Official Pirates Game Thread - 8/27 - Bucs vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The guy's batting (not "hitting") .173 with an OBP of .259- and both are good for his career.

We know it.

The coach knows it.

The manager knows it.

The entire world less one knows it.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1A2F3838330A38383334385D0 wrote: The guy's batting (not "hitting") .173 with an OBP of .259- and both are good for his career. 

We know it.

The coach knows it.

The manager knows it.

If you honestly think sending Moran was a better chance of scoring than even Alford coming through, please move to the front of the line to receive your pointy cap. Not only does holding Moran give someone a chance to drive him in, there is also a chance he scores on a balk.....a wild pitch....a passed ball.....a fielding error..a throw into CF if Newman steals second. But, no, you just had to come in and stick up for Shed again. I think you two were the inspiration for that movie Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels starred in

Likely? No, but then Michael Brantley, who leads MLB in batting average, only has just a slightly better than 3 in 10 chance to drive Moran in also.

But hey, go ahead and discount the possibility of Alford coming through, or any of those other scenarios. And guess what genius? If Alford manages a walk, as that pitcher was wild (you wouldn't know that because you don't watch the games, you just parrot Shed and that's that) and works a walk, Reynolds now comes to the plate.

Yeah, send Moran with the only chance being Molina drops the ball. Bader didn't even have to put any extra zip on the ball, it was pretty much playing catch. But, you didn't see the play. I mean, seriously, Moran wasn't even in the picture when Molina took the ball way up the line, and stood there waiting.

Please take a vacation from posting. Seriously, the smell of your weirdness is affecting my hearing.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Here is how Jason Mackey described the Moran play in the Post-Gazette.

The decision to send Moran might be criticized, but it really shouldn’t be. Given their record and inability to consistently score runs, what’s wrong with taking a chance there? So what if Moran isn’t fast. The way this season has gone, who knows when their next chance to score might come. Could be days.

“Two outs, you’re going to make them make a throw,” Shelton said. “If that ball hits the mound and kicks away or he makes a bad throw, you’re like, ‘With two outs, why didn’t you send him?’ It’s easy to second-guess that, but I thought that was the right send.”

So manager extraordinaire Shelton liked it. He was hoping for a bad throw. A very bad throw. a very, very bad throw. He was hoping an MLB outfielder in shallow CF would throw the ball into the mound. OTOH I suppose Shelton wouldn't call Cora an idiot even if he thought he was. And he wouldn't say he has no faith in Alford even if he doesn't. But there are only 2 possibilities. Either Cora is an idiot (and this was one of countless bad decisions he's made) or they have no faith in Alford (and why should they?).
shedman

Post by shedman »

261304040F3604040F0804610 wrote: The guy's batting (not "hitting") .173 with an OBP of .259- and both are good for his career. 

We know it.

The coach knows it.

The manager knows it.

_________

Surg's hingsight vision is 20-20. If the throw was off and Moran had scored, he would have said that he agreed with the decision to send Moran.
iwatch

Post by iwatch »

This is the beauty of baseball; both are right. It’s right to take the chance due the the weakness of our lineup. It’s also right to to hold him as the play at home is pretty easy to complete. And, a third option is right- pinch run for Moran. Shelton or Cora has to choose one. And we can second guess the decision if the choice fails, thinking we’re right (we are) and they’re wrong ( not really).

That’s my first post in at least a year.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1C3A3D28212D3A2C244F0 wrote: The guy's batting (not "hitting") .173 with an OBP of .259- and both are good for his career. 

We know it.

The coach knows it.

The manager knows it.

If you honestly think sending Moran was a better chance of scoring than even Alford coming through, please move to the front of the line to receive your pointy cap. Not only does holding Moran give someone a chance to drive him in, there is also a chance he scores on a balk.....a wild pitch....a passed ball.....a fielding error..a throw into CF if Newman steals second. But, no, you just had to come in and stick up for Shed again.  I think you two were the inspiration for that movie Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels starred in

Likely? No, but then Michael Brantley, who leads MLB in batting average, only has just a slightly better than 3 in 10 chance to drive Moran in also.

But hey, go ahead and discount the possibility of Alford coming through, or any of those other scenarios. And guess what genius? If Alford manages a walk, as that pitcher was wild (you wouldn't know that because you don't watch the games, you just parrot Shed and that's that) and works a walk, Reynolds now comes to the plate.

Yeah, send Moran with the only chance being Molina drops the ball. Bader didn't even have to put any extra zip on the ball, it was pretty much playing catch. But, you didn't see the play. I mean, seriously, Moran wasn't even in the picture when Molina took the ball way up the line, and stood there waiting.

Please take a vacation from posting. Seriously, the smell of your weirdness is affecting my hearing.

Shelton is just too used to watching Polanco throw and thinks that players on other teams are going to throw that way too.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

They always do that with 2 outs.  I'm not sure it's the best strategy with the slowpoke like Moran either. I mean if you just assume Alford's going to fail, why are you playing them in the first place?
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

“The smell of your weirdness is affecting my hearing”

I’ve never heard that one before.

What the hell does that mean????