Pitt Basketball

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

JD was leaving Pitt even had the Big East remained.  I would have bet that.  So, The ACC Factor wasn't his primary reason for leaving.

The AD at the time practically nudged him; saying that the buyout waiver was a gift for years of service.  I dont think the AD was a fan (which doesn't mean that I agree.)

The recruiting wasn't what it was during the better years, and the slide began.

Along comes his alma mater waiving wads of cash.  Scram!

In previous years, Pitt paid the ransom.  All of a sudden, they all but told him to take the job.

It's a tough business, and it is a business.

Turned out to be lose-lose.

If you get rid of a Jamie Dixon, the next guy has to be better.  Not the easiest thing to go out and get.

WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

665344444F7644444F4844210 wrote: JD was leaving Pitt even had the Big East remained.  I would have bet that.  So, The ACC Factor wasn't his primary reason for leaving.

The AD at the time practically nudged him; saying that the buyout waiver was a gift for years of service.  I dont think the AD was a fan (which doesn't mean that I agree.)

In previous years, Pitt paid the ransom.  All of a sudden, they all but told him to take the job.

If you get rid of a Jamie Dixon, the next guy has to be better.  Not the easiest thing to go out and get.

ACC is an easy sell- It is when you are a Duke, North Carolina or Virginia. You don't see players leaving those teams ( except for the NBA)
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F3E361F343C5B0 wrote: I don't think JD was that good of a recruiter.  He needed his players to play for the team for more than a year as many players from the ACC now do.
PItt was a 1.5 underdog to Monmouth yesterday. Guess Sports Book knows what it is doing. Monmouth 56- Pitt 52. Pitt goes to 3-7
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

6856535B4850505B7B5E495A0D3F0 wrote: JD was leaving Pitt even had the Big East remained.  I would have bet that.  So, The ACC Factor wasn't his primary reason for leaving.

ACC is an easy sell-  It is when you are a Duke, North Carolina or Virginia. You don't see players leaving those teams ( except for the NBA)

You misunderstood.

I meant that it's easy to sell The ACC being the reason for Dixon bolting. Truth is that he had a number of good reasons to leave.

I dnk the guy, but my gut tells me that the biggest reason was that his AD didn't genuinely support him. When that happens, it's only a matter of time. It didn't sound like a good relationship. One had to go. Dixon left first.

WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

06272F062D25420 wrote: I don't think JD was that good of a recruiter.  He needed his players to play for the team for more than a year as many players from the ACC now do.
Just got finished watching Pitt vs. St. Johns. Panthers were a 14 point underdog going in. ST. Johns was 8-2. Pitt won 59-57. PItt players really played hard. Nice win. Pitt now 4-7
DemDog

Pitt Basketball

Post by DemDog »

1B2520283B232328082D3A297E4C0 wrote: I don't think JD was that good of a recruiter.  He needed his players to play for the team for more than a year as many players from the ACC now do.
Just got finished watching Pitt vs. St. Johns. Panthers were a 14 point underdog going in. ST. Johns was 8-2. Pitt won 59-57. PItt players really played hard. Nice win. Pitt now 4-7

This is one of those games where Pitt took advantage of St. John's not having their star swingman Julian Champaigne in the game due to COVID. He would have made a difference in the result. Anyway, good for the Panthers, they won in the Garden.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1A3B331A31395E0 wrote: I don't think JD was that good of a recruiter.  He needed his players to play for the team for more than a year as many players from the ACC now do.

This is one of those games where Pitt took advantage of St. John's not having their star swingman Julian Champaigne in the game due to COVID.  He would have made a difference in the result.  Anyway, good for the Panthers, they won in the Garden.

The Garden has been good to them over the years
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

122C2921322A2A210124332077450 wrote: I don't think JD was that good of a recruiter.  He needed his players to play for the team for more than a year as many players from the ACC now do.

This is one of those games where Pitt took advantage of St. John's not having their star swingman Julian Champaigne in the game due to COVID.  He would have made a difference in the result.  Anyway, good for the Panthers, they won in the Garden.

It should also be noted that St. John's missed 15 0f 22 foul shots. Believe me, I have been there. Makes a coach want to pull his or HER hair out.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4876737B6870707B5B7E697A2D1F0 wrote: I don't think JD was that good of a recruiter.  He needed his players to play for the team for more than a year as many players from the ACC now do.

It should also be noted that St. John's missed 15 0f 22 foul shots. Believe me, I have been there. Makes a coach want to pull his or HER hair out.
Pitt defeats Jacksonville 64-55 to end this years portion of it's non-conference schedule. Panthers are now 5-7. Next up Notre Dame
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

506E6B63706868634366716235070 wrote: I don't think JD was that good of a recruiter.  He needed his players to play for the team for more than a year as many players from the ACC now do.

Pitt defeats Jacksonville 64-55 to end this years portion of it's non-conference schedule. Panthers are now 5-7. Next up Notre Dame
I missed this one over the holidays. Panthers lost another one point game over holidays. Notre Dame defeated the Panthers 68-67. The Panthers are now 5-8 and will play Louisville on Wed. Jan. 5th