Official Game Thread - 8/25 - Bucs vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/25 - Bucs vs Cubs

Post by Doc »

MaineBucs1 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:46 pm Quick note regarding Keller.

Gerrit Cole has pitched 168 innings and has 181 strike-outs. Keller has thrown 163 innings and has 179 strike-outs. Two years ago, I never would have imagined that Keller would equal Cole's strike-out numbers.

Also, really nice pitching performance by Keller last night against a good hitting Cubs line-up.
Cole has been an interesting player. His size, velocity, and competitiveness are top-notch, but his results, for whatever reason, don’t seem to match-up to them. His stats are really solid: averages 16 wins a year, ERA is just north of 3.00, strikes out almost five times as many guys as he walks, WHIP is just over 1.00, and he’s on the mound for over 200 innings per year. Maybe it’s my perception but he seems to come up short in big games for whatever reason. There isn’t one GM who wouldn’t want him in his rotation but there’s something about Cole that has him just on the outside of the ranks of the elite pitchers.
Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/25 - Bucs vs Cubs

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:11 pm
MaineBucs1 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:46 pm Quick note regarding Keller.

Gerrit Cole has pitched 168 innings and has 181 strike-outs. Keller has thrown 163 innings and has 179 strike-outs. Two years ago, I never would have imagined that Keller would equal Cole's strike-out numbers.

Also, really nice pitching performance by Keller last night against a good hitting Cubs line-up.
Cole has been an interesting player. His size, velocity, and competitiveness are top-notch, but his results, for whatever reason, don’t seem to match-up to them. His stats are really solid: averages 16 wins a year, ERA is just north of 3.00, strikes out almost five times as many guys as he walks, WHIP is just over 1.00, and he’s on the mound for over 200 innings per year. Maybe it’s my perception but he seems to come up short in big games for whatever reason. There isn’t one GM who wouldn’t want him in his rotation but there’s something about Cole that has him just on the outside of the ranks of the elite pitchers.
I consider Cole one of the elite pitchers. And his post season record is good too. Only a handful of poor games.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... r=0&post=1
There's no basement in the Alamo.