Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Only two of them. You....and me.

SyrBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SyrBucco »

There are two obvious needs on our club: we need a CF, and we need a better second catcher than JR Murphy or, I will assume, Luke Maile.

While a FA catcher, looking at the list of available candidates, seems plausible, there are no CF's we have a chance of signing.

We MAY have one starting pitcher we can afford to trade in order to shore up our OF. I prefer Reynolds in LF, but moving Frazier to LF and keeping Reynolds in CF might get us by until one of the kids is ready. Tucker is most definitely NOT the answer. Oliva has a chance. Who knows about Swaggerty?

The Oneill Cruz DUI arrest casts a pall over our post-Polanco future in RF. Of course, I heard that Cruz was reluctant to move to the OF. Kinda makes me miss Jordan Luplow.

In conclusion, I'm going to spend my Hot Stove time conjuring up a trade for a new CF. I welcome anyone's pet theories in reply.
JollyRoger

Off Season Thread

Post by JollyRoger »

Agree with the posters that realize the cupboard is nearly bare and we do not have anything of value to trade

We are simply not going to contend in 2021 or 2022.

What has to happen in order for this franchise to regain respectability.

Start with Hayes. He obviously cannot replicate the performance he has shown in 2020. However if he can hit .300 with 20-25 HR’s then we have 3B locked up for the future. I am impressed with the way he approached hitting to the opposite field. His glove and arm are all star worthy.

I believe that Nick Gonzales will be another Jose Altuve (maybe without the speed) I look forward to seeing him rake in the big leagues.

We need a favorable decision in the Oneil Cruz case. Outside of Gonzales he is our only impact type offensive player in the minors.

In addition to Cruz, it is imperative that Priester, Malone, and to a degree Swaggerty develop into very solid ML players

Hopefully the Bucs draft Rocker and fast track him to the majors.

They also must draft a high end catcher in 2021 or 2022.

As far as current roster players:

Starting pitchers: I think Brault has turned the corner. I keep Brault, Keller in the starting rotation. I liked what I saw in JT Brubaker. Taillon is a crapshoot. Kuhl possibly a #5. I have seen enough of Williams and Musgrove. Rocker, Priester, Malone, and the South Carolina starter on the horizon.

Relievers: liked what I saw in Burdi and Cinderland. Nothing to get excited about with the rest

Catcher: huge organizational weak spot. Stallings is acceptable but we need an upgrade

Inf: Hayes at 3B, Newman at SS, as soon as Gonzales is ready he is our 2B. I would platoon Moran and believe it or not Polanco at first.

Bell eventually gets traded as we will not be able to afford him.

Keep Erik Gonzales and maybe Frazier or if Peguero is ready as back ups.

OF: I’m giving Reynolds the benefit of the doubt and believe he will rebound. We really have no choice. Not sold on Tucker in CF; therefore hoping that Swaggerty is ML ready. I have Cruz in RF. If he is convicted then we have a massive hole to fill.

Cherington has to hit on his draft picks ( I think he did a good job with the 2020 draft with the exception of not drafting a catcher)

He also MUST find some International studs like the Washington Nationals have done.

Of course if these young players turn into solid ML performers; Nutting would have to start paying ML salaries. But that is a topic for another day.
SCBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SCBucco »

5A707B4B7C6A6A66090 wrote: There are two obvious needs on our club: we need a CF, and we need a better second catcher than JR Murphy or, I will assume, Luke Maile.

While a FA catcher, looking at the list of available candidates, seems plausible, there are no CF's we have a chance of signing.

We MAY have one starting pitcher we can afford to trade in order to shore up our OF. I prefer Reynolds in LF, but moving Frazier to LF and keeping Reynolds in CF might get us by until one of the kids is ready. Tucker is most definitely NOT the answer. Oliva has a chance. Who knows about Swaggerty?

The Oneill Cruz DUI arrest casts a pall over our post-Polanco future in RF. Of course, I heard that Cruz was reluctant to move to the OF. Kinda makes me miss Jordan Luplow.

In conclusion, I'm going to spend my Hot Stove time conjuring up a trade for a new CF. I welcome anyone's pet theories in reply.

We definitely need one starting pitcher because we need someone to show the ropes to these guys. Second catchers are what they are ... really not a good piece.

We will have to go trade and there won't be many trades to be had out there to fill weaknesses we have since we have little talent on this roster.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

There sure is a lot of can kicking going on here.
BenM

Off Season Thread

Post by BenM »

302B26272E222D430 wrote: There sure is a lot of can kicking going on here.

What do you suggest? Are there any particular free agents you are looking at?
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Probably only me.

We failed to win even one out of every three games.

We have two obvious needs.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht.

Barry Bonds plus Cy Young wouldn't do the dirty deed.

Think. If we had only two obvious needs, we wouldn't be in this mess.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

60474C6F220 wrote: There sure is a lot of can kicking going on here.

_________

There are many many FA available that could help this team. After all, we are the worst team in all of baseball. But just to select a few:

C - Realmuto, McCann

1B - C.j.Cron

2B - Asdrubal Cabrera

SS - Didi Gregorious

OF - Ozuna, Springer,Puig

P - Bauer, Deslafani,Minor

I admit that we would have to spend a little money like other small market clubs like the Brewers and the Reds. But I guess that is why they make the playoffs and we go 19-41.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

726964656C606F010 wrote: There sure is a lot of can kicking going on here.

_________

C - Realmuto, McCann

1B - C.j.Cron

2B - Asdrubal Cabrera

SS - Didi Gregorious

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

6F747978717D721C0 wrote: There sure is a lot of can kicking going on here.

_________

There are many many FA available that could help this team.  After all, we are the worst team in all of baseball.  But just to select a few:

C - Realmuto, McCann

1B - C.j.Cron

2B - Asdrubal Cabrera

SS - Didi Gregorious

I admit that we would have to spend a little money like other small market clubs like the Brewers and the Reds.  But I guess that is why they make the playoffs and we go 19-41.

I wonder whether it's fair to compare ourselves with the Reds and Brewers these days. Whaddaya think?