Re: Official Game Thread - 8/1 - Phillies vs. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

012C21303726317172430 wrote: I continue to wonder why there were ever high expectations for Keller. He isn't overpowering. Doesn't have a lot of movement on his pitches. And his command is poor. Even though walks were not their usual problem for him today, he was not locating his strikes where he wanted. Perez was often putting the glove low and Keller was throwing hittable strikes higher in the strike zone. Sometimes a good pitcher can have a bad game but you can still see why people think he has good stuff. But I watch Keller routinely fail with his lack of impressive pitches and think, 'well yeah, what would you expect?' He looks like someone who is just barely good enough to get called up for an occasional emergency start.
Earlier in the game when the phils scored their first two runs, his breaking ball didn't sink and was clobbered. He has done that much too often this season
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

01425B405346574101320 wrote: The FO admirers have been hyping Keller for awhile and insisted he was "ready" this time.  They had to have someone prove that their development system wasn't just a bunch of guys living out their military/biker gang fetishes using young men under their employ.
Other than the part about the "FO admirers" I agree. After never getting the best that Cole, Morton or Glasnow had, and having Kingham wash out, we were told Keller was another top of the rotation guy. The Pirate announcers always gushed about how good he was going to be. I guess the local media bought into it too, at least for awhile. But other than his last 2 games of 2020 when he totaled 11 no-hit innings but walked 10, he has given the fans little reason for optimism. And I doubt he would have had those no-hit innings if he had been throwing strikes.

His start today comes after a lackluster stint back in AAA and his last 2 starts there were very poor. If Anderson's trade had not opened up a spot in the rotation for someone in AAA already on the 40 man roster, Keller would probably not have been recalled. He didn't earn this recall. It was just a matter of need. And once again he pitched like he doesn't belong in MLB.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Olviedo now has 18 walks in 19.2 innings.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

715750454C40574149220 wrote: Reynolds with a really nice catch leaping at the wall!  Gets a tip of the cap from Segura
Earlier in the season a member of the board ( not sure who it was) said that Reynolds was not a Center Fielder. Reynolds has done nothing this season to justify that comment.
I felt he's a much better left fielder, and the nice catch aside, he does pretty bad going back on balls going off the wall, and has played some doubles into triples.  He took a lot of bad routes in places outside of PNC Park. I know if I say a guy "isn't a CF" I saying it to mean he can play the position adequately, but he's not someone to be confused with the top players, guys who are naturals.

This series he has been stellar. IDK what his metrics look like. I just go by the eye test if you will. I will say one thing is that he doesn't exactly have anyone on either side of him that's plays their position very well, except when Oliva was in right. So maybe he's been trying to do too much.
I agree he is a much better LF but overall he has been adequate in CF. In the first game of this series for example he made two really good catches
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Mitch Keller, Cody Ponce, Luis Oviedo.....this game was over before it began. Oviedo had an ERA of 9.61 coming into the game.

10-2
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1A3C3B2E272B3C2A22490 wrote: Mitch Keller, Cody Ponce, Luis Oviedo.....this game was over before it began. Oviedo had an ERA of 9.61 coming into the game.

10-2
Well, the bucs still took the series
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Phillies top 4 of the order today (so far):

10-17 7 RBI 6 R 3BB 7 2B 1 SB 5RBI with 2 outs
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Olviedo now has 19 walks in 19.2 innings. I expect rule 5 pitchers to get hit around. But shouldn't they at least be able to throw a baseball over the plate? :o
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4 walks and one hit without recording an out for Oviedo.

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: Olviedo now has 19 walks in 19.2 innings. I expect rule 5 pitchers to get hit around. But shouldn't they at least be able to throw a baseball over the plate?  :o
Yeah, if they think he has something, he needs to work it out somewhere else. IDK the Rule 5 procedures, but offer him back, cut him, if they think they can get him through everything then let him work it out at Indy