Marte suspended 80 games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by Ecbucs »

Until Kang's incident last year I thought this team was filled with likeable players.  That makes a difference to me.

Now Kang and Marte both screw up big time.

Character matters (of course they need talent too). Was glad not to have team go after Papelbon.
RichD

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by RichD »

Go make a trade with Dodgers for AAA OF O`Koyea Dickson he is older with 3 solid AAA seasons under his belt and he is off to a hot start. I wanted him in the offseason. One of those guys who just needs a shot.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

55454473656569060 wrote:

I agree, the window is quickly coming to a close.  Next year, we will still need another arm for the rotation and a 1B man for starters.  Do you expect this organization to all the sudden acquire good pieces?

Every starter is signed through 2019.  They have a young 1B in Bell. 

They have acquired good pieces since 2012 and made the playoffs three years in a row.  I don't understand how you either forget that or you think it is still some type of negative hit towards the management team?

They haven't added anyone of true significance that helps right now, absent Nova.  Don't kid yourself.  Good for them ... they made the playoffs three years in a row.  We made it out of the WC game once.  Fact is this, ownership or the FO didn't take advantage of that momentum and add GOOD pieces to get further.  That led to last year's sparkling performance.  Reality check dude.

Why doesn't Nova count? Why doesn't Cervelli count? Why doesn't Hudson count? Why doesn't Rivero count? Why doesn't Harrison count? Why doesn't Freese count? Those six players aren't helping the current team or aren't true significances?

Yeah, they signed Latin American players and drafted players to fill up the roster. What position players did you want them to replace?

What teams have built on their playoff runs over the last few years: The Royals? The Cubs? Who else?

I don't need a reality check, Dude. You hate the Pirates or the ownership so much (yet you post here) that you don't see the positives at all. Only one team can win the World Series every year. Only three teams (Phillies are the third) going back to 2008 improved on their Playoff season from the previous season.
JollyRoger

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by JollyRoger »

I totally disagree about punting. This is still a talented team.

The pitching staff so far has shown flashes of dominance.

Let's see how the next 2-3 months play out before jumping ship.
dmetz

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by dmetz »

Someone get Kang a freaking VISA and we're right back to being almost there

Frazier basically becomes a full time outfielder now. jHay is a plus defensive 2bman so no reason to play him in the OF
SCBucco

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by SCBucco »

5259515D5859420701764F575E5959185559360 wrote:

I agree, the window is quickly coming to a close.  Next year, we will still need another arm for the rotation and a 1B man for starters.  Do you expect this organization to all the sudden acquire good pieces?

They have acquired good pieces since 2012 and made the playoffs three years in a row.  I don't understand how you either forget that or you think it is still some type of negative hit towards the management team?

They haven't added anyone of true significance that helps right now, absent Nova.  Don't kid yourself.  Good for them ... they made the playoffs three years in a row.  We made it out of the WC game once.  Fact is this, ownership or the FO didn't take advantage of that momentum and add GOOD pieces to get further.  That led to last year's sparkling performance.  Reality check dude.

Why doesn't Nova count?  Why doesn't Cervelli count?  Why doesn't Hudson count?  Why doesn't Rivero count? Why doesn't Harrison count?  Why doesn't Freese count?  Those six players aren't helping the current team or aren't true significances? 

Yeah, they signed Latin American players and drafted players to fill up the roster.  What position players did you want them to replace? 

What teams have built on their playoff runs over the last few years:  The Royals?  The Cubs?  Who else? 

I don't need a reality check, Dude.  You hate the Pirates or the ownership so much (yet you post here) that you don't see the positives at all.  Only one team can win the World Series every year.  Only three teams (Phillies are the third) going back to 2008 improved on their Playoff season from the previous season.

Did I not say absent Nova?  Hudson is an injury waiting to happen.  You think he is impact?  I don't.  Cervelli has been here since when?  So, the off season was resigning Nova; bringing in injury waiting to happen in Hudson and a guy that was released by Arizona in Gosselin.  Yep, that is brining in quality in this offseason.  Last year, they didn't do anything in the offseason to offset the losses in the rotation, hence part of the reason this team stunk.  Didn't replace AJB, or Happ ... yep, that John Neise deal looks great - well both of them.  We have worse in Bastardo now since we traded horrid Niese back to the Muts.  So, recap ... who of value came absent Nova and Rivero in the Melancon deal ... forgot, Drew Hutchinson, the stud. 

Stop protecting the FO.  They have made some nice additions, but really, haven't helped this team at all as far as momentum gained from those play-off gains.

I love the Pirates, but I think the ownership stinks and the GM isn't that creative. Forgot ... include two solid prospects to get rid of Liriano and his contract - bring in Hutchinson. That was creative. It's worked out tremendously (0-1, 7.84 ERA in AAA). Awesome.
UtahPirate

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by UtahPirate »

73565555406B565E5C4B390 wrote: I totally disagree about punting. This is still a talented team.

The pitching staff so far has shown flashes of dominance.

Let's see how the next 2-3 months play out before jumping ship.

I sure agree about the pitching staff. Sometimes difficulties like this can really bond a team together too. I don't like it -- and combined with Kang it is super bad news. But I think we have some good leadership guys on this club. Let's give it a couple of months.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3222231402020E610 wrote:

Why doesn't Nova count?  Why doesn't Cervelli count?  Why doesn't Hudson count?  Why doesn't Rivero count? Why doesn't Harrison count?  Why doesn't Freese count?  Those six players aren't helping the current team or aren't true significances? 

Yeah, they signed Latin American players and drafted players to fill up the roster.  What position players did you want them to replace? 

What teams have built on their playoff runs over the last few years:  The Royals?  The Cubs?  Who else? 

I don't need a reality check, Dude.  You hate the Pirates or the ownership so much (yet you post here) that you don't see the positives at all.  Only one team can win the World Series every year.  Only three teams (Phillies are the third) going back to 2008 improved on their Playoff season from the previous season.

Did I not say absent Nova?  Hudson is an injury waiting to happen.  You think he is impact?  I don't.  Cervelli has been here since when?  So, the off season was resigning Nova; bringing in injury waiting to happen in Hudson and a guy that was released by Arizona in Gosselin.  Yep, that is brining in quality in this offseason.  Last year, they didn't do anything in the offseason to offset the losses in the rotation, hence part of the reason this team stunk.  Didn't replace AJB, or Happ ... yep, that John Neise deal looks great - well both of them.  We have worse in Bastardo now since we traded horrid Niese back to the Muts.  So, recap ... who of value came absent Nova and Rivero in the Melancon deal ... forgot, Drew Hutchinson, the stud. 

Stop protecting the FO.  They have made some nice additions, but really, haven't helped this team at all as far as momentum gained from those play-off gains.

I love the Pirates, but I think the ownership stinks and the GM isn't that creative.  Forgot ... include two solid prospects to get rid of Liriano and his contract - bring in Hutchinson.  That was creative.  It's worked out tremendously (0-1, 7.84 ERA in AAA).  Awesome.

Exactly no answer from you. Like always. All those players I mentioned were brought in. All of them.

Why no answer on the teams who made the playoffs and then improved the next year?

Instead you bring up 2016 over and over. That one season and bad off season cancels out everything the front office has done. That's a sad way to look at things in general.