Cutch dealt to Giants

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by RichD »

I'm liking the two OF prospects both should be in AA to start the season .The guys that are in the org. aren't very good at that level ...Moran was the guy I wanted and we got him. Few arms added to the mix hopefully one pans out. Bucs have a lot of pitchers they need to sift through and find the right spot for them. Make or break season for Glasnow and Kingman .Hopefully Meadows can get a full healthy season under his belt.Looking forward to the season. 8-)
BenM

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by BenM »

6C6B7A697A2B261F0 wrote: : Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic tweets that the Pirates are covering $2.5MM of McCutchen’s $14.75MM salary.

That probably helped in getting Reynolds thrown in.

We also get 500K (rights not the money) in International Bonus money. I think this deal is a little better than the Cole return . Neither was spectacular but obviously "the market was the market."

Does that money really help the team? From what I understand (and anyone feel free to correct me), The Pirates already had more money than almost all of the teams that didn't bulk up to sign Otahni. The money has to be spent this period. It doesn't carry over. Latin American signings rely heavily on relationships and Gayo's firing had to have an impact on that. And many of the better players (including those released from the Cards) have signed already.

Or, as someone mentioned earlier, are they just going to spend $100k each on 25 random dudes?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

75656453454549260 wrote: Crick was a first round pick and did start in 2016 in the minors. Maybe he is considered a starter for the Pirates? 

The guy has control issues.  Not exactly what you want for a starter.  He is a disaster on the mound when it comes to control.

Disaster. Wow, that's bad. Is he good at anything? Is it mechanical? Can he be changed?
Quail

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by Quail »

I'm really disappointed that we didn't hang on to Tony Watson. Imagine a Watson-Crick backend of our bullpen. Might not make the playoffs but we'd probably get some Nobel Prize votes.
SCBucco

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by SCBucco »

092D393134580 wrote: I'm really disappointed that we didn't hang on to Tony Watson. Imagine a Watson-Crick backend of our bullpen. Might not make the playoffs but we'd probably get some Nobel Prize votes.

I laughed at this one. Very creative.
SammyKhalifa

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0226323A3F530 wrote: I'm really disappointed that we didn't hang on to Tony Watson. Imagine a Watson-Crick backend of our bullpen. Might not make the playoffs but we'd probably get some Nobel Prize votes.

ha, nice.
Ecbucs

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by Ecbucs »

10373C1F520 wrote: : Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic tweets that the Pirates are covering $2.5MM of McCutchen’s $14.75MM salary.

We also get 500K (rights not the money) in International Bonus money. I think this deal is a little better than the Cole return . Neither was spectacular but obviously "the market was the market."

Does that money really help the team? From what I understand (and anyone feel free to correct me), The Pirates already had more money than almost all of the teams that didn't bulk up to sign Otahni. The money has to be spent this period. It doesn't carry over. Latin American signings rely heavily on relationships and Gayo's firing had to have an impact on that. And many of the better players (including those released from the Cards) have signed already.

Or, as someone mentioned earlier, are they just going to spend $100k each on 25 random dudes?

it gets the Bucs back the international bonus slot amount that was traded to the Phillies for rule 5 pick Nick Burdi
SammyKhalifa

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by SammyKhalifa »

715756415747340 wrote: : Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic tweets that the Pirates are covering $2.5MM of McCutchen’s $14.75MM salary.

it gets the Bucs back the international bonus slot amount that was traded to the Phillies for rule 5 pick Nick Burdi

That in exchange for straight cash sounds like a way to finagle money to keep SF under the cap
BenM

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by BenM »

557372657363100 wrote: : Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic tweets that the Pirates are covering $2.5MM of McCutchen’s $14.75MM salary.

But are they going to use it?
CTBucco

Cutch dealt to Giants

Post by CTBucco »

694E45662B0 wrote:

But are they going to use it?

Hopefully they can use it to sign that Mexican catcher they were reported to be scouting. I'm just not sure if he's eligible in this signing period or next since I think he's only 16 now, and I'm not sure if he turns 17 before July 2nd or after.