Colin Moran

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

Musgrove is already a pretty good starter, with a good arsenal of pitches.  I believe he can be a very good starter and basically think he already is one.  A little worried about health issues.  He seems to have them regularly in his career so far.

Martin looks like a future starting OF for us.  He's a legit top prospect for us.  Nice looking player young for his levels.   Bat looks very good on the statsheet.   Looks almost ready to me.

I don't think NH needs Moran to work out to win that trade.   

I don't see how there's any surprises here.  There was wide discussion that Moran had changed his swing in AAA and those changes needed to hold for him to work out.   They haven't held and the defense is shoddy.

P.S. Abe nunez was a bad baseball player that McClendon played far too often.  I recall he used him as a pinch hitter regularly to double switch him onto a game 
Bobster21

Colin Moran

Post by Bobster21 »

666F677678020 wrote: Musgrove is already a pretty good starter, with a good arsenal of pitches.  I believe he can be a very good starter and basically think he already is one.  A little worried about health issues.  He seems to have them regularly in his career so far.

Martin looks like a future starting OF for us.  He's a legit top prospect for us.  Nice looking player young for his levels.   Bat looks very good on the statsheet.   Looks almost ready to me.

I don't think NH needs Moran to work out to win that trade.   

I don't see how there's any surprises here.  There was wide discussion that Moran had changed his swing in AAA and those changes needed to hold for him to work out.   They haven't held and the defense is shoddy.

P.S. Abe nunez was a bad baseball player that McClendon played far too often.  I recall he used him as a pinch hitter regularly to double switch him onto a game 
Even worse, McClendon often used him to PH (at which Nunez was awful) and didn't double switch so that his best defensive replacement was not available in the late innings. Between 1999-204 Nunez had 207 PH appearances and hit .160. McClendon was the most clueless manager I've ever seen and that's saying a lot.
Wrathchild

Colin Moran

Post by Wrathchild »

I don’t think anyone should be all that concerned about how Moran’s offense is composed. An OPS+ of 106 is what it is whether it’s high OBP/low SLG or some other composition. 106 is fine for a 3B. The problem is that his defense seems to completely counteract his reasonable offensive value. I think it’s too early to call him replacement but think he’s not going to be a suited for 3B starter. I never thought he was the primary piece for us in the Cole trade and agree that whatever value he ultimately provides won’t determine whether we feel good about that trade.
DemDog

Colin Moran

Post by DemDog »

Gotta say this about Moran.  He has one All-Star and near MVB* quality!  The beard guys!   

* Most Valuable Beard! ;D
Ecbucs

Colin Moran

Post by Ecbucs »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: Gotta say this about Moran.  He has one All-Star and near MVB* quality!  The beard guys!   

*  Most Valuable Beard!   ;D

He needs to play hockey.
dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

0F2A392C303B3031343C580 wrote: I don’t think anyone should be all that concerned about how Moran’s offense is composed. An OPS+ of 106 is what it is whether it’s high OBP/low SLG or some other composition. 106 is fine for a 3B. The problem is that his defense seems to completely counteract his reasonable offensive value. I think it’s too early to call him replacement but think he’s not going to be a suited for 3B starter.  I never thought he was the primary piece for us in the Cole trade and agree that whatever value he ultimately provides won’t determine whether we feel good about that trade.

90% agree. The move has to be getting him time at 1b. He may be able to field it alot better and he's played there before.
OrlandoMerced

Colin Moran

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I don't think Moran is ever going to supplant Bell at 1B, and I don't think he's destined to be just a Freese replacement on this team. I think Hayes could potentially push his way into the lineup next year, but that's not a given. I think Moran has been steady, but he certainly hasn't flashed anything to indicate he'll be a star. I think the OBP percentage has been solid and I hope he starts driving the ball more. I think he's a professional hitter that could take time to develop into a finished product. I think we're too quick to assume when a guy doesn't flash right away that he's stale. I expect Moran to seemingly plod along, while slowly molding himself into an asset for this team.
SammyKhalifa

Colin Moran

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He's a rookie right? And he hasn't embarrassed himself totally in his first year? I'd give him a little more rope before condemning him to the bench, but yeah it would be nice to see his bat pick up.
OrlandoMerced

Colin Moran

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Yeah, this is his first full year.
Wrathchild

Colin Moran

Post by Wrathchild »

I understand the desire to be patient and not rush to judgments on a young player; however, the issue with Moran is the same one that could be objectively seen with Bell two years ago. The aspects of his game that are dragging down his usefulness are ones that aren't at all likely to improve with time. Moran has been playing 3B his entire life and he's terrible. His instincts and quickness simply aren't going to get better with age. So, I accept that he's a slightly above average offensive player right now, but his defense is so bad that he's not very useful. Therefore, he has to improve his offense to well above average just to become a reasonable starting third baseman. And that's with the proviso that he doesn't get even worse defensively. It's possible he could dramatically improve offensively in a fairly short time, but I hope someone more likely to be better gets acquired or moves up the chain.