Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Spring Training Thread

Post by SyrBucco »

755C5A5654390 wrote: I noticed a list today on another site which had groups of players holding infield practice. Cole Tucker was listed on group #2 which from seeing the names on that group it would appear players on that group may not make the Opening Day roster. I hope Tucker performs well in spring training, because I think he has the potential to be a very good player. Many games last season while in Pittsburgh  he hit down in the batting order, and I think he would be a good top of the order hitter.

The minor guys always seem to be the guys on the first field on the left as you go into Pirate city. That is where he was today.

I think Tucker and Hayes should "beat down the door" to the major leagues before they're promoted. If they don't show clearly superior stats in the minors, it's not logical to assume they will be above average players in MLB.

I'm hoping they do this by the trade deadline.
WildwoodDave

Spring Training Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

I will be interested to hear if there are any differences in how

the camp is run this year,compared to other years. (other than the pitching tarps)
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

6C52575F4C54545F7F5A4D5E3B0 wrote: I will be interested to hear if there are any differences in how

the camp is run this year,compared to other years. (other than the pitching tarps)

Hard one to answer Dave since they really have 4 days of spring training before they start playing games. I did see 2 different drills with the outfielders that I had not seen before but they were still throw and catch drills just another way of doing it. There is a guy I have written about that I have nicknamed Altoona that lives out there and does not go to the games for his opinion. It would have been nice to be able to see the pitchers to see if they were getting any instruction as they pitched.
Ecbucs

Spring Training Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

6C464D7D4A5C5C503F0 wrote: I noticed a list today on another site which had groups of players holding infield practice. Cole Tucker was listed on group #2 which from seeing the names on that group it would appear players on that group may not make the Opening Day roster. I hope Tucker performs well in spring training, because I think he has the potential to be a very good player. Many games last season while in Pittsburgh  he hit down in the batting order, and I think he would be a good top of the order hitter.

The minor guys always seem to be the guys on the first field on the left as you go into Pirate city. That is where he was today.

I think Tucker and Hayes should "beat down the door" to the major leagues before they're promoted. If they don't show clearly superior stats in the minors, it's not logical to assume they will be above average players in MLB.

I'm hoping they do this by the trade deadline.

I agree, Will Craig is in the same boat. He has to show some dominance with the bat.
mouse

Spring Training Thread

Post by mouse »

Things apparently are happening in Spring Training -- https://www.mlb.com/pirates/news/pirate ... ining-2020

And finally tomorrow - game one.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.
ChitownBucco

Spring Training Thread

Post by ChitownBucco »

no Manatee Community College game this year?
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

745D5B5755380 wrote: Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.
Yes baseball today. That is a sign that spring is coming. The Bucs are destined for last in the division this year, but the season will be interesting. Will Keller develop into a strong starting pitcher? When will Hayes arrive ? Will Reynolds and Newman continue to hit like they did in 2019? We shall see how this season unfolds.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

1F343528332B321E293F3F335C0 wrote: no Manatee Community College game this year?

No, they play the Twins, they have not played those types of games for a while now.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

646869323B323A37302F35020 wrote: Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.
Yes baseball today. That is a sign that spring is coming. The Bucs are destined for last in the division this year, but the season will be interesting. Will Keller develop into a strong starting pitcher? When will Hayes arrive ? Will Reynolds and Newman continue to hit like they did in 2019? We shall see how this season unfolds.

Yep , pretty much have the same feeling about the season