Now I think there's almost no way ......

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Owners keep proposing different amount of games, with a proportion of salary, but it appears from reading different articles it is always about the same amount of money the players will receive. I am beginning to wonder if Frank Coonelly has returned to work for MLB.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: The Owners keep proposing different amount of games, with a proportion of salary, but it appears from reading different articles it is always about the same amount of money the players will receive. [highlight]I am beginning to wonder if Frank Coonelly has returned to work for MLB.[/highlight]

HAHA! It was a great day for Pirates fans when that guy was finally gone from the organization.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5B706258706D7C767A597A777A150 wrote: Examining the financials of the Braves will tell you how much money these teams have rolling in. 

Let's just say that none of them are hurting.

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/public ... s-francesa

"The Braves are the only publicly traded team in Major League Baseball, Francesa explained, so their financial information is subject to public scrutiny in a way that privately owned teams are exempt from."

I believe that the Blue Jays are also publicly traded.
I trust Forbes' numbers on all of MLB, and in particular any franchise publicly traded. Forbes lists the Braves' operating income, which DOES NOT include debt service, of $92 million. To get the true cash flow position (the ability or lack thereof to meet all financial obligations) one must know what the yearly cash impact of the debt is.

Forbes lists the Braves' debt as 21% of their $1.8 billion value. That works out to $378 million total debt. While no one can know for sure how it is all amortized, my experience from being in business a long time would allow us to look at perhaps a conservative 5 years at 5% annual rate. Looking at a financial tool I have that works out to about an $85 million cash outlay per year just to meet this debt! That leaves $7 million in positive cash flow, which eats up 92% of all the profit!

My friends, the Braves ARE NOT rolling in dough!

I don't know how this compares to Forbes data but the Atlanta Journal Constitution posted this article on Braves finances in February

476 million in revenue and 340 million in operating expenses.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/new ... -2019.html

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I guess 136 million isn't enough dough to roll in these days. They need more.

Must be because of the taxes they have to pay on that pile of money.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

The players want to be a stakeholder in the process until they don't.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

These negotiations have dragged on too long. It is time that both owners and players negotiators get their heads out of you know where and get a deal done. They are ruining the interest of baseball for many of us with these negotiations. It is time to get in a room with a media blackout, and hammer out a 72 game season with additional playoff teams, and a season that ends around Halloween. Get it done ASAP !
2drfischer@gmail.c

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: These negotiations have dragged on too long. It is time that both owners and players negotiators get their heads out of you know where and get a deal done. They are ruining the interest of baseball for many of us with these negotiations. It is time to get in a room with a media blackout, and hammer out a 72 game season with additional playoff teams, and a season that ends around Halloween. Get it done ASAP !

Put them in a room, lock the door, give them lots and lots of pitchers of water, and don't allow them access to a bathroom. When they've got a deal, then they can come out.

Actually, what they should be required to do is follow the same procedure that players go through with the arbitration process: if a deal can't be reached, have both sides submit their best offer to an arbiter whereas he chooses the one he/she deems the best.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

267066727D67777C7166547379757D783A77140 wrote: These negotiations have dragged on too long. It is time that both owners and players negotiators get their heads out of you know where and get a deal done. They are ruining the interest of baseball for many of us with these negotiations. It is time to get in a room with a media blackout, and hammer out a 72 game season with additional playoff teams, and a season that ends around Halloween. Get it done ASAP !

Put them in a room, lock the door, give them lots and lots of pitchers of water, and don't allow them access to a bathroom.  When they've got a deal, then they can come out.

Actually, what they should be required to do is follow the same procedure that players go through with the arbitration process:  if a deal can't be reached, have both sides submit their best offer to an arbiter whereas he chooses the one he/she deems the best. 
I like both your ideas. Anything to get a deal done and begin ST 2.0
2drfischer@gmail.c

4D41401B121B131E19061C2B0 wrote: These negotiations have dragged on too long. It is time that both owners and players negotiators get their heads out of you know where and get a deal done. They are ruining the interest of baseball for many of us with these negotiations. It is time to get in a room with a media blackout, and hammer out a 72 game season with additional playoff teams, and a season that ends around Halloween. Get it done ASAP !

Put them in a room, lock the door, give them lots and lots of pitchers of water, and don't allow them access to a bathroom.  When they've got a deal, then they can come out.

Actually, what they should be required to do is follow the same procedure that players go through with the arbitration process:  if a deal can't be reached, have both sides submit their best offer to an arbiter whereas he chooses the one he/she deems the best. 
I like both your ideas. Anything to get a deal done and begin ST 2.0

MLB's arbitration procedure is one of the best ideas I've ever seen. It forces both sides to make fair proposals. I think that process should be used by other industries with regard to their contract negotiations, too. And I'd love to see that procedure used to set voting districts. It would end gerrymandering.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I don't care what they do. I won't pay any attention. It's just more smoke screen to get folks out there talking about one side or the other. It's simply for determining stance.

What's really wrong is ticket holders aren't even being discussed. We're completely ignored. They have basically told us games are postponed, you'll have to wait.

There is no plan with fans. The Pirates laughably sent out a survey about attending games this year if it were allowed, and get this...even mentioned JULY games!

Journalists continue to gloss over the subject, they have too much ass to kiss between the players and ownership, depending on which side they're on.

It's reprehensible what ownership is doing, hiding behind "rain check" type of language for these games. It's complete bad faith on their part.