Official Game Thread - 6/29 - Bucs vs Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Brewers won, Cubs lost and StL got destroyed.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

277167737C66767D7067557278747C793B76150 wrote: Great to sweep the Padres.

And, after watching Triolo at 3rd in this series, Hayes better pick it up with the stick, because Triolo appears to be his match with a glove.

The pen pitched 4.33 innings without giving up a run, including 4 outs from Ryan Bouricki.

Hard to believe that a team has Tatis, Soto, Machado, and Bogarts at the top of their order.  I would be ecstatic to have one of them on the Pirates.

This is why baseball is such a great game.  When the very best team plays the very worst team, it seems more often than not both teams will win one of those games, making the third one up for grabs.  NFL football, on the other hand, the best team will win 97 times out of 100 against the worst team.

I know you don't follow Steelers but that last sentence does not apply to the Steelers. Especially in the Playoffs.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

113C31202736216162530 wrote: Shelton getting it done with the right lineups and pitching changes at the right time.  Have to wonder who goes when Reynolds and Hayes come back.  Have to think Bae and Triolo get sent down with Bae the first to go.
Shelton got it done by having the Padres' pitcher throw Suwinski's little dribbler into RF to allow 2 runs to score in a 1 run victory. Suwinski was generously credited with a single but was not close enough to 1B to beat the throw if it had been on target. That play was the difference between a 5-4 win and a 4-3 loss.

I think you need to say it was the difference between a 5-4 win and a 4-4 tie. The situation with Suwinski at the plate was 1st and 3rd and 1 out. Castro scores from 3rd on that play even if the out is recorded.

Good point!

Shelton also left Suwinski stay in to bat against the lefty. He could have pinch hit for him which would have probably been accepted here as the correct move. Its ok to say he makes good decisions at times
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2E1214120900160F610 wrote: Shelton getting it done with the right lineups and pitching changes at the right time.  Have to wonder who goes when Reynolds and Hayes come back.  Have to think Bae and Triolo get sent down with Bae the first to go.
Shelton got it done by having the Padres' pitcher throw Suwinski's little dribbler into RF to allow 2 runs to score in a 1 run victory. Suwinski was generously credited with a single but was not close enough to 1B to beat the throw if it had been on target. That play was the difference between a 5-4 win and a 4-3 loss.

I think you need to say it was the difference between a 5-4 win and a 4-4 tie. The situation with Suwinski at the plate was 1st and 3rd and 1 out. Castro scores from 3rd on that play even if the out is recorded.

Good point!

Shelton also left Suwinski stay in to bat against the lefty.   He could have pinch hit for him which would have probably been accepted here as the correct move.  Its ok to say he makes good decisions at times

I commented the other day that Shelton made a good decision by letting Contreras go 3 innings in relief. It was a good decision because it gave Contreras confidence while also saving the bullpen. But I'm not going to give Shelton credit for a good decision just because a batter makes weak contact and the opposing pitcher throws the ball away instead of getting him out at 1B. By that standard, every time an opponent makes an error, it was a good decision by Shelton. I don't think we should set the bar that low for "good decisions."
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0A3834342012313835303F38590 wrote: Brewers won, Cubs lost and StL got destroyed.
Yes indeed 14-0