4/29 game thread. Kingham vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

The most interesting part about their 98-win 2015 season was their poor in division record. I would suggest everyone go look at those numbers. They played probably over.800 baseball against the NL east and west, and something like that against the AL. They might have been under .500 in the division in a year that the reds and brewers were bad.

I believe that was the greatest indication for a potential decline going into the 2016 season. The teams most familiar with the Pirates were the ones that played them the best. That coupled with the umps taking away the low strike made the pirate pitchers come up in the zone where they got mashed. (see Liriano).

It sounds like this iteration of the pirates has moved off analytics and video a bit. The offense is still putting up strong overall numbers, even with the recent struggles of their 2 and 4 hitters. I don't know what their strategy, but they've definitely changed their identity since their past run.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0538262B242E25072F38292F2E4A0 wrote: The most interesting part about their 98-win 2015 season was their poor in division record. I would suggest everyone go look at those numbers. They played probably over.800 baseball against the NL east and west, and something like that against the AL. They might have been under .500 in the division in a year that the reds and brewers were bad.

I believe that was the greatest indication for a potential decline going into the 2016 season. The teams most familiar with the Pirates were the ones that played them the best. That coupled with the umps taking away the low strike made the pirate pitchers come up in the zone where they got mashed. (see Liriano).

It sounds like this iteration of the pirates has moved off analytics and video a bit. The offense is still putting up strong overall numbers, even with the recent struggles of their 2 and 4 hitters. I don't know what their strategy, but they've definitely changed their identity since their past run.

Hard to quantify your point but I think there may be something to it. Example - I bet there is near 100% agreement on the board that Clint is managing very differently than in past seasons.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Offense: 2nd in the NL in Batting average. 3rd in OPS. 2nd in Slugging. 2nd in Runs. Leads the NL in Sacrifice flies (12). Fewest K's in the NL (whoa, what happened here?? this is a big change)

Pitching: 10th in ERA. 1st easily in wild pitches (something is going on with this). CS% is good and only have allowed 10 steals. 13th in K/9 (uh oh) Everything else is in the middle. Not real good team pitching numbers.

The offensive numbers we're still putting up are surprising to me considering the low levels of individual production we're getting from key lineup pieces.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates are in one of five teams in the Top 10:

-Most runs scored per game

-Fewest Runs per game allowed

The other teams are Cubs, Astros, Braves and Red Sox.

*Joe Block tweeted this today*
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3C373F3336372C696F182139303737763B37580 wrote: The Pirates are in one of five teams in the Top 10:

I would wager a lot of those runs per game are in games where we score MASSIVE amounts of runs (instead of staying around our average), and we have more of those super blowout totals than most.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

11232F2F3B092A232E2B2423420 wrote: The Pirates are in one of five teams in the Top 10:

I would wager a lot of those runs per game are in games where we score MASSIVE amounts of runs (instead of staying around our average), and we have more of those super blowout totals than most. 

Exactly.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: The Pirates are in one of five teams in the Top 10:

I don't understand how the second part can be true if we are 11th in team ERA.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F6F6E594F4F432C0 wrote: The Pirates are in one of five teams in the Top 10:

Exactly.
Pirates have scored 140 runs in first 28 games for avg of 5.0.

Breakdown:

14 runs (1 time)

13 (1)

10 (2)

8 (3)

7 (1)

6 (3)

5 (5)

4 (1)

3 (1)

2 (4)

1 (4)

0 (2)

So they've scored their average of 5 runs more often than any other amount. Throw out the 4 highest (the double-digit scores) and the 4 lowest and the average is a similar 4.6.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: The Pirates are in one of five teams in the Top 10:

Exactly.
Pirates have scored 140 runs in first 28 games for avg of 5.0.

Breakdown:

14 runs (1 time)

13 (1)

10 (2)

8 (3)

7 (1)

6 (3)

5 (5)

4 (1)

3 (1)

2 (4)

1 (4)

0 (2)

So they've scored their average of 5 runs more often than any other amount. Throw out the 4 highest (the double-digit scores) and the 4 lowest and the average is a similar 4.6.

I guess what I mean is that we never score 3 or 4 (I didn't know those exact numbers but thanks). 

My impression from just watching the games is that we either pour it on, or the bats are totally cold.  I know scoring is up in the league, but in my mind I still consider 5 runs to be kind of a lot, 3-4 more normal, and <3 not very good.  The scoring curve has a giant dip in the middle.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

In 2015 when they had 98 wins, the Pirates averaged 4.3 runs a game. Toronto led the majors with 5.5 runs per game. The Yankees were second with 4.7 runs per game that year.

In 2017, 8 teams averaged over 5 runs a game. Only two teams averaged less than 4 runs a game last year.

I don't think it is unheard of for the Pirates to average 5 runs a game.