Davis being promoted to the Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0E232E3F38293E7E7D4C0 wrote: Great.

I quit following hockey a long time ago only because of time.  My hockey history's a bit weak.

When the Pens drafted Sid Crosby, did they make him a goalie?

Did the Steelers make Bradshaw a punter?

We don't win for reasons.  This is not a problem with any Collective Bargaining Agreement.  It's 100% internal and by design.
Now just hold on a cotton-pickin' minute, GW. After all, this is the  same franchise that drafted slugger John Van Benschoten in the 1st round and turned him into a pitch...er....uh...wait....never mind.

But seriously, I think if Cherington had not squandered $5 million of his boss's money on Hedges, he would be only too anxious to install Davis behind the plate. But Cherington is now in CYA mode and has to pretend that signing Hedges was the right move and that there's no room for Davis behind the plate until Hedges is nontendered next year. 

Which is absolutely the worst reason for not having Davis behind the plate. The remaining money due Hedges has to be paid whether he plays or not. The opportunity cost of playing him is not playing Davis behind the plate, which delays his development.

They’re making way too big of a deal about him not being quite ready to catch a major league game. How much will that hurt the Pirates? Will they lose two or three more games because of his mistakes? Better that he make the mistakes now and learn from them than make them next year when the team will be more competitive.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0D382F2F241D2F2F24232F4A0 wrote: Great.

I quit following hockey a long time ago only because of time.  My hockey history's a bit weak.

We don't win for reasons.  This is not a problem with any Collective Bargaining Agreement.  It's 100% internal and by design.

Crosby was a generational talent so why move him to goalie? As for Bradshaw, he punted 8 times in his career as a Steeler. How's that for ya?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

That was my point, Possum. I have no idea whether Davis will or won't be some kind of Johnny Bench, but we did take him with the first pick. We have a catcher who might catch mustard, but he can't catch any mustard when he's up to bat. That's the guy who should be playing in right field, not Davis, who is our future. Nothing about this guy gives me any reservation. The pitchers are big boys. They'll throw to whomever's behind the plate. And, Davis can gain their respect. I'm sure that the pitchers would support his growth as a MLB catcher. Putting him in right field makes 0 sense to me.....which is probably their reason for doing it.

As for Bradshaw punting, good catch there. I forgot about that. It was 100 years ago when they wore leather helmets. Did they ever make him play defensive lineman? ;)))

If Davis turns out to be the second coming of Roberto Clemente, then I'll eat my words. I would make Hedges change positions. He won't be here much longer, anyway. At least- I hope not. Who knows what these guys might do.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: Great.

Now just hold on a cotton-pickin' minute, GW. After all, this is the  same franchise that drafted slugger John Van Benschoten in the 1st round and turned him into a pitch...er....uh...wait....never mind.

But seriously, I think if Cherington had not squandered $5 million of his boss's money on Hedges, he would be only too anxious to install Davis behind the plate. But Cherington is now in CYA mode and has to pretend that signing Hedges was the right move and that there's no room for Davis behind the plate until Hedges is nontendered next year. 

I knew someone was going to bring up JVB....and, I would have placed my money on you! ;)

Agree with you on all. I just need to vent. With this team, I keep saying "Enough's enough."

But.....it's never enough.

I don't know what I will do if we ever win. I might have to take up darts.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Henry Davis, Louisville, Catcher- 1/1 Draft Pick, no questions about it.

Henry Davis, Louisville- Outfielder?- Just an average outfielder suspect.

The entire reason that Davis was taken 1/1 is because he is a Catcher.  He can be one of those Catchers that we don't see very often.

As an outfielder?  Pretty much....garden vegetable variety.  We can get Henry Davis, Outfielder so many ways.  We wouldn't have needed to squander a first pick of a draft for Henry Davis, outfielder.

We are not scoring runs.  Maybe some of the reason that we are not scoring runs is because our current catcher isn't a very good hitter.

But, we have the latest rendition of The Best Management Team in Baseball If Not All Sports.

If Henry Davis, Louisville- Catcher is not ready to be a MLB catcher and needs to spend time in the bullpen or training conference room, then they should have left him in the minors. 

If this Hedges (or, "Hedgie", as Shelton calls him) guy's so good, then I'm sure that some LCS or WS-capable team will give us something for him.  Do it today.  I want to see Henry Davis, formerly from Louisville, now with the Pirates, catching....working with pitchers, developing field management skills, and the rest.

Trust The Process. Maybe not the Pirates Process. But, Trust The Process.