Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Surgnbuck »

Too bad Rockies grabbed Quantrill, I was hoping he'd make it to the Pirates.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears that the Brewers are going to non tender Tellez. I am wondering if he would be a platoon partner with Joe or Triolo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates tendered contracts to 34 players and signed Borucki. They non tendered Stratton and Bido. According to Jason Mackey they would like to sign both to minor league contracts. Their roster is now at 37 players. They now have some roster spots for free agents, and possibly a Rule 5 pick.
Possum

Post by Possum »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:03 am The Pirates tendered contracts to 34 players and signed Borucki. They non tendered Stratton and Bido. According to Jason Mackey they would like to sign both to minor league contracts. Their roster is now at 37 players. They now have some roster spots for free agents, and possibly a Rule 5 pick.
Any idea who they protected from the Rule 5 draft?
Let's Go Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Possum wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:01 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:03 am The Pirates tendered contracts to 34 players and signed Borucki. They non tendered Stratton and Bido. According to Jason Mackey they would like to sign both to minor league contracts. Their roster is now at 37 players. They now have some roster spots for free agents, and possibly a Rule 5 pick.
Any idea who they protected from the Rule 5 draft?
Braxton Ashcraft and Tsung-Che Cheng.
Possum

Post by Possum »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:58 am It appears that the Brewers are going to non tender Tellez. I am wondering if he would be a platoon partner with Joe or Triolo.
While he is not the second coming of Dick Stuart, Tellez is close to it. Give me Carlos Santana who plays like a GG 1Bman and who can hit the ball as well or better than Tellez.
Let's Go Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

So this is in part for The Wizard, but anyone else also. The most notable issues the Pirates have done with their off season roster:
The Pirates left three players who were part of their top 30 prospects go unprotected, Matt Gorski, Malcom Nunez, and Jase Bowen.

They non-tendered Hunter Stratton and Osvaldo Bido, both who elected free agency. I would like to see Bido come back into the fold.

They declined the option on Jarlin Garcia, which was a no brainer IMHO, however I've read other fans say they thought he was worth the risk to keep one more year. IDK what they eat for breakfast, but it doesn't help their thinking process if you asked me. He's Lonnie Chisenhall all over again. I'm guessing that money is being pushed over into the collection plate that's next to the spare coin jar on BOB's cupboard to help pay for Cutch.

Everyone's favorite "he's mashing at AAA" AAAA player, Miguel Andujar, was sent packing. His value was clearly shown when the lowly Athletics took him. He was pretty much a salary casualty. The Bucs also let go Angel Perdomo, who looked exceptionally promising, but wouldn't you know it, Buc Luck strikes again and he has a bad elbow. Braves picked him up, a team like them can afford to stash him for a while.

Speaking of Buc Luck, Oviedo is headed for TJ surgery, that came out of the blue. So essentially, the Pirates 40 man roster is down to 36, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Burrows and Brubaker start the season being placed back on the 60 day IL when that window opens.

Sure would love to hear some official news about Cruz, not speculation and scuttlebutt, or organizational speak.

There is absolutely no one the Pirates have let go, traded, DFA, non-tendered, or left unprotected that I will miss.
wvbucco

Post by wvbucco »

Might miss Stephenson a little bit. They Rays seemed to turn him into something. Why is it always the Rays? But relievers are replacable, so not a big loss.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Phillies announced the signing of Aaron Nola to a 7-yr 175 million contract. That is a $24 million annual average. What would would say if the Bucs extended Keller for that annual amount?
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possum wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:42 pm Phillies announced the signing of Aaron Nola to a 7-yr 175 million contract. That is a $24 million annual average. What would would say if the Bucs extended Keller for that annual amount?
I don’t believe the Pirates will commit to an annual salary in the $20 million class. Just a guess, but I think they will offer fours years around $60 million. I think that would cover two years of arbitration, and an additional two years before he would become a free agent. At that time he would be 31 years old, and if he was still pitching well, he would probably be in position for a much larger contract.