Rocker vs Leiter as it now stands.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

5057465546171A230 wrote: May 7th start was Rocker is insane .

Good news is he struck out 13 in his 5 innings .

Bad News  6 hits , 5 BB's and 6ER.

Not great from an overall control and efficiency.

However as I have stated before, this guy is a horse

He is built to carry a large workload and survive the long baseball season. He is being compared to Roger Clemens.

If you have the chance to get the next Riger Clemens you do so.

No brainer

Leiter was looking a lot like Greg Maddox

However he looked tired in his last 2 starts and got rocked

I think this may be do to not throwing a lot of innings

We will see as the season winds down.

I’m not in favor of drafting a HS SS

We do need a catcher. I don’t know anything about Davis

Bottom line is you don’t pass up an opportunity to get a #1 starting pitcher
steve49

Post by steve49 »

7B5E5D5D48635E565443310 wrote: May 7th start was Rocker is insane .

He is built to carry a large workload and survive the long baseball season. He is being compared to Roger Clemens.

No brainer

I see Leiter did not start today's game. Let's see if he goes tomorow
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5651405340111C250 wrote: May 7th start was Rocker is insane .

No brainer

Read some notes following that game today, and it said neither Vandy or Alabama have named a starter for tomorrow’s game. I wonder if Leiter is having some problems?
steve49

Post by steve49 »

4945441F161F171A1D02182F0 wrote: May 7th start was Rocker is insane .

No brainer

Read some notes following that game today, and it said neither Vandy or Alabama have named a starter for tomorrow’s game. I wonder if Leiter is having some problems?

I just found this. No injury , just a "work load" decision.

https://calltothepen.com/2021/05/08/muc ... ck-leiter/

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

63647566752429100 wrote:

Whoever they pick they must get them up quick.  This crap of keeping a number 1 in the minors for 4 years is ridiculous.  If their that far away then we should never have choose them.  Whoever they sign the prospect should negotiate that in their contract.

The only problem with getting them up fast is that the Pirates only have them for maybe four full seasons.  They cannot waste a year or two of that control having them develop at the ML level. They need them as close to “hitting the ground running” as they can get to maximize their ROI.

That said, we haven’t really seen that work out. But I blame that more on the old development system which left a big gap between high minors development and ML-ready.

I was going to post the same. Bottom line is if we have a player that is way above average , he isn't staying. So there is no problem drafting a high school player and you may as well develop that player to the hilt before bringing him up.

Like I said, he should negotiate that in his contract. If he's good enough to be a number one draft pick he should be ready in no more than 2 years. Not sure why you guys can't see leaving players in minors to develop bad habits and throwing their arms off is a recipe for disaster and we've seen it play out year after year with the Pirates. Cole came up as fast as anyone I've seen and he seems to have developed well.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

746C6E69697E6F68757462070 wrote:

Whoever they pick they must get them up quick.  This crap of keeping a number 1 in the minors for 4 years is ridiculous.  If their that far away then we should never have choose them.  Whoever they sign the prospect should negotiate that in their contract.

The only problem with getting them up fast is that the Pirates only have them for maybe four full seasons.  They cannot waste a year or two of that control having them develop at the ML level. They need them as close to “hitting the ground running” as they can get to maximize their ROI.

That said, we haven’t really seen that work out. But I blame that more on the old development system which left a big gap between high minors development and ML-ready.

I was going to post the same. Bottom line is if we have a player that is way above average , he isn't staying. So there is no problem drafting a high school player and you may as well develop that player to the hilt before bringing him up.

Like I said, he should negotiate that in his contract.  If he's good enough to be a number one draft pick he should be ready in no more than 2 years.  Not sure why you guys can't see leaving players in minors to develop bad habits and throwing their arms off is a recipe for disaster and we've seen it play out year after year with the Pirates.  Cole came up as fast as anyone I've seen and he seems to have developed well.

I can't see how a player could ever negotiate that in a contract. They could possible file a grievance but how in the world would you set the parameters for an automatic call-up in a specified time period.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I remember (Boras, I think) demanding that someone he represented be placed on the 40-man right away, and that was to be built into his contract. That might be as close as you can get.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

797B616771140 wrote: I remember (Boras, I think) demanding that someone he represented be placed on the 40-man right away, and that was to be built into his contract. That might be as close as you can get.

Pretty sure that was Pedro. And that did not help him, in any way.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

ESPN latest mock draft has the Pirates selecting Jordan Lawler. We are about two months out of the draft, and it seems many experts are saying the Bucs are going to take the high school shortstop from Texas.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

757978232A232B26213E24130 wrote: ESPN latest mock draft has the Pirates selecting Jordan Lawler. We are about two months out of the draft, and it seems many experts are saying the Bucs are going to take the high school shortstop from Texas.

it will be like Mel Kiper and NFL draft, the analysts will pick 4 or 5 players that the Pirates "will" select at number one. That way they can say they were correct after the draft.