Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Possum »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:59 pm With Johnson probably a year away, and Triolo, I can see either
Gonzales or Peguero being involved in a trade for a Starting Pitcher
Gonzales or Peguero not both.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:59 pm With Johnson probably a year away, and Triolo, I can see either
Gonzales or Peguero being involved in a trade for a Starting Pitcher
Teams don't give up effective starting pitchers easily. So far Gonzales is a disappointment and Peguero looks like a serviceable infielder. A trade partner might want one of them included in a deal but certainly not as the main return for a SP. A couple years ago, Gonzales and Peguero were seen as high upside prospects. But neither has made much of their limited opportunities and other GMs will want to see them show signs of being worth a SP before making a trade. And that can't happen in time to get the Bucs a SP to open the season.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:40 am
With these rumors about the Pirates having an interest in Gary Sanchez, I hope the Pirates are not considering trading Henry Davis for a pitcher. I could see them trading Delay as a second or third piece in a trade for a starting pitcher.
No worries about Sanchez coming here.He has signed with the Brewers. The Pirates Brass must be taking vacation prior to heading to Bradenton. No news regarding player acquisitions.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:55 pm
With these rumors about the Pirates having an interest in Gary Sanchez, I hope the Pirates are not considering trading Henry Davis for a pitcher. I could see them trading Delay as a second or third piece in a trade for a starting pitcher.
No worries about Sanchez coming here.He has signed with the Brewers. The Pirates Brass must be taking vacation prior to heading to Bradenton. No news regarding player acquisitions.
I didn't want Sanchez. They need to find out about Davis. Sanchez is a good catcher and has power, but I had enough of anemic batting averages with Hedges. Sanchez has hit .200 since 2020.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:07 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:55 pm

I didn't want Sanchez. They need to find out about Davis. Sanchez is a good catcher and has power, but I had enough of anemic batting averages with Hedges. Sanchez has hit .200 since 2020.

Brewers sign Sanchez for 7 million. I feel better about the Pirates chances of passing the Brewers.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I hope Cherington didn't have any banana peels on him when he climbed out of the dumpster. :D
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Trevor Bauer has stated that he is willing to play for the league minimum. He would like incentive clauses if teams were willing to add those.
If ever there was a cheap high reward pitcher the Pirates should sign immediately it is Bauer. The guy was screwed by MLB and was never found guilty. If he turns into a clubhouse cancer then they can drop him without a big hit to the payroll. I would bet that he would be extremely careful not to cause any issues.
This is a win win.
If Bauer pitches well the fans will come around
Doc

Post by Doc »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:42 pm Trevor Bauer has stated that he is willing to play for the league minimum. He would like incentive clauses if teams were willing to add those.
If ever there was a cheap high reward pitcher the Pirates should sign immediately it is Bauer. The guy was screwed by MLB and was never found guilty. If he turns into a clubhouse cancer then they can drop him without a big hit to the payroll. I would bet that he would be extremely careful not to cause any issues.
This is a win win.
If Bauer pitches well the fans will come around
I would love to have his physical talent, if only it came attached to a different head. You’re right, he wasn’t found to be guilty but the incident made him seem like a monster. I’m not sure the fans would tolerate him on the team. If BC did sign him, and Bauer said all the right things (I strain to wonder what those would be), he might get a lukewarm reception from the fans, which is about the best he could hope for. If he keeps a low profile, behaves himself, and wins games, he just might win over the fans and get what he probably really wants: a trade to a contender.

Maybe BC has gone to Nutting to discuss signing Bauer but Nutting, because he fears the fans’ reaction or because he himself doesn’t want to employ someone of Bauer’s reputation, isn’t amenable to it, even if it comes at the league minimum. We may never know.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I wonder if we will hear a flurry of player transactions early next week since teams can begin placing players on the 60 day IL beginning the first day pitchers and catchers report to camp. The Pirates have 4 players who could be placed on the 60 day IL, so possibly they could be waiting to announce any player additions until the corresponding move is to place someone on the 60 day IL.