WildwoodDave2

Official Game Thread - 3/30 - Bucs @ Reds

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Raise it!

I know it's only one game, but I like this Bae kid
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

765B56474051460605340 wrote: I just ordered my playoff tickets.
If you didn't order by the 8th inning, it might be too late.

I barely got my order in.  My seat’s in the last row in the right field corner.

By the way, who’s in the lead in the season prediction contest?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Maybe if we go 162-0, we can earn a first round bye!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: I just ordered my playoff tickets.
If you didn't order by the 8th inning, it might be too late.

I barely got my order in.  My seat’s in the last row in the right field corner.

By the way, who’s in the lead in the season prediction contest?
Surgnbuck predicted 57 wins. He's the closest at only 56 off.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Buccos running the table!

In spite of Keller.

Very excited about Cruz and Bae.

But anyone pinning their hopes on Keller being a legit No. 1 starter is probably going to be gravely disappointed.

But hey they got the W today and are officially tied for 1st place.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

164056424D57474C4156644349454D480A47240 wrote: Bae on base three times, steals a couple bases, and scores twice as Cruz gets him home on a sac fly.  Would like to see him batting first.
Why? This is exactly why they had the lineup they did. Cruz should see the most AB's, he's fast and can steal, much better option. Bae for today's game is perfect to help turn over the bottom of the order, he can get on, steal, and with a pitcheresque type batter behind him all the time, it's perfect to stay out of double plays, and then there's Cruz back up.

Worked like a charm today. Why change? If anything needs to change, it's realizing Suwinski just isn't ready for the major leagues. He was horrid during the spring, and it continues.

He'll hit three HR's next game I'm sure after saying this.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B293A27242126290A3D2B2B27480 wrote: Buccos running the table!

In spite of Keller.

Very excited about Cruz and Bae.

But anyone pinning their hopes on Keller being a legit No. 1 starter is probably going to be gravely disappointed.

But hey they got the W today and are officially tied for 1st place.
Agree about Cruz and Bae. Bae needs to hit in the top of the order. Cruz needs to move down where his HRs could be more than solos. Keller was 1 pitch away from completing 5 innings with 2 runs. He's not dominating but showed last year he can be a competent 6 inning starter. On this team, that's about the best we can expect. I think that's what he'll be over the course of the season.

I don't recall even 1 good AB by Santana today. He's now 37 and has shown over the past 3 years he can hit some HRs while hovering around .200. That's what they have in Suwinski. Let them bat 6-7 or 7-8 to provide the occasional instant offense while their general lack of hitting doesn't impair the heart of the order.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

So, having to listen to the game until I had class, and getting home in time to watch the final inning, my first two thoughts were:

1. How nauseating it was to listen to Block and Wehner sing Keller's praises as if he was Cy Young, all while giving back the three run lead. I said back in ST that I didn't see anything out of Keller that made me think he's going to be elite. His WHIP is way too high. I'm tired of hearing about how he has all this control over all these different pitches.

2. Nine walks is great. That was pretty much their offense. That isn't going to work too often, because they're not going to get 9 walks all the time. 11 K's is what I focused on and 0-6 RISP. It's the same exact type of offense as last season. Too many men LOB. First game, nice win. But I'd really like for someone, when there's all these runners on, to show some thump.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

426463767F7364727A110 wrote: So, having to listen to the game until I had class, and getting home in time to watch the final inning, my first two thoughts were:

1. How nauseating it was to listen to Block and Wehner sing Keller's praises as if he was Cy Young, all while giving back the three run lead. I said back in ST that I didn't see anything out of Keller that made me think he's going to be elite. His WHIP is way too high. I'm tired of hearing about how he has all this control over all these different pitches.

2. [highlight]Nine walks is great.[/highlight] That was pretty much their offense. That isn't going to work too often, because they're not going to get 9 walks all the time. 11 K's is what I focused on and 0-6 RISP. It's the same exact type of offense as last season. Too many men LOB. First game, nice win. But I'd really like for someone, when there's all these runners on, to show some thump.

9 walks is typically 3 or 4 games for the Bucs. Only averaged 2.94 last season, getting that up to 3.5 or higher should help. Pirate pitchers walked 586.

Can you tell just by looking that the bases are bigger? I can't.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

674140574151220 wrote: So, having to listen to the game until I had class, and getting home in time to watch the final inning, my first two thoughts were:

2. [highlight]Nine walks is great.[/highlight] That was pretty much their offense. That isn't going to work too often, because they're not going to get 9 walks all the time. 11 K's is what I focused on and 0-6 RISP. It's the same exact type of offense as last season. Too many men LOB. First game, nice win. But I'd really like for someone, when there's all these runners on, to show some thump.

9 walks is typically 3 or 4 games for the Bucs.  Only averaged 2.94 last season, getting that up to 3.5 or higher should help.  Pirate pitchers walked 586. 

Can you tell just by looking that the bases are bigger?  I can't.
I mentioned that in a post, maybe in spring training. If anyone claims they can tell the difference, I'm not taking it at face value.

I'd really love to see a picture of the old size base side by side with the new one. But simple geometry will tell you that the size difference is imperceptible from the stands. There isn't a lot of data yet obviously, the stolen base percentage was 2% better this spring. As was said on an analyzing type show, that's what teams have the analytics departments for, to determine if that number makes it worth the risk to run more.

But with the throw over rules, we'll never know if bases, the throw over rules, the pitch clock, have the bigger effect if stolen bases explode this season.