Sunday's game - Taillon scratched

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7C7477405673545B350 wrote: Presumably, we'll have some combination of Cole-Taillon-Nova in St. Louis, then Williams and Kuhl, then Cole and Taillon again.  Our three "aces" pitching five times in a seven game span where we really need to make up some ground.  If it doesn't happen here, it doesn't happen.
That's what you would think. But you would be Hurdled. Per the Trib, Taillon and Nova won't pitch in that series.

Hurdle reset the order of the starting rotation coming out of the All-Star break. Gerrit Cole will start Friday against the St. Louis Cardinals, followed by Chad Kuhl, Trevor Williams, Jameson Taillon and Ivan Nova.

“We wanted to get Cole back out, based on the physical place he's in right now,” Hurdle said. “He needs to be the first guy back.”

Hurdle said his plan was to give each starter two or three days' extra rest.

EXTRA rest. That's what it's all about. One would think the AS break was the extra rest. But Hurdle is too smart for that. We must rest. There must be rest. There can't just be rest. There must be extra rest. Rest, rest, rest. Rest, rest, rest.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1248 ... having-fun

I'm sorry, but this is crazy, and it doesn't even make any sense.  They want to get them extra rest.  Kuhl just pitched today.  Williams was on Friday, Kuhl again on Thursday.  If Taillon starts Monday against Milwaukee, he'll have gone 13 days between starts.  I'm all in favor of rest, especially for starting pitchers, but this just seems silly to me.

I guess on the bright side though, if the rotation goes Cole-Kuhl-Williams, then Taillon-Nova-Cole-Kuhl pitch against the first place Brewers.

Personally, I think I'd go Cole-Taillon-Williams against St. Louis, then Nova-Kuhl-Cole-Taillon against Milwaukee.  Crazy to think that we're chasing the Brewers. 

Again, I don't think this team is going anywhere.  This nice run we're on not withstanding, this team has more flaws than I can count.  But, we're only without Marte for five more games.  I've never been one to overhype an individual series, but I'd say we need to go 5-2 in these seven games.  Anything less than that, I sell.  5-2 gives me hope that we can stay in it.  I want my three "aces" pitching five of those games, whether they pitch two against St. Louis and three against Milwaukee or vice-versa is of no importance to me.  I don't care.  I just want them pitching five times.  This rotation sends them out there four times.  Silly.  And that's not to take anything away from Kuhl or Williams.  They've both pitched remarkably well of late.  But even given all his struggles, if I have to win one game and I'm given the choice of Cole, Kuhl, or Williams, I take Cole every single time without thinking twice about it.

It's like the Pirates are in first place by 10 games and only concern is to make sure team doesn't run out of gas in post season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1F39382F39295A0 wrote: Presumably, we'll have some combination of Cole-Taillon-Nova in St. Louis, then Williams and Kuhl, then Cole and Taillon again.  Our three "aces" pitching five times in a seven game span where we really need to make up some ground.  If it doesn't happen here, it doesn't happen.
That's what you would think. But you would be Hurdled. Per the Trib, Taillon and Nova won't pitch in that series.

Hurdle reset the order of the starting rotation coming out of the All-Star break. Gerrit Cole will start Friday against the St. Louis Cardinals, followed by Chad Kuhl, Trevor Williams, Jameson Taillon and Ivan Nova.

“We wanted to get Cole back out, based on the physical place he's in right now,” Hurdle said. “He needs to be the first guy back.”

Hurdle said his plan was to give each starter two or three days' extra rest.

EXTRA rest. That's what it's all about. One would think the AS break was the extra rest. But Hurdle is too smart for that. We must rest. There must be rest. There can't just be rest. There must be extra rest. Rest, rest, rest. Rest, rest, rest.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1248 ... having-fun

I'm sorry, but this is crazy, and it doesn't even make any sense.  They want to get them extra rest.  Kuhl just pitched today.  Williams was on Friday, Kuhl again on Thursday.  If Taillon starts Monday against Milwaukee, he'll have gone 13 days between starts.  I'm all in favor of rest, especially for starting pitchers, but this just seems silly to me.

I guess on the bright side though, if the rotation goes Cole-Kuhl-Williams, then Taillon-Nova-Cole-Kuhl pitch against the first place Brewers.

Personally, I think I'd go Cole-Taillon-Williams against St. Louis, then Nova-Kuhl-Cole-Taillon against Milwaukee.  Crazy to think that we're chasing the Brewers. 

Again, I don't think this team is going anywhere.  This nice run we're on not withstanding, this team has more flaws than I can count.  But, we're only without Marte for five more games.  I've never been one to overhype an individual series, but I'd say we need to go 5-2 in these seven games.  Anything less than that, I sell.  5-2 gives me hope that we can stay in it.  I want my three "aces" pitching five of those games, whether they pitch two against St. Louis and three against Milwaukee or vice-versa is of no importance to me.  I don't care.  I just want them pitching five times.  This rotation sends them out there four times.  Silly.  And that's not to take anything away from Kuhl or Williams.  They've both pitched remarkably well of late.  But even given all his struggles, if I have to win one game and I'm given the choice of Cole, Kuhl, or Williams, I take Cole every single time without thinking twice about it.

It's like the Pirates are in first place by 10 games and only concern is to make sure team doesn't run out of gas in post season.
They're going to be well-rested for when they need to get up from the couch to get something from the fridge during the post season. I began the season felling like Hurdle was not good for the Pirates because they need more than an average, formula-driven manager. But now I believer his ideas border on bizarre and he would be a detriment to any team. I don't know what happened to him. But he never seems to see the obvious. I'm sure he wants to win but he manages as if it doesn't matter.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why is this so crazy?

The three top pitchers are going against the first place Brewers. Taillon just missed a start due to flu like symptoms. Has Nova been skipped yet this season?

It just sounds like words "need rest" when the real situation is setting up the three best pitchers to face the first place team. Hurdle wouldn't come out and say that and knock the others guys. I think this is a good move after some thought. It shows they are going after the Brewers.

Do they still do their side work on the break?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: Why is this so crazy?

The three top pitchers are going against the first place Brewers.  Taillon just missed a start due to flu like symptoms.  Has Nova been skipped yet this season?

It just sounds like words "need rest" when the real situation is setting up the three best pitchers to face the first place team.  Hurdle wouldn't come out and say that and knock the others guys.  I think this is a good move after some thought.  It shows they are going after the Brewers. 

Do they still do their side work on the break?

The proposal I suggested does the same thing, plus gets Taillon a start against St. Louis.

Cole, Taillon, Kuhl against St. Louis

Nova, Williams, Cole, Taillon against Milwaukee

no idea how severe Taillon's flu is though, or how his other medical issues complicate the matter.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would guess Taillon's immune system is down a bit if he's being treated for cancer, so the team will like go easy with him.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Food Poisoning:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1707100118

Jameson Taillon

@JTaillon19

Betrayed by the ole faithful Ancient Grains Bowl from True Foods Kitchen. More like #FalseFoods ??#TruePoo

12:16 PM - 10 Jul 2017