a good trade could bring back in return for that one year, and it's a no-brainer.  Keeping Cutch is not going to put us into the playoffs.  A good haul in a trade could put us in contention for the playoffs for years.

I don't trust Neal H. in making a big trade.

The players on the 25 man roster that he originally trade for are:

Cervelli

Nova

Bastardo

Williams

Harrison

LeBlanc

Rivero

Jaso, Freese, Hudson, Nicasio were free agents.

Well, then, why trust him to pick for the draft? Or find Latin American players? Or sign free agents?
notes34

McCutchen's drop off

Post by notes34 »

1E252F24084C0 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

Are you serious? Cutch has been a "fine" player for us. He's been one of the best players on the planet for most of his time here. The mentality of our fan base just dismays me. We've all been programmed to think about the payroll, and making the right financial moves instead of the right baseball moves. When Cutch had a down year, and he did there was still reason to believe he would turn it around. Does anyone remember his thumb was injured to the point he had to completely change the way he gripped a bat? Maybe that had a little to do with last season? Now he is back to playing like the #22 we are used to seeing. I had suggested during last season we should approach Cutch and see if he would be willing to sign an extension. How would that look now?
Bobster21

McCutchen's drop off

Post by Bobster21 »

55544F5E48080F3B0 wrote: We must get a haul from trading Cutch. We need to find a Giles /Bay type.

Are you serious? Cutch has been a "fine" player for us. He's been one of the best players on the planet for most of his time here. The mentality of our fan base  just dismays me. We've all been programmed to think about the payroll, and making the right financial moves instead of the right baseball moves. When Cutch had a down year, and he did there was still reason to believe he would turn it around. Does anyone remember his thumb was injured to the point he had to completely change the way he gripped a bat? Maybe that had a little to do with last season? Now he is back to playing like the #22 we are used to seeing. I had suggested during last season we should approach Cutch and see if he would be willing to sign an extension. How would that look now?
I agree. While Cutch had a bad 2016 and a bad start this year, he was one of MLB's best players before that. An MVP and finished in the top 5 in MVP voting 3 other times. What we're seeing now looks more like the Cutch we expected to see and not an aberration. Pirate fans have been conditioned to think in terms of trading away talent for prospects because the FO prefers to do that. It keeps payroll low but never puts the team over the top. Even if they trade Cutch for a handful of outstanding prospects, what happens when those prospects become good MLB players and start earning more money? They will be traded for prospects. :'(
dmetz

McCutchen's drop off

Post by dmetz »

Wow, this guy is just DESTROYING the baseball. Keep it going man.

surely there can be no excuses for not bringing back an army of talent right? Surely. and I will not stop calling you Shirley.
RichD

McCutchen's drop off

Post by RichD »

You gotta keep turning over players,get 5-7 years from them and let them go. Why pay for guys age 33 and up big money. Then you will have some bad contracts .Sure you may lose out on a few who can keep up a standard of play (David Ortiz) .But you wont get stuck with the Joe Mauer or Make Texeia type contracts.