The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7A7271465075525D330 wrote: You know what bugs me about MLB? They always schedule playoff games in the middle of the afternoon. The whole regular season, most games are played in the evening, and then, in the postseason, because they want all eyes on each individual game, the put some on in the middle of the day. Problem is...most people have these things called jobs and school. Kind of tough to watch a game when you're trying to earn a living.
You make a valid point, but I don’t like games starting at 830 in the evening. Those who live in the eastern time zone have a difficult time watching the completion of a game when they need to be at work or school the next day. The Wild Card Game on Tuesday ended close to 1 A M which is late for many who need to be at work at 8 AM.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

676F6C5B4D684F402E0 wrote: You know what bugs me about MLB? They always schedule playoff games in the middle of the afternoon. The whole regular season, most games are played in the evening, and then, in the postseason, because they want all eyes on each individual game, the put some on in the middle of the day. Problem is...most people have these things called jobs and school. Kind of tough to watch a game when you're trying to earn a living.

I had teachers that let us watch some of the 1971 playoffs and series in school. Of course I also had a day when I rushed home only to find out the O's were killing the Bucs (I think it ended up 11-3 with Hebner hitting a homer).

BenM

Post by BenM »

The thing that annoys me is that the games are spread out over 28 different TV channels. TBS, MLB, ESPN (games 163), Fox Sports and Fox.

(I think that's all of them.)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Frankly I don't give a rat's arse about the game times or tv networks that MLB uses. Unless the Buccos are playing in the game I will switch to watching the Pens to get my sports fix.
PMike

Post by PMike »

73525A735850370 wrote: Frankly I don't give a rat's arse about the game times or tv networks that MLB uses.  Unless the Buccos are playing in the game I will switch to watching the Pens to get my sports  fix.

That's too bad for you. You are missing some great baseball games right now.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I canceled my TV a few months ago. I can only get games if I . . . . err, "borrow" . . . them from the Internet. So far I haven't felt the need with the non-Pirate playoff games.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Garrett Cole...12 SO, 0 walks, 1 run in 7 innings. Astros win 3-1.

Too bad we didn’t get to see this pitcher in a Pirate uniform....

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2324323A3423646811363C30383D7F323E3C510 wrote: Garrett Cole...12 SO, 0 walks, 1 run in 7 innings.  Astros win 3-1. 

This is the Cole we all expected when he was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He came closest to this in 2015 but this year he has yielded substantially fewer hits than innings and finally became the strikeout pitcher we thought he would be. You can't get a hit if you can't put the ball in play. This is a poor commentary on how the Pirates developed and coached Cole. Seems like everyone knew he had the ability to be the dominating pitcher he has become this year but something was always missing with the Pirates and he immediately demonstrated his potential as soon as he went to the Astros.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Twelve strikeouts is embarrassing. Obviously he's forgotten everything we taught him about pitching to contact. :)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

022F22333425327271400 wrote: Garrett Cole...12 SO, 0 walks, 1 run in 7 innings.  Astros win 3-1. 

This is the Cole we all expected when he was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He came closest to this in 2015 but this year he has yielded substantially fewer hits than innings and finally became the strikeout pitcher we thought he would be. You can't get a hit if you can't put the ball in play. This is a poor commentary on how the Pirates developed and coached Cole. Seems like everyone knew he had the ability to be the dominating pitcher he has become this year but something was always missing with the Pirates and he immediately demonstrated his potential as soon as he went to the Astros.

one of the advantages of pitch to contact is that pitchers can throw less pitches and perhaps go further into games.

However, when you think about it does it really make sense for the Pirates? They aren't going to sign pitchers for big contracts so why not see how pitchers can be most dominate? Cole's comments about differences between Astros and Bucs are telling. In my view he is being more complimentary about Astros rather than dissing the Bucs.