An idea for the fifth starter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

333A32232D570 wrote: In Spring Training, scouting comes into play more than actual stats sometimes.  Competition can be good for everyone.  But if there is no set bar, it still comes down to scouting, potential, and maybe experience along with some stats.

If the Pirates don't feel the other guys pulled away, then they will go with the original plan.  Like, it was his job to lose and the others weren't good enough to take it away.  I didn't know the 5th starter was based just on spring training stats.  If it was, then Hutchison should not get the position.   

I expected Hutchison to be the 5th Starter no matter what. I assumed others thought the same way.

I didn't know that the 5th starter the following year was determined on justifying a bad trade.   

The third starter was last year.

It doesn't matter what is said, this will be the fan's reaction since everyone loved Liriano and his 5+ ERA and think McGuire and Ramirez are top prospects and hate the management team that turned around the franchise after 20 years of losing and made the playoffs three out of the last four years. 

Edit:

P.S.

Jeff Locke and Charlie Morton were in the rotation for years too.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I really thought Hutchison had a lock on the role, but I see he's now been sent to AAA.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Just saw the same. I think Glasnow is the 5th starter. I thought it would be Brault, but I really didn't think the front office would just hand it to Hutchison in order to save face.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6A636B7A740E0 wrote: In Spring Training, scouting comes into play more than actual stats sometimes.  Competition can be good for everyone.  But if there is no set bar, it still comes down to scouting, potential, and maybe experience along with some stats.

If the Pirates don't feel the other guys pulled away, then they will go with the original plan.  Like, it was his job to lose and the others weren't good enough to take it away.  I didn't know the 5th starter was based just on spring training stats.  If it was, then Hutchison should not get the position.   

I expected Hutchison to be the 5th Starter no matter what. I assumed others thought the same way.

I didn't know that the 5th starter the following year was determined on justifying a bad trade.   

To be fair Niese had a history of pretty decent results.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I can see a real advantage to Glasnow as the five. It gives him time to work with Searage, plus allows the team to control his innings. He doesn't seem to have enough challenge at AAA. On a more intermittent basis at the ML level, he can work into the system.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This isn't a Steve Brault commentary, just a general statement.

For a franchise like the Pirates, who play 81 games in a home ballpark clearly is more friendly for left-hander hitters, I don't know why part of the organizational philosophy does not include having at least 2 lefties in the rotation.

As it stands now, for every single home game we play, we'll have nothing but RH pitchers throwing to a lot of great LH hitters starting at that short porch in RF.

Sure would be nice to mix in a few lefty starters.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Down to Williams and Glasnow now.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

785A49545752555A794E5858543B0 wrote: This isn't a Steve Brault commentary, just a general statement.

For a franchise like the Pirates, who play 81 games in a home ballpark clearly is more friendly for left-hander hitters, I don't know why part of the organizational philosophy does not include having at least 2 lefties in the rotation.

As it stands now, for every single home game we play, we'll have nothing but RH pitchers throwing to a lot of great LH hitters starting at that short porch in RF.

Sure would be nice to mix in a few lefty starters.

Francisco Liriano, Jon Niese, and Jeff Locke say hi.  Personally, I'd rather have five righties that can get guys out than three lefties throwing BP.  ;D But in a vacuum, you're right.  All things being equal, we'd be better served by having a few lefties who could get guys out.

(That's not entirely fair to Liriano who was outstanding most of his time in Pittsburgh.)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'd be okay with Williams based on sheer entertainment value. He's a funny dude.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

My thoughts earlier in this thread. I guess yesterday's outing really changed some things. I didn't know Hutchison had an option.

My prediction (if):

Hutchsion starts, Williams in the bullpen.

Brault starts, Hutchison in the bullpen.

Williams starts, Hutchison in the bullpen.

Glasnow in Triple A.