extend Cutch at a decent price or trade him undervalued?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

Paying McCutchen huge money for 4-5 years is absolutely paying him on the wrong side of his career. Very few are the players who age well anymore.

Take a look at the roster we are playing tonight. Third highest payroll in baseball. Full of guys in their early to mid thirties who got paid big time and then got old. Cabrera may be the perfect example and he still has something like 5 years of getting paid.

Lots of teams don't pay for older players. It's not just the "cheapskate" Pirates. Remember the outcry along the Mississippi river when the Cards wouldn't pay the extra few million for Pujols. They look pretty smart now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

65785C5E50350 wrote: Paying McCutchen huge money for 4-5 years is absolutely paying him on the wrong side of his career.  Very few are the players who age well anymore.

Take a look at the roster we are playing tonight.  Third highest payroll in baseball.  Full of guys in their early to mid thirties who got paid big time and then got old.  Cabrera may be the perfect example and he still has something like 5 years of getting paid.

Lots of teams don't pay for older players.  It's not just the "cheapskate" Pirates.  Remember the outcry along the Mississippi river when the Cards wouldn't pay the extra few million for Pujols.  They look pretty smart now.

I totally agree with this.

When you give big money to guys in their 30's, you end up like the Tigers. The Tigers did get real close in winning a WS from 2011 - 2014.

Would one player hurt? I wouldn't want an eight or ten year extension for McCutchen. I would go three for sure, four is getting in that risky area.

Winning one World Series would erase all the pain. The Pirates could go on and lose for ten years straight and I wouldn't care. I'd be disappointed, but would love-love that one year more than hate-hate the rest.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the Tigers are an example of why you don't sign players for big Bucs in their mid and late 30's.

Cutch on a 4 or 5 year deal should be ok in Pittsburgh.

If he wants a longer term deal it will need to be elsewhere.

The question in my mind is whether the Bucs will even offer a 4 or 5 year deal at what they think is market rate.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would offer Cutch a four year deal at a total about 75 million. If he turns it down we can trade him, or keep him in 2018 and let him walk. The comment of the Tigers being strapped with large contracts is an example which the Bucs cannot do. Remember back about 12 years ago how the Kendall ten million per year contract put a strain on the Pirates budget.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Bucs could afford $60 over 3 years.

2018 option 14.5 mill just give him a raise to $20m

2019 $20m

2020 $20m

So it would be a 2 year extension.We can trade him after 2019 .

If we dont make playoffs in next two years.Will have to move Marte or Polonco cant see Pirates paying everyone.
BenM

Post by BenM »

The Tigers are an example of a team with an old owner who was willing to spend anything to win before he died. I hope (for Bob Nutting's sake) that's not where the Pirates are.

Most of the emphasis here is on how teams screw up spending money, but Zobrist, Lackey and Lester were all 30 plus big contract (relative to the Bucs) guys who helped the Cubs win the World Series.

The idea isn't to spend blindly money. You spend money smartly to win.

And if I were Cutch and got offered a contract that offered less money per year than Russell Martin is making ($20 million per over the next three years.) I would be offended.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4562694A070 wrote: The Tigers are an example of a team with an old owner who was willing to spend anything to win before he died. I hope (for Bob Nutting's sake) that's not where the Pirates are.

Most of the emphasis here is on how teams screw up spending money, but Zobrist, Lackey and Lester were all 30 plus big contract (relative to the Bucs) guys who helped the Cubs win the World Series.

The idea isn't to spend blindly money. You spend money smartly to win.

And if I were Cutch and got offered a contract that offered less money per year than Russell Martin is making ($20 million per over the next three years.) I would be offended.

right, and with his offensive rebound, Cutch is the Bucs best offensive player. Unless Bell improves dramatically, Cutch is likely to be the best hitter on the team for the next few years (I don't think Marte, Meadows or Polanco are going to get to Cutch level as hitters).
RichD

Post by RichD »

Cutch 30 yo 9 seasons $50.1 mill career earnings +$1 mil opt out

Justin Upton 29 yo 10 seasons $95.4 mill career earnings + $88 mill future earnings.

Cutch has to be just sick to his stomach seeing stuff like this .

Cutch will want to get paid none of this i like Pittsburgh discount.Heck he can always stay solid with the city even if he leaves.

Justin Upton i have never liked he doesnt put a team over top.He just gets stats.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1532391A570 wrote:

Do you think Martin is overpaid? Martin has made the playoffs nine out of his twelve years in the league. Does his current contract now hurt his team going forward?

Martin hasn't lived up to his contract. He is probably a great leader and is still a fine defensive catcher, but his .233 average the last three years is alarming for $20 million a year. Martin cashed in on his 2014 season.

If based on Martin's contract and production, McCutchen is worth $30 million a year. Martin isn't worth $20 million a year.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

This discount Cutch would have to take in order to sign here with the way we spend money makes this kind of silly.

His huge rebound to MVP numbers all bit guarantees he's not a Pirate.

They're going to have to trade him this offseason. Since we won't pay.