I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:22 pm I would say the last decent free agent to sign with the Pirates would be Russell Martin. I think that was the offseason of 2012. The Tellez thing is embarrassing, disgusting or whatever you want to call it. This is a negative thing that the entire sports industry is talking about. The Pirates should want to hear positive news about their organization, not news which portrays them as cheap b———-. Why do I want to follow this organization, or attend a handful of games each year? I am very disappointed in their actions to this situation.
People like Bob Nutting don’t get embarrassed by things like this. They just hide out until the story loses its legs. He just saved $200,000. The only feelings he’s having are ones of giddiness.

With regard to the better free agents now avoiding the Pirates, that’s been the case for years. They’re not coming here because they know what it’s like here, and that’s okay with Nutting because he doesn’t want them here anyway.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This latest situation has upset me. It is not that Rowdy won’t have enough money to buy groceries etc, but the way the Pirates handled this fiasco. Four more at bats to reach a bonus, and they cut him. How cheap can a team be? I hate liars and greedy people. Our owner falls under both categories. It would be fantastic if the Players Union would go after the Pirates because of this. If Rowdy doesn’t get the 200 grand give the money to the food bank. At least it doesn’t end up with greedy Bob.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:48 pm This latest situation has upset me. It is not that Rowdy won’t have enough money to buy groceries etc, but the way the Pirates handled this fiasco. Four more at bats to reach a bonus, and they cut him. How cheap can a team be? I hate liars and greedy people. Our owner falls under both categories. It would be fantastic if the Players Union would go after the Pirates because of this. If Rowdy doesn’t get the 200 grand give the money to the food bank. At least it doesn’t end up with greedy Bob.
It's not just that they kept Tellez from getting the bonus. The worst part of it is the timing. If they had released him in July or August 4 PAs shy of the bonus we would have said, "that's too bad but they needed to improve the roster." But they didn't care how bad he was. They just kept sending him out there until that bonus looked like a brick wall they weren't going to crash into with just 6 meaningless games left. They gave the silly explanation that it was necessary to recall Peguero and Palacios for the final 6 games but they rode the bench that day anyway.

If winning mattered, Tellez would have been gone long ago. If player development mattered, Peguero and Palacios would have been recalled long ago. But if the only thing that mattered was money, Tellez would have been released the day before he could get the bonus no matter how late in the season. There's only 1 thing that matters in this craptastic organization. We need no further evidence.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Javy

Post by Javy »

The background management of this organization is utterly deceitful. The fans have been continuously lied to since the Nuttings took control. Yeah, I know McClatchey didn't get the team into any competitive mode, but he was far more open than either Ogden or Bob ever was.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, after reading that the lease expires in 2030 or so, if Nutting doesn't start clamoring for either a new ballpark or major renovations, claiming he needs it to be "competitive in a changing financial climate" or he may have to move the team. Naturally, he'll have spread enough money around to garner some support to where he doesn't spend much of his own money to build or upgrade. And, in the interim between now and then, the Buc's may never make it over .500

He's lower than a snakes belly, or whale s*^t.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:11 am The background management of this organization is utterly deceitful. The fans have been continuously lied to since the Nuttings took control. Yeah, I know McClatchey didn't get the team into any competitive mode, but he was far more open than either Ogden or Bob ever was.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, after reading that the lease expires in 2030 or so, if Nutting doesn't start clamoring for either a new ballpark or major renovations, claiming he needs it to be "competitive in a changing financial climate" or he may have to move the team. Naturally, he'll have spread enough money around to garner some support to where he doesn't spend much of his own money to build or upgrade. And, in the interim between now and then, the Buc's may never make it over .500

They’re lying liars who lie, Javy. It’s what they’re good at.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:51 am
Javy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:11 am The background management of this organization is utterly deceitful. The fans have been continuously lied to since the Nuttings took control. Yeah, I know McClatchey didn't get the team into any competitive mode, but he was far more open than either Ogden or Bob ever was.

They’re lying liars who lie, Javy. It’s what they’re good at.
I totally agree with Javy. Nutting will want some major renovations for PNC prior to the lease expires in 2030, and if the City and County say no he will entertain moving the franchise. He is a snake!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

What Mr Nutting should do at year end is meet the media, and have a State of the Team conference similar as the Rooneys have done with the Steelers. Everything with the Pirates is a guessing game. Will payroll increase, will they pursue better type of free agents? Even the contracts with Ben C and Shelty are unknown. Everything with the workings of the team are hushed up.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:40 am What Mr Nutting should do at year end is meet the media, and have a State of the Team conference similar as the Rooneys have done with the Steelers. Everything with the Pirates is a guessing game. Will payroll increase, will they pursue better type of free agents? Even the contracts with Ben C and Shelty are unknown. Everything with the workings of the team are hushed up.
There would be little else so enjoyable than for Nutting to face the media to answer questions about the club. But we all know it'll never happen. There's no way he puts himself through that. As far as he's concerned, the organization was a winner because profit expectations were met or were even exceeded. It's the only measurement that matters. Questions regarding the teams performance are ridiculous to him. Besides, every answer would be a lie anyway. He is who he is, a lying liar who lies.

No, he'll just hole himself up in Wheeling, refuse to speak with anyone, and enjoy the spoils that come from simply owning a major league team. He's living large.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

That's it, Doc. To Nutting, the Pirates are nothing more than a revenue generating business. How they perform on the field is irrelevant. But since a certain degree of public support is necessary, he occasionally has to endure the charade of pretending to care about winning. So we'll get a preseason comment about building a championship team (after which I'm guessing he spits and says, "I'm glad that's over with for another year"). But building a championship team is unnecessary and costs money. So it's not even a consideration. Sometimes, appeasement of the supporters requires a change in GM and manager. But that's just for show. You don't improve on a Huntington and Hurdle by hiring a Cherington and Shelton. One's as good as another. They suffice for Nutting's purposes. It's the mere act of the change that accomplishes the goal of making it look like he cares.

And it seems like whenever he's actually asked about the baseball operation, Nutting mentions the Dominican Academy. It seems more like a money laundering scheme than a pipeline for baseball talent.

("What are you doing with all that profit, Bob?")
("Who, me? Oh...I...uh...oh...I'm a...I'm putting lots of money into that darned Baseball Academy thingy. Yeah, that's what I'm doing! That's the ticket.")
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:00 pm That's it, Doc. To Nutting, the Pirates are nothing more than a revenue generating business. How they perform on the field is irrelevant. But since a certain degree of public support is necessary, he occasionally has to endure the charade of pretending to care about winning. So we'll get a preseason comment about building a championship team (after which I'm guessing he spits and says, "I'm glad that's over with for another year"). But building a championship team is unnecessary and costs money. So it's not even a consideration. Sometimes, appeasement of the supporters requires a change in GM and manager. But that's just for show. You don't improve on a Huntington and Hurdle by hiring a Cherington and Shelton. One's as good as another. They suffice for Nutting's purposes. It's the mere act of the change that accomplishes the goal of making it look like he cares.

And it seems like whenever he's actually asked about the baseball operation, Nutting mentions the Dominican Academy. It seems more like a money laundering scheme than a pipeline for baseball talent.

("What are you doing with all that profit, Bob?")
("Who, me? Oh...I...uh...oh...I'm a...I'm putting lots of money into that darned Baseball Academy thingy. Yeah, that's what I'm doing! That's the ticket.")
And I wish someone would tell him to button his shirt. I don't know what look he's going for but he looks ridiculous.