5/16 afternoon game thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Rodriguez is a fine back up for the short term. He has some big hits, but isn't really hitting overall. Rodriguez's defense has never been questioned. Osuna plays outfield too (well, he is listed as one), but he can't play CF. My suggestion was a way to get him in the line up replacing Rodriguez. I was also factoring in that the Padres were coming to town.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah don't take that as me being down on SROD, I just didn't know he would be decent at CF (I should have). A more traditional backup OF would be nice though
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Rodriguez is probably the best defensive player I have ever seen. He plays so many positions very well. He would win Gold Gloves if he started at 1B since he would be compared to larger, less athletic players in general.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

446964757263743437060 wrote: If Rodriguez hits a few HRs and raises his BA a little I doubt there will be many complaints about not having someone else in CF while Marte is out. He still has one of the lowest number of ABs on the team so he hasn't had a chance to get going. But in his last 4 games started (I'll include the game he entered in the 2nd inning for Marte and had 4 ABs) he's 4 for 14 (.286) with 2 2Bs, a 3B, 3 runs, 3 RBIs and 3 BBs. He's capable of providing some offense when he gets a chance to play more regularly.

Yep. If he can get into a couple over this stretch and play decent CF defense, it will be acceptable. Won't surprise me. The guy really drives the baseball when he makes contact with it.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Problem is he doesn't make contact enough.   
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

A very fair observation lol
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Tell him to pretend the ball is a water cooler
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

51636F6F7B496A636E6B6463020 wrote: Tell him to pretend the ball is a water cooler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnuN4k-a-BI" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I think our best option is Rodriguez. I've got to believe that the Pirates agree with Marte, that this won't require a lot of downtime. That's precisely why they changed the DL from 15 to 10 days, because teams were trying to ride it out for five to ten days with injured players, rather than DLing them and losing them for 15.

The fact that he sustained the injury three days ago, and they haven't DL'd him, indicates to me that they expect him back within a week.

So, I don't see a whole lot of good in bringing up Meadows for a week, probably being overmatched in his first taste of MLB anyway, and starting his service clock. I've never been hugely impressed with Bostick. I doubt either Meadows or Bostick would bring enough with the bat to outweigh Rodriguez's glove.

With Cervelli, fortunately, he got drilled on the meaty part of the arm. It probably hurt (and might still), but shouldn't have any long-term impact. And, Diaz has more than held his own with the glove and the bat.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Yesterday the Chisox announcers (who seemed not well informed about the Pirates) said Cervelli stated before the game that he was fine and was only sitting because it was a day game after a night game. Hopefully, they got that right.