Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

NH promises more of the same pitching for 2020

Post by BenM »

Dave Dombrowski is available!
mouse

Post by mouse »

Apparently he even outspent the Red Sox budget. Imagine how he'd react to Pittsburgh.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It shows how differently teams act when they prioritize winning. The Red Sox are the defending WS champs and are currently 9 games over .500 but not doing well enough in their division. So they fire the GM.

When the Pirates went from 98 wins in 2015 to 78 wins in 2016 to 75 wins in 2017 they gave their GM and manager 4 year extensions. Go figure. :-?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

If the Pirates really do have a well respected management team the Red Sox would want to talk to some of them.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Wouldn’t it be a surprise if NH was contacted to interview for the vacant Boston GM position. Neal is originally from the New England area. If he was hired for that position, I would expect a new GM would want to hire a new Pirate manager, and some other front office positions would change.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

2D21207B727B737E79667C4B0 wrote: Wouldn’t it be a surprise if NH was contacted to interview for the vacant Boston GM position. Neal is originally from the New England area. If he was hired for that position, I would expect a new GM would want to hire a new Pirate manager, and some other front office positions would change.

Neal would never take that job. He’s committed to winning a WS for The Pirates....
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E697F77796E29255C7B717D7570327F73711C0 wrote: Wouldn’t it be a surprise if NH was contacted to interview for the vacant Boston GM position. Neal is originally from the New England area. If he was hired for that position, I would expect a new GM would want to hire a new Pirate manager, and some other front office positions would change.

Neal would never take that job. He’s committed to winning a WS for The Pirates....
I can't imagine what on NH's resume would inspire any other organization to hire him.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

153835242332256566570 wrote: Wouldn’t it be a surprise if NH was contacted to interview for the vacant Boston GM position. Neal is originally from the New England area. If he was hired for that position, I would expect a new GM would want to hire a new Pirate manager, and some other front office positions would change.

I can't imagine what on NH's resume would inspire any other organization to hire him.

Getting Reynolds for Cutch? Idk ... I don't see much at all.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6777764157575B340 wrote: Wouldn’t it be a surprise if NH was contacted to interview for the vacant Boston GM position. Neal is originally from the New England area. If he was hired for that position, I would expect a new GM would want to hire a new Pirate manager, and some other front office positions would change.

Getting Reynolds for Cutch?  Idk ... I don't see much at all.
I don't see much either. If that trade is the only thing on his resume then yeah, sure. But do you honestly believe that deal typifies NH's tenure? Should we now forget all about the Archer deal? The Cole deal? Giving away prospects to bribe Toronto into taking Liriano and getting nothing more than Drew Hutchison in exchange? Giving Dickerson to the Phillies? Drafting Newman #1 to play SS, then thinking he needed to trade Luplow for Gonzalez to play SS, then realizing he didn't need Gonzalez after all, waiving Nicasio to save $600,000, filling a 1B hole with Jaso, filling a rotation hole with Vogelsong, signing Chisenhall? IMHO, if NH interviewed for another GM job he would have a difficult time making the case that the Cutch deal is what typified his tenure with the Pirates.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

072A27363120377774450 wrote: Wouldn’t it be a surprise if NH was contacted to interview for the vacant Boston GM position. Neal is originally from the New England area. If he was hired for that position, I would expect a new GM would want to hire a new Pirate manager, and some other front office positions would change.

Getting Reynolds for Cutch?  Idk ... I don't see much at all.
I don't see much either. If that trade is the only thing on his resume then yeah, sure. But do you honestly believe that deal typifies NH's tenure? Should we now forget all about the Archer deal? The Cole deal? Giving away prospects to bribe Toronto into taking Liriano and getting nothing more than Drew Hutchison in exchange? Giving Dickerson to the Phillies? Drafting Newman #1 to play SS, then thinking he needed to trade Luplow for Gonzalez to play SS, then realizing he didn't need Gonzalez after all, waiving Nicasio to save $600,000, filling a 1B hole with Jaso, filling a rotation hole with Vogelsong, signing Chisenhall? IMHO, if NH interviewed for another GM job he would have a difficult time making the case that the Cutch deal is what typified his tenure with the Pirates.

The only argument I can see NH making in an interview is that my goal was to meet financial targets and I did it every year.

If your goal is to win championships, I can do that. I know how to meet goals.(maybe say something like I follow ownerships instructions).