Nicassio and LeBlanc placed on Irrevoccable Waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7D5A4B4F4A57685C4B4A4A572E0 wrote: I think this is a salary dump for the Cards to possibly allow them to go after Stanton in the offseason.

I truly don't think that STL has the assets to get Stanton. Trading its third best starter might create space $$$ wise, but it doesn't do anything to help add assets to deal to Florida/Miami or whatever they are called now.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: This is not about finding innings for other guys. How many times has Hurdle said some relievers were unavailable because of too much work? There's plenty of bullpen innings when starters rarely go more than 5 or 6 innings. And if nothing else, Nicasio could offer veteran advice to younger pitchers. This move is only about saving the $660,000 remaining on his contract. Not 6 million. $660,000. But no surprise really. Not after giving away 2 prospects to rid themselves of Liriano's contract. (And BTW-McGuire is hitting .291 with 6 HRs in just 103 ABs in AA.) So they didn't have to pay Kang and only had to pay Marte half his salary. But now they are desperate just to save enough on Nicasio to pay someone minimal salary next year. This from the team that opened the season ranked 23rd of 30 in team payroll. This is embarrassing.

Agree. Our bullpen is used more frequently than almost any other team in MLB because our starters can't go further in games. It's one thing to have a set up like KC had a few years ago when they went 6 and then hand it over to Herrera, Davis and Holland. It's another when our's can't go six or do and then we hand it over to ...., .... and ...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates bullpen ranks 12th in MLB in Innings Pitched.

I can't believe they are 19th in Runs and 20th in Earned Runs allowed in MLB. It had to be a pretty bad year for relief pitching overall. I thought the bullpen was terrible this year, but pretty good compared to the rest of baseball (9th in ERA).
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: This is not about finding innings for other guys. How many times has Hurdle said some relievers were unavailable because of too much work? There's plenty of bullpen innings when starters rarely go more than 5 or 6 innings. And if nothing else, Nicasio could offer veteran advice to younger pitchers. This move is only about saving the $660,000 remaining on his contract. Not 6 million. $660,000. But no surprise really. Not after giving away 2 prospects to rid themselves of Liriano's contract. (And BTW-McGuire is hitting .291 with 6 HRs in just 103 ABs in AA.) So they didn't have to pay Kang and only had to pay Marte half his salary. But now they are desperate just to save enough on Nicasio to pay someone minimal salary next year. This from the team that opened the season ranked 23rd of 30 in team payroll. This is embarrassing.

It is also a courtesy to Nicasio, assuming he wants to go to a contender.  I am sure players appreciate that.  The player is going to get paid no matter what.

What about the Pirates left behind that didn't get that courtesy? Are they ticked off that they weren't waived?
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Is their anyone else on an expiring contract that someone else would potentially be interested in?
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

68616978760C0 wrote: Courtesy of Jeff Todd, MLBTR: 8/29/17

" MLBTR’s Steve Adams ranked him (Nicasio) second among remaining August trade candidates a few days ago. But it could well be that Nicasio was claimed and then pulled back from revocable waivers earlier this month. In that event, it makes good sense for the club to simply hope to find a taker for the salary, though it’s somewhat curious that the team did not utilize irrevocable trade waivers (rather than outright waivers) in case he does clear.

It seems reasonable to expect multiple teams to place claims on Nicasio. First dibs will go to the National League, in reverse order of the standings. Because he’s a free agent at season’s end, only clubs with strong postseason aspirations will be interested. Teams further back in the standings — the Marlins and Cardinals — could consider making a move for Nicasio, though perhaps their odds are too slim to justify the expense. The Brewers, Cubs, and Rockies (in that order) would be next in line. "

So please, let's have a little spoonful of reality for once  ::)

Nobody on the outside knows the reality of the situation. But here's what we do know:

1. The Pirates were still trying to compete at the trade deadline.

2. They were actively shopping Watson who had more value than Nicasio (former closer, left handed and much better overall career). They traded him for not all that much.

3. They replace Watson by getting Benoit for basically nothing. Benoit sucked for the Pirates but he pitched pretty well this season for the Phillies and also has had a better career than Nicasio.

4. They may have placed Nicasio on revocable waivers after the deadline. He may have been selected. But there is no way the Pirates were offered anything of consequence even if that is reality. The deadline deals above establish that. And, if we had any doubts:

5. We picked up Kontos for free after the deadline who has had a better career than Nicasio and has some control left.

So, I don't know if the organization should feel compelled to shed $600,000 or not, but I am quite confident this was not a missed opportunity for a big trade.

