Official Game Thread 7/17/2021 Mets vs. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Watching the replay of Stallings HR, how in the world did he get the barrel of the bat on that pitch? It was cutting in on his hands and ended well off the plate. Amazing that he was able to even hit the ball to the outfield let alone into the seats.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

01333F3F2B193A333E3B3433520 wrote: don't tell anyone but i almost gave up hope for this game.
Well Sammy, I have to admit I did after the 7th. Got up at 2AM to take a leak. Looked up the game on my phone and said HOLY

SH$t!!. Hope all those Met fans enjoyed it!!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

797E68606E793E324B6C666A6267256864660B0 wrote: Little glimmers of becoming a good team down the road.  .

I’ve said it most of this season, this is a fun team to watch.  But maybe it’s also the beginning of something good. 
I was thinking the same thing. The Pirates have punted on the season while focusing on the minors but they still need to maintain fan interest. They want to be improved in 2022 and competitive by 2023 so why not try building up fan interest in the 2nd half of 2021? Work on winning games instead of resting players. Stop subjecting the fans to Polanco and Tom and Gonzalez and Crick and Holmes and Crowe and Oliva and De Jong. Bring back Castro instead of demoting him for hitting 3 HRs. Don't have Perez catch 3 games in a 4 game series.

Maybe even hang onto Rodriguez Frazier and Anderson instead of--gulp--accepting that they must be moved at the TDL. Pirates management has essentially been giving the finger to its fans all season. Why not build on this great win and the 7-3 streak they are on and try to give the fans some excitement that could carry over to next year? But...I suspect Shelton will decide today that they've already won the series so it's time to rest players and let the Mets win one.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

MLB package is free this week from Comcast. At 6-0 I started switching channels. Was glad I switched back. I'm guessing that will be one of top 5 games for them this season.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

5D777C4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!
Just finished watching the game. Sweet! Those who have posted here as long as I have may have been reminded of Only Bucs night at PNC on 7/28/2001 - more than 20 years ago, when we saw Brian Giles win it with a walkoff! Chime in, fellow old timers!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Opening paragraph of Mets blog on the game:

If you saw the news of Francisco Lindor’s injury and Jacob deGrom’s lingering soreness and thought to yourself “how could this day possibly get worse?”, I have news for you! Despite leading the no good, very bad Pittsburgh Pirates 6-0 going into the bottom of the eighth inning, the Mets somehow managed to lose Saturday night’s game 9-7 at the conclusion of the ninth.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

032922122533333F500 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!
Just finished watching the game. Sweet! Those who have posted here as long as I have may have been reminded of Only Bucs night at PNC on 7/28/2001 - more than 20 years ago, when we saw Brian Giles win it with a walkoff! Chime in, fellow old timers!

Oh yeah, SyrBucco, I remember it well. Not just the game but the pregame party at a club just down the street from from the stadium that was hosted by a Buccos reporter from Wheeling who helped publish a weekly periodical about the Pirates that was published by Nutting newspapers. His first name was Steve but I can't remember his last name. He and my wife got together with him in that bar for a quick drink and some food before a few games during the next several seasons. I remember when had enough OBN members at the game that we got our name shown on the scoreboard. We made a lot of friendships that night. I especially remember Jimbo, a guy who could hit a golf ball a country mile but never a straight country mile. We often kidded him that what he needed was a ball bat with a driver head on it so he could take his usual baseball swing. ;D I think that you, wvbucco, and I are the only ones left from those days of OBN. Gunner is still around somewhere but his health like mine is not so great. Please tell that lovely bride of yours Possum & Mrs. Possum said hello.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Dang I missed it all . I stopped watching after Davis made it 4-0.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Walk off grand slams are the best. I had last night’s game recorded, didn’t know the result, started watching around 11:30 (with a lot of fast forwarding), and stuck it out.

I still remember being at PNC with my cousin for an afternoon game against the Astros where Giles capped off a big comeback with a walk off GS. It was incredible.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

19383019323A5D0 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!

Oh yeah, SyrBucco, I remember it well.  Not just the game but the pregame party at a club just down the street from from the stadium that was hosted by a Buccos reporter from Wheeling who helped publish a weekly periodical about the Pirates that was published by Nutting newspapers.  His first name was Steve but I can't remember his last name.  He and my wife got together with him in that bar for a quick drink and some food before a few games during the next several seasons.  I remember when had enough OBN members at the game that we got our name shown on the scoreboard.  We made a lot of friendships that night.  I especially remember Jimbo, a guy who could hit a golf ball a country mile but never a straight country mile.  We often kidded him that what he needed was a ball bat with a driver head on it so he could take his usual baseball swing.  ;D  I think that you, wvbucco, and I are the only ones left from those days of OBN.  Gunner is still around somewhere but his health like mine is not so great.  Please tell that lovely bride of yours Possum & Mrs. Possum said hello.

I was around in those days but never made it to a game night. I did meet Possom before my first game at PNC, just briefly though. Pretty sure it was game against the Phillies and Jason Kendall picked a runner off second in the 9th. Bucs won by a run. I don't remember the exact year but probably second or third of PNC. have only been back one other time in 2017.