Game Thread - 8/18 - Bucs vs BoSox

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Brubaker and Keller if they finish strong could both have an era under 4. That would be a nice step and confidence for them heading into the off season. :-?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

0E232E3F38293E7E7D4C0 wrote: Poor Reynolds. He had to endure the asinine Robbie interview.

"With the HR swings, what worked on the 2 swings for you?" How were you able to make that kind of contact?

Reynolds knows a stupid question when he hears one so he answered, "Just close my eyes and get a good pitch to hit. Put the barrel on it."

Robbie continues to approach baseball as if there's always a magic formula for success that can be easily described. He's the Shelton of broadcasting. Both imbeciles. 

So, what you're saying is.....both Robbie and Shelty need to improve their execution? ;)

Way to go, Hodgepodgers.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Some comments on the hodgepodge of nothingness.

1) Sox announcers really turned down the negativity regarding the Pirates in the last 2 games. Made positive comments about Contreras's stuff and how much power Reynolds generated from his easy swing. They also were critical of the Sox' lack of power.

2) The announcer's also raved about PNC Park and did a nice piece about Cora and some of the players visiting the Clemente museum.

3) I am not aware of any cummulative stats for a ballgame regarding exit velocity, but the Sox rarely hit the ball with any authority in games 1 & 3, but they hit a lot of line drive outs off of Contreras.

4) I am confused. Pirates want to limit the number of innings that Contreras throws this season. So, he goes 6 innings and throws 90 pitches. Brubaker is throwing his best game of the season and is at only 85 pitches after 7. Nope, can't bring him out for the 8th. Naturally, Thompson comes in and can't find the plate. Net result, Shelton uses 2 of his 3 best relievers to get 5 outs in what was an 8-0 game. Guess we gotta hope that the Reds forget how to hit tomorrow night.

5) Reynolds really rebounded from his dropped fly ball and strike-outs in game 1 to look like an all-star in the last 2 games. Some nice line drives by Newman too. I also thought that Cruz actually looked comfortable and confident at SS tonight. Unfortunately, he is really tanking at the plate.

6) Watched the last 3 innings of the Nats - Padres game that the Nats won 3-1 by scoring 2 runs off Hader in the 9th. With the exception of how hard he was throwing, Hader was performing like Will Crowe in the 9th. Hit a batter, a walk or two, surrendered a key hit, and a sacrifice fly. Also say Soto strike-out against his former team with the bases loaded and 2 outs when the game was still tied 1 - 1. Clearly, Hader may rebound in the near future and next year, but the Brewers may have made a really shrewd move trading him when they did. And while I loath the Dodgers, I find it amazing that the Pads can spend the boatload of money that they have to acquire a number of top ballplayers and they continue to lose ground to the Dodgers.

7) It would be good to see the Bucs win the upcoming series with the Reds.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

557875646372652526170 wrote: Poor Reynolds. He had to endure the asinine Robbie interview.

"With the HR swings, what worked on the 2 swings for you?" [highlight]How were you able to make that kind of contact?[/highlight]

Reynolds knows a stupid question when he hears one so he answered, "Just close my eyes and get a good pitch to hit. Put the barrel on it."

Robbie continues to approach baseball as if there's always a magic formula for success that can be easily described. He's the Shelton of broadcasting. Both imbeciles. 

Oh my, please tell me you're making that up.  I don't watch the games so I don't see his interviews but, if these are the kinds of questions he asks, how does he hold onto his job?  Does he have even an elementary understanding of the sport he's employed to talk about?
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1244524649534348455260474D41494C0E43200 wrote: Poor Reynolds. He had to endure the asinine Robbie interview.

"With the HR swings, what worked on the 2 swings for you?" [highlight]How were you able to make that kind of contact?[/highlight]

Oh my, please tell me you're making that up.  I don't watch the games so I don't see his interviews but, if these are the kinds of questions he asks, how does he hold onto his job?  Does he have even an elementary understanding of the sport he's employed to talk about?
What Reynolds should have said is "honestly Robbie, I just closed

my eyes and swung"
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6335233738223239342311363C30383D7F32510 wrote: Poor Reynolds. He had to endure the asinine Robbie interview.

Didn't make it up. That was verbatim. And it's a typical Robbie question. It's often "What led to you getting that hit?" or "What led to the team winning this game?" or "How does it feel to win that game?" He seems to have no understanding of baseball and assumes there's a definitive answer for every little thing that occurs in a game where you're trying to get enough of the bat on a 95+ mph ball to get a hit. If there were actual answers to the questions he asks, every player would harness that answer and enjoy 100% success.

My favorite Robbie moment was several years ago when Jordy Mercer got the winning hit to snap a long losing streak and had to endure the post game interview. Robbie said it must feel good to win that game and suggested to Mercer that the Pirates would probably be dancing in the clubhouse. It was an absurd comment considering how poorly the team had been playing. Mercer looked annoyed and then a clueless Robbie very enthusiastically said, "Show us your dance moves!" At that point Mercer rolled his eyes, said "no one is going to be dancing" and walked away, terminating the interview.

It's obvious Robbie doesn't know enough about baseball to ask pertinent questions so he always asks about how someone feels of how did they do something. Other than Mercer that day, the players tolerate it and just give very general answers since there's not really much they can say in response to "What led to you winning" or "how were you able to hit that ball that way?"

But I find those insipid interviews entertaining for the purpose of seeing just how stupid Robbie can be. He never disappoints.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: Poor Reynolds. He had to endure the asinine Robbie interview.

God forbid that Robbie and Brownie ever do a game together

in the booth

Didn't make it up. That was verbatim. And it's a typical Robbie question. It's often "What led to you getting that hit?" or "What led to the team winning this game?" or "How does it feel to win that game?" He seems to have no understanding of baseball and assumes there's a definitive answer for every little thing that occurs in a game where you're trying to get enough of the bat on a 95+ mph ball to get a hit. If there were actual answers to the questions he asks, every player would harness that answer and enjoy 100% success.

My favorite Robbie moment was several years ago when Jordy Mercer got the winning hit to snap a long losing streak and had to endure the post game interview. Robbie said it must feel good to win that game and suggested to Mercer that the Pirates would probably be dancing in the clubhouse. It was an absurd comment considering how poorly the team had been playing. Mercer looked annoyed and then a clueless Robbie very enthusiastically said, "Show us your dance moves!" At that point Mercer rolled his eyes, said "no one is going to be dancing" and walked away, terminating the interview. 

It's obvious Robbie doesn't know enough about baseball to ask pertinent questions so he always asks about how someone feels of how did they do something. Other than Mercer that day, the players tolerate it and just give very general answers since there's not really much they can say in response to "What led to you winning" or "how were you able to hit that ball that way?"

But I find those insipid interviews entertaining for the purpose of seeing just how stupid Robbie can be. He never disappoints.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

724C4941524A4A416144534017250 wrote: Poor Reynolds. He had to endure the asinine Robbie interview.

in the booth

in the booth
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Amen to THAT.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Then there are the games where Robbie brings food into the booth for Brown and Walk. He gets to interact with the announcers for the entire half inning without talking about the game. We get to watch them eat and joke about the food. That gives Robbie and the announcers more camera time (they love being the entertainment instead of the game) while not involving Robbie in any conversation about baseball.