Official Game Thread - 8/7 - Bucs @ Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Post by shedman »

132631313A0331313A3D31540 wrote: All of them.  :)

That was Anderson.  If Anderson's "mediocre," what we kept is

So what is your point?

Do you have a problem with me calling Anderson mediocre? Here are his career stats. If you have a better word for it, please enlighten us.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ty01.shtml

He signed as a FA with arguably the worst team in MLB in mid February late in the free agency season. Not exactly a hot commodity. But it worked out for both. He at least found a team that would give him steady work despite his limitations and the Pirates had a rotation that was so awful that he was their most consistent starter. And getting steady work put him on the radar of other teams who had declined to show interest when he was a free agent over the winter. He was on a 1 year contract and was likely to find a better team than the Pirates in 2022. So instead of keeping him for 2 more months in a meaningless season, BC flipped him for a couple of modest prospects. If he hadn't, it would just give you something else to complain about when Anderson walked as a FA and BC hadn't gotten anything for him.

The Pirates have a lot of players who suck. Players not even as good as Anderson. A lot of them will be gone next year. And most of them aren't even worth 2 modest prospects. So they're still here for the time being. Evans and Gonzalez were purged yesterday. So again, what is your point? 

I consider him average. 

If he's medicore/average/anything else someone wants to describe him, the guys we have left are something less than that.  "Suck" could be one of those words, but I'd rather not use it.
________

It is better to "Suck". Then Cherington Apologists can blubber on about how he has improved the overall talent in the organization and the farm system. Every GM is baseball can say that he has improved the overall talent in their organization and has improved their farm system. Then kick the can down the road to a future thats never arrives in Pittsburgh. One sportswriter has already kicked the can down the road to 2027.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: All of them.  :)

That was Anderson.  If Anderson's "mediocre," what we kept is

So what is your point?

Do you have a problem with me calling Anderson mediocre? Here are his career stats. If you have a better word for it, please enlighten us.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ty01.shtml

He signed as a FA with arguably the worst team in MLB in mid February late in the free agency season. Not exactly a hot commodity. But it worked out for both. He at least found a team that would give him steady work despite his limitations and the Pirates had a rotation that was so awful that he was their most consistent starter. And getting steady work put him on the radar of other teams who had declined to show interest when he was a free agent over the winter. He was on a 1 year contract and was likely to find a better team than the Pirates in 2022. So instead of keeping him for 2 more months in a meaningless season, BC flipped him for a couple of modest prospects. If he hadn't, it would just give you something else to complain about when Anderson walked as a FA and BC hadn't gotten anything for him.

The Pirates have a lot of players who suck. Players not even as good as Anderson. A lot of them will be gone next year. And most of them aren't even worth 2 modest prospects. So they're still here for the time being. Evans and Gonzalez were purged yesterday. So again, what is your point? 

I consider him average. 

If he's medicore/average/anything else someone wants to describe him, the guys we have left are something less than that.  "Suck" could be one of those words, but I'd rather not use it.
Too late!

5C697E7E754C7E7E75727E1B0 wrote: Ster, we need a ruling!

What's better- to be "mediocre", or to "suck"?

Might help to understand BC's trading strategy.

Should we keep our mediocre guys or the ones who suck? 

I took that "suck" from a post up above.

At any rate, this is just plain dismal to me. We were pretty bad before. It's got to be hard in that locker room to keep getting beat like red-headed stepsons game after game.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1D3B3C29202C3B2D254E0 wrote: The Pirates are now 3-6 in the last 60. Will they be better, worse, or the same as 19-41?
=============

3-6 in the last 60?

I'll bite: I'm not into calculus or high level math, so someone needs to 'splain that to me. Where I went to school, 3 and 6 equals 9. How does 3 and 6 equal 60?

Our man, WWD, has told me more than once that we shouldn't even go by the 2020 season.

Regardless, when you're 10.5 games worse than your nearest competitor in the division, not much else matters.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Not a whole lot of difference between the two, is there?

I'll opt that they will be slightly worse than the 19-41 pace, thus putting them in contention for one of the first two picks next year.

That should help cement the progression to contention for 6-8 years, assuming 3 years of minor league seasoning for the draftees from 20,21, and 22.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

517770656C60776169020 wrote: The Pirates are now 3-6 in the last 60. Will they be better, worse, or the same as 19-41?

I think they'll be just a bit worse, winning between 16-18.