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

080D0A0C040E170A0310161B620 wrote: Is their anyone else on an expiring contract that someone else would potentially be interested in?

Answering my own question: Unless the web page I found was out of date, they only remaining free agents are Benoit & Jaso and I'm not sure anyone would want either one.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5D7B7A6D7B6B180 wrote: This is not about finding innings for other guys. How many times has Hurdle said some relievers were unavailable because of too much work? There's plenty of bullpen innings when starters rarely go more than 5 or 6 innings. And if nothing else, Nicasio could offer veteran advice to younger pitchers. This move is only about saving the $660,000 remaining on his contract. Not 6 million. $660,000. But no surprise really. Not after giving away 2 prospects to rid themselves of Liriano's contract. (And BTW-McGuire is hitting .291 with 6 HRs in just 103 ABs in AA.) So they didn't have to pay Kang and only had to pay Marte half his salary. But now they are desperate just to save enough on Nicasio to pay someone minimal salary next year. This from the team that opened the season ranked 23rd of 30 in team payroll. This is embarrassing.

It is also a courtesy to Nicasio, assuming he wants to go to a contender.  I am sure players appreciate that.  The player is going to get paid no matter what.

What about the Pirates left behind that didn't get that courtesy?  Are they ticked off that they weren't waived?

They might be ticked. There might have been contract talks for an extension for Nicasio, but he refused.

Benoit is on the DL. Jaso and Stewart are also options, but they might be needed down the stretch with injured players. Stewart might be back next year (ugh). They probably don't want to ruin that relationship. I would do the same to Jaso as Nicasio, but he is still playing as he is the only lefty on the bench right now.

Its a weird move for sure as I thought Nicasio would be wanted by someone for something. Huntington might have held on to him too long, then it got to the point to just waiver wire him and wish him the best.

If I was Nicasio, I would look at it as a thank you compared to the Pirates not actually wanting him on the team.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

7C594A5F43484342474F2B0 wrote: Courtesy of Jeff Todd, MLBTR: 8/29/17

" MLBTR’s Steve Adams ranked him (Nicasio) second among remaining August trade candidates a few days ago. But it could well be that Nicasio was claimed and then pulled back from revocable waivers earlier this month. In that event, it makes good sense for the club to simply hope to find a taker for the salary, though it’s somewhat curious that the team did not utilize irrevocable trade waivers (rather than outright waivers) in case he does clear.

It seems reasonable to expect multiple teams to place claims on Nicasio. First dibs will go to the National League, in reverse order of the standings. Because he’s a free agent at season’s end, only clubs with strong postseason aspirations will be interested. Teams further back in the standings — the Marlins and Cardinals — could consider making a move for Nicasio, though perhaps their odds are too slim to justify the expense. The Brewers, Cubs, and Rockies (in that order) would be next in line. "

So please, let's have a little spoonful of reality for once  ::)

Nobody on the outside knows the reality of the situation.  But here's what we do know:

1.  The Pirates were still trying to compete at the trade deadline. 

2. They were actively shopping Watson who had more value than Nicasio (former closer, left handed and much better overall career). They traded him for not all that much.

3. They replace Watson by getting Benoit for basically nothing. Benoit sucked for the Pirates but he pitched pretty well this season for the Phillies and also has had a better career than Nicasio.

4. They may have placed Nicasio on revocable waivers after the deadline.  He may have been selected. But there is no way the Pirates were offered anything of consequence even if that is reality.  The deadline deals above establish that. And, if we had any doubts:

5. We picked up Kontos for free after the deadline who has had a better career than Nicasio and has some control left.

So, I don't know if the organization should feel compelled to shed $600,000 or not, but I am quite confident this was not a missed opportunity for a big trade.

I agree 100%, what do fans think the Pirates were going to get for a relief pitcher who is a FA in a month? Nothing!

Letting Nicasio go is as much a courtesy for him knowing they could not get anything back in trade. So yes, they are saving $, but that does not seem like the motivator for me.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Been a Pirates fan since 1957, but this current front office has me baffled! It appears that Bottom Line Bob doesn't want to spend any dollars on a good reliever now that the Bucs appear to be out of contention.

This Organization is quickly becoming an _____backwards outfit with no regard for the fans or the players. What the heck is it going to take to make the Bucco Front Office take some heat and sell this team to someone who is committed to winning!!!

Disappointed :'(... and Embarrassed :-[

Bucs Fan in GA

Beat'em Bucs