WS - Braves vs Astros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree, EC.  I'm all for things that bring MLB into the 22nd century.

There are going to be only so many camera angles.  So, that leaves the amout of time that it takes to reach a decision.  Even then, isn't there supposed to be a time limit already?  If not, there should be.

If yes, it should be strictly enforced.  That might be the problem- not adhering to existing rules.

If, after so many minutes, the replay officials cannot see a concrete reason to overturn the umpire's first call, then the orignial call should stand.  Stick with the clock.  No one in baseball does.  They need to have a Broadway show.

All of this written, does it belong in a WS thread?
Surgnbuck

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Surgnbuck »

With Soler and Pederson, the Braves effectively won the championship in the same way as a NASCAR team winning the Daytona 500 going to the local pick-a-part junkyard to fix their race car.
GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

I wish I could find 25/30 homers a year somewhere in my junkyard.
Surgnbuck

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Surgnbuck »

1C293E3E350C3E3E35323E5B0 wrote: I wish I could find 25/30 homers a year somewhere in my junkyard.
Wow, you're awful crotchety this morning, stomping on people's posts.

Soler was completely floundering with his .658 OPS when Atlanta picked him up. Ends up being WS MVP.

Yeah, despite your sarcasm, that was a pick-a-part item.

And to answer your other question, no every player getting their option declined isn't going to create a thread, and just because McCutchen is "departed" it's a conversation in whole, not just a byline.

Take some geritol and snort a little coke. Cheer the hell up.
GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

It was meant with humor.  Sensitive much?

One man's junk is another man's halfway decent stuff. 

I must not be as uppity as you.  :))))

So, McCutchen's part of the Braves/Stros' WS now?
Surgnbuck

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by Surgnbuck »

7F4A5D5D566F5D5D56515D380 wrote: It was meant with humor.  Sensitive much?

One man's junk is another man's halfway decent stuff. 

I must not be as uppity as you.  :))))

So, McCutchen's part of the Braves/Stros' WS now? 
I'm old and have to conserve energy. So I b*tch at you about 2 posts in 1.

Kind of like how the Pirates trade players for prospects. Who knows about rest and conserving energy more than the Pirates?

Maybe it's an unexplored benefit of being a STH.
GreenWeenie

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by GreenWeenie »

You didn't gripe about Shelton or the announcers, so you get a pass. One. For the day. Maybe for the entire OS!
WildwoodDave2

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

683E283C332939323F281A3D373B333674395A0 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 
Congratulations to The Braves ! Last night is the last time we will see the DH

I'm happier that the Astros lost than that the Braves won, but they deserve a lot of credit, from the GM on down, for not giving up on the season when Acuna went down.

I'd be delighted if that was the last time the game will be played with a DH. 

I guess I have to rephrase that. The last time pitchers will be batting. That I know, will not make you happy

No, it won't.  Anything that changes the game as drastically as the DH, the replay system, Interleague play, runners placed at 2nd base to start innings, and seven inning games, I'm against.
I agree except that I'm totally for replay. The umps are bad enough that there has to be a system to reverse their mistakes. I hate when the broadcasters give the obligatory "the umps are right 90% of the time." They probably are. But most calls are obvious. I think that on the very close plays they are closer to 50% correct.   

I can understand your argument for the replay system but it takes far too long to review plays, even the obvious ones.  Also, there are  way too many challenges.  There’s no consistency in how the cameras are arranged in the various parks.  And worst of all, they still get plays wrong even with multiple cameras filming the play.

There has to be a better way to manage this mess.  Restrictions have to be put in place as to what can be reviewed.  Tag plays and force outs should stand as the umpire calls them.  I would like to see two umpires on the warning track to determine if a ball is a HR or not, and I wouldn’t allow a challenge or review.

I do, however, think that balls and strikes now need to be determined using technology.  I think pitches are thrown too hard and with too much movement for umpires, with their older eyes, to follow them with the precision that’s needed.

I miss all those Manager - Umpire altercations
2drfischer@gmail.c

WS - Braves vs Astros

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

57696C64776F6F644461766532000 wrote: Oh well, I guess it wasn't Carlos Correa's time after all. 
Congratulations to The Braves ! Last night is the last time we will see the DH

I'm happier that the Astros lost than that the Braves won, but they deserve a lot of credit, from the GM on down, for not giving up on the season when Acuna went down.

I'd be delighted if that was the last time the game will be played with a DH. 

I guess I have to rephrase that. The last time pitchers will be batting. That I know, will not make you happy

No, it won't.  Anything that changes the game as drastically as the DH, the replay system, Interleague play, runners placed at 2nd base to start innings, and seven inning games, I'm against.
I agree except that I'm totally for replay. The umps are bad enough that there has to be a system to reverse their mistakes. I hate when the broadcasters give the obligatory "the umps are right 90% of the time." They probably are. But most calls are obvious. I think that on the very close plays they are closer to 50% correct.   

I can understand your argument for the replay system but it takes far too long to review plays, even the obvious ones.  Also, there are  way too many challenges.  There’s no consistency in how the cameras are arranged in the various parks.  And worst of all, they still get plays wrong even with multiple cameras filming the play.

There has to be a better way to manage this mess.  Restrictions have to be put in place as to what can be reviewed.  Tag plays and force outs should stand as the umpire calls them.  I would like to see two umpires on the warning track to determine if a ball is a HR or not, and I wouldn’t allow a challenge or review.

I do, however, think that balls and strikes now need to be determined using technology.  I think pitches are thrown too hard and with too much movement for umpires, with their older eyes, to follow them with the precision that’s needed.

I miss all those Manager - Umpire altercations

I do, too. They made baseball unique among the major sports in that it was accepted and expected that players, coaches, and managers could argue during the game. Umpires minds were never changed (we all knew they wouldn’t be), but that didn’t seem to matter. Best of all, some of those arguments were fairly entertaining.