Minor Leagues - 2023 Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Henry Davis homered in his Altoona debut.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Did the Pirates find a diamond in the rough with Jacob Gonzalez? In the Minor League phase of the Rule 5 Draft this past December the Pirates selected Jacob Gonzalez the son of former MLB player Luis Gonzalez. The Bucs started him in Bradenton this spring, and he was very successful. They recently moved him to Greensboro whenever they moved Henry Davis to Altoona. In his first 2 games at Greensboro he has 2 homers and 5 rbi. He seems at this point to be a very interesting prospect.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

2B27267D747D75787F607A4D0 wrote: Did the Pirates find a diamond in the rough with Jacob Gonzalez? In the Minor League phase of the Rule 5 Draft this past December the Pirates selected Jacob Gonzalez the son of former MLB player Luis Gonzalez. The Bucs started him in Bradenton this spring, and he was very successful. They recently moved him to Greensboro whenever they moved Henry Davis to Altoona. In his first 2 games at Greensboro he has 2 homers and 5 rbi. He seems at this point to be a very interesting prospect.

The only real issue is his age.  He'll be 24 next month so hopefully he continues to hit and moves up another level before the end of the year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7570777179736A777E6D6B661F0 wrote: Did the Pirates find a diamond in the rough with Jacob Gonzalez? In the Minor League phase of the Rule 5 Draft this past December the Pirates selected Jacob Gonzalez the son of former MLB player Luis Gonzalez. The Bucs started him in Bradenton this spring, and he was very successful. They recently moved him to Greensboro whenever they moved Henry Davis to Altoona. In his first 2 games at Greensboro he has 2 homers and 5 rbi. He seems at this point to be a very interesting prospect.

The only real issue is his age.  He'll be 24 next month so hopefully he continues to hit and moves up another level before the end of the year.

I think that's the issue. Gonzalez has had a lot of low level minor league experience. He played 94 games, 372 PAs in rookie leagues. He's had 271 games with 1,118 PA in low-A where he struggled until hitting .393 this year at Bradenton. In 2 prior seasons at low-A he hit .227 and .241. He was just moved up to high-A but last year at that level he hit just .174. He needs to prove that his sudden success at Bradenton this spring was not a fluke and, if so, he needs to show he can hit at a higher level. His age is more typical of AA and he's just now getting a chance at high-A.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

133E33222534236360510 wrote: Henry Davis homered in his Altoona debut.
I am anxious to see the Altoona lineup today. The past couple of games Henry Davis has not played, and I have to wonder if he is hurt, or sick. Little odd that the Pirates would promote Davis, and then have him sit out after he played his first couple games at AA.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6C60613A333A323F38273D0A0 wrote: Henry Davis homered in his Altoona debut.
I am anxious to see the Altoona lineup today. The past couple of games Henry Davis has not played, and I have to wonder if he is hurt, or sick. Little odd that the Pirates would promote Davis, and then have him sit out after he played his first couple games at AA.

He is not in the lineup again today. BC is on the Fan with his Sunday show and he has not said a thing about Davis.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

42636B426961060 wrote: Henry Davis homered in his Altoona debut.

He is not in the lineup again today.  BC is on the Fan with his Sunday show and he has not said a thing about Davis.

I heard the Sunday show as well, and nothing was mentioned. To miss another game tells me he is hurt, or maybe has Covid. I think he has now missed more Altoona games than he played.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Cruz with a solid Sunday. Two hits in 5 at bats with 5 rbi, and his 3rd home run. A few more games like that and he will be promoted to Pittsburgh.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Did the Pirates find a diamond in the rough with Jacob Gonzalez? In the Minor League phase of the Rule 5 Draft this past December the Pirates selected Jacob Gonzalez the son of former MLB player Luis Gonzalez. The Bucs started him in Bradenton this spring, and he was very successful. They recently moved him to Greensboro whenever they moved Henry Davis to Altoona. In his first 2 games at Greensboro he has 2 homers and 5 rbi. He seems at this point to be a very interesting prospect.

I think that's the issue. Gonzalez has had a lot of low level minor league experience. He played 94 games, 372 PAs in rookie leagues. He's had 271 games with 1,118 PA in low-A where he struggled until hitting .393 this year at Bradenton. In 2 prior seasons at low-A he hit .227 and .241. He was just moved up to high-A but last year at that level he hit just .174. He needs to prove that his sudden success at Bradenton this spring was not a fluke and, if so, he needs to show he can hit at a higher level. His age is more typical of AA and he's just now getting a chance at high-A. 
You guys maybe right with his age, but he is 3 for 4 today. His dad was a good player, so the genes are there. Who knows, he maybe a late bloomer. He keeps hitting at Greensboro, I am sure the Bucs will move him to Altoona before the end of the season to see how he handles AA pitching. For me , he is currently an interesting player.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

My apologies for continuing the posts regarding Jacob Gonzalez, but Greensboro had an early game today, and they lost 6-2. Gonzalez had another good game going 3 for 4 , and he hit his 4th homer. He seems like a player to keep an eye on this season. As a longtime Pirates fan, I hope this player follows in his dad’s footsteps.