GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

We used to be the Yankees farm team.

Now, we're the Astros & Rays.
fjk090852-7

The Playoffs Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am going to pull for Tampa to win the WS because they have a team with just good players without any superstars. They have good pitching which is important for a winning team.
maher.timothy20@gm

The Playoffs Thread

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

676B6A3138313934332C36010 wrote: I am going to pull for Tampa to win the WS because they have a team with just good players without any superstars. They have good pitching which is important for a winning team.

I'm also rooting for the Rays but my fear is that this will be used as justification for not needing a salary cap/floor.

And if THAT in fact happens the damage from the Archer trade will be a hell of a lot more massive than just unnecessarily dumping some good players.
ArnoldRothstein

The Playoffs Thread

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

05232431383423353D560 wrote:

Without fanfare Charlie Morton has legit claim as the greatest big game pitcher of all time.

Bill James did a study in 2014 to identify "big game pitchers" in the postwar era - postseason, or late season games against contenders.  His list had ten guys who someone would argue for the Hall of Fame: Mussina, Ford, Guidry, Pettitte, Santana, Smoltz, Sutton, Johnson, Gibson, and Oswalt. 

The eleventh was Bruce Kison, 5-1 1.98 in postseason, 31-12 3.37 in September/October.
Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

That's a pretty cool list. Morton's record is for pitching in winner takes all games.

What's just as interesting as his success, is how he has continually found himself in those situations. There's no design to it, it's not like he was the guy managers used to try and line up as games 1-4-7 starter.

One thing of note, part of his record comes not as a starter, but as the credited winner in a long stint of relief in his game 7 Astros victory.

I was reading his history with the Pirates, and totally forgot how much time he actually missed here, and that continued with the Phillies. There isn't as much "what if" with Charlie Morton as there is with Glasnow.
mouse

The Playoffs Thread

Post by mouse »

The interesting thing I've noted is that five innings seems to be the new standard for a quality start.
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

767A737E69356F7276746F7362292B5B7C761B0 wrote: I am going to pull for Tampa to win the WS because they have a team with just good players without any superstars. They have good pitching which is important for a winning team.

I'm also rooting for the Rays but my fear is that this will be used as justification for not needing a salary cap/floor.

And if THAT in fact happens the damage from the Archer trade will be a hell of a lot more massive than just unnecessarily dumping some good players.

I like to see stars shine, and the Dodgers have certainly paid their dues. I don't have a dog in the fight, but if I was to pick my favorite, it would be the Dodgers.

I agree with your point about the Rays. Even if they win it all, though, this is a fluke year with more teams entering post-season play than ever, with fewer games played. All of that set aside, it still won't take away the overwhelming history that payroll is an absolute advantage.

As damaging as The Archer Trade will be for some time, I still suggest not overlooking the long reach that The McCutchen Dump will have on the franchise. Losing two guys for a decade is one thing. Losing several guys for a lot longer could be even tougher to overcome.

I think that will make the challenge of convincing players to sign longer-term deals that much more difficult until they feel more comfortable with BOB's willingness to ante up. I wouldn't want to be the first guy who takes that chance, but that's just me.

Of course, the outcome of the WS doesn't play into this. It exists regardless of who wins it.
fjk090852-7

The Playoffs Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6C606964732F75686C6E756978333141666C010 wrote: I am going to pull for Tampa to win the WS because they have a team with just good players without any superstars. They have good pitching which is important for a winning team.

That is a concern, but I think a slow free agent market which could happen this offseason due to Covid-19 will make the players union think about adopting some type of floor in order for teams to spend a certain amount in payroll each year.
ChitownBucco

The Playoffs Thread

Post by ChitownBucco »

665344444F7644444F4844210 wrote: We used to be the Yankees farm team.

Now, we're the Astros & Rays.

in between there we managed to fleece the yanks a few times to at least propel us to some post season baseball
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

This is true. I think there's been a history between the two clubs over the many years.