Game Thread 4/28/2022 Brewers vs. Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It has to be just me.  I'm not trying to be "smart" or negative; just level-headed.

How much different is the team makeup, performance, and the gameday decisions from what folks expected it to be?

Wising it was is another matter.  I'm talking about expectations.  I don't see much difference at all.  If anything, the results- other than the historical one-off routing- are a little better, aren't they?

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6A4C4B5E575B4C5A52390 wrote: Time to set Reynolds down for a few days.  He is trying so hard to get out of his rut but just can't do it.  Let him get his head in his hitting game while on the bench.
Yeah, but we can't bench them all.

Surg,

If you don't set Reynolds down they will still lose games. Hopefully, he will break out after sitting out a series and become the best player on the team.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

406169406B63040 wrote: Time to set Reynolds down for a few days.  He is trying so hard to get out of his rut but just can't do it.  Let him get his head in his hitting game while on the bench.

Surg,

If you don't set Reynolds down they will still lose games.  Hopefully, he will break out after sitting out a series and become the best player on the team.

The Pirates have only had 7 hits in the past 2 games and Reynolds has 2 of them. He had a nice line drive hit to RF today. Those are good signs. I wouldn't sit him when he looks like he might be coming out of it.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Is he being fooled on pitches?

If yes, sit him.

If no, he's in my lineup.

Reynolds is the Pirates. If he's not, then tell me who is.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

4D6A7B7F7A67586C7B7A7A671E0 wrote: Terrible loss today. Bednar has to pitch that 9th inning and close that game out. He hadn’t pitched since Sunday and threw 10 pitches in the 8th inning. You’re desperate to win a game against this Brewers team who has beaten you 5 straight games this season so far and putting in Stratton over Bednar to try and get the save was not the way to go. Derek Shelton is a bad manager that’s all there is to it. I don’t want him anywhere near this team in the next several years when these young guys are ready to come up. He is a tone deaf manager who is in way over his head.

Shelton probably wanted both guys available for tomorrow night. If Bednar and Stratton were of equal ability , you could see what he did. Hardly the case as a total moron can see one is just a guy and the other is elite. He is really over managing and pulling his starter after 75 pitches was also lame.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3F38293A2978754C0 wrote: Terrible loss today. Bednar has to pitch that 9th inning and close that game out. He hadn’t pitched since Sunday and threw 10 pitches in the 8th inning. You’re desperate to win a game against this Brewers team who has beaten you 5 straight games this season so far and putting in Stratton over Bednar to try and get the save was not the way to go. Derek Shelton is a bad manager that’s all there is to it. I don’t want him anywhere near this team in the next several years when these young guys are ready to come up. He is a tone deaf manager who is in way over his head.

Shelton probably wanted both guys available for tomorrow night. If Bednar and Stratton were of equal ability , you could see what he did. Hardly the case as a total moron can see one is just a guy and the other is elite. He is really over managing and pulling his starter after 75 pitches was also lame.

Shelton is grossly overmanaging and his moves don't even make sense. If he was concerned about the availability of relievers for the next game, why pull the dominating Quintana after 5 innings, 78 pitches and use up Yajure for 1.2 innings? After allowing the first pitch HR to Cutch, Quintana allowed only 3 singles with no walks and 9 strikeouts. After Cutch, no batter reached 2B. He could have let Quintana continue to dominate and saved Yajure for another day. Shelton has always shown a disregard for performance. A good day at the plate for a hitter is usually a precursor to a day on the bench. A strong outing by a pitcher means a quick hook. Shelton seems to make up his mind about how he wants to he manage the game before it starts and sticks to a plan regardless of how the players are performing. He can't seem to take his finger off all his managerial buttons and just let the players play.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1A3B331A31395E0 wrote: Time to set Reynolds down for a few days.  He is trying so hard to get out of his rut but just can't do it.  Let him get his head in his hitting game while on the bench.

Surg,

If you don't set Reynolds down they will still lose games.  Hopefully, he will break out after sitting out a series and become the best player on the team.

Good players have gone in slumps since the inception of baseball-we all want him to do well. no big deal
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

What is a big deal anymore?

Announcers and Shelton. That's the list right there.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

566374747F4674747F7874110 wrote: What is a big deal anymore?

Announcers and Shelton.  That's the list right there.
That's correct. You win a cookie. And here's Joe Block to tell you all about it. :D
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

{{{Sigh.}}}NWWL.

We aren't hitting. We aren't scoring. We pitch well occasionally. But, none are any big deals.

BOB's gotta love it.

And, I'm not miserable. Why not?

Because they're no big deals! ;D