Winter Meetings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Winter Meetings

Post by BenM »

I'm not worried about Benedict and the Marlins, but I do wonder if it represents another erosion of another one of those small advantages the Pirates have smartly carved out under Huntington.

Improved baseball academies, manipulating draft money, integrating advanced stats into on field decision making, rehabbing pitchers with peripherals/mechanics better than their performance. . .

They were pretty early in all of those things. Now they are gone or other teams are catching up. The Bucs may have some more market inefficiencies they can exploit to help level the playing field, but those aren't as useful as the used to be.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0D2A21024F0 wrote: I'm not worried about Benedict and the Marlins, but I do wonder if it represents another erosion of another one of those small advantages the Pirates have smartly carved out under Huntington.

Improved baseball academies, manipulating draft money, integrating advanced stats into on field decision making, rehabbing pitchers with peripherals/mechanics better than their performance. . .

They were pretty early in all of those things. Now they are gone or other teams are catching up. The Bucs may have some more market inefficiencies they can exploit to help level the playing field, but those aren't as useful as the used to be.

I think this too. They must be doing something right if they are being copied and their front office people are wanted around the league.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

Wade Davis for Jorge Soler.

No more Aroldis Chapman in Chicago.
SammyKhalifa

Winter Meetings

Post by SammyKhalifa »

545F575B5E5F440107704951585F5F1E535F300 wrote: Wade Davis for Jorge Soler. 

No more Aroldis Chapman in Chicago.

Makes sense for Chicago too, but you have to like that trade for KC. All else equal, I would send away a reliever for a starting position player basically every time.
IABucFan

Winter Meetings

Post by IABucFan »

784A46465260434A47424D4A2B0 wrote:

Makes sense for Chicago too, but you have to like that trade for KC.    All else equal, I would send away a reliever for a starting position player basically every time. 

When I saw this trade had gone down, I was thrilled, as a Pirates fan. Soler is the real deal. He's a starter for most teams. The Cubs just traded away an excellent bench bat who would probably rack up 300+ ABs for a reliever, albeit an outstanding reliever. And it probably means Chapman is gone. So, in essence, Cubs trade Soler and Chapman for Davis. Great deal for the Pirates and every other team in the NL.
Leyland1948

Winter Meetings

Post by Leyland1948 »

I think it was a disappointing Winter Meeting! Was expecting a lot of trades.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

Nationals moving in on Adam Eaton.

I guess they are over trying to get McCutchen?
SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

29222A262322397C7A0D342C252222632E224D0 wrote: Nationals moving in on Adam Eaton.

I guess they are over trying to get McCutchen?

I would think this eliminates basically our trade options for Cutch considering Texas, Seattle and SF farm systems stink.  Funny, Giolito and Lopez as well as one other prospect (Dane Dunning) is going to the White Sox. So, they got Washington's #1, #3 and #6 prospect for Eaton. They have gotten a ton of young talent by trading Sale and Eaton.

Very underwhelmed with Pittsburgh's efforts to improve the roster thus far.  Not surprised.
BucsFaninGA

Winter Meetings

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Yep, Our beloved Bucs Front Office strikes again. Build us up for a big fat zero. While I am glad Clutch remains a Bucco. What the heck are we going to run out there to fill the two remaining starting pitching spots? Darn, The Front Office and NH really irritate the heck out of me. Make me down right exasperated... >:(
JollyRoger

Winter Meetings

Post by JollyRoger »

WTF is going on with NH. The Nats are willing to trade Giolito, Lopez, & Dunning for Adam Eaton? Did he turn down A similar package for Cutch? I think NH may have overplayed his hand and we will be dumpster diving soon