Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Having a lights out bullpen reduces the ask on the starting rotation. Plus, having these multi inning guys that can shut the door late in the game have a huge impact on wins and losses. Did anyone help the Indians make the world series more than Miller last year? ie, outside of a Chris Sale type return, trading Rivero does not help.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Yankees traded both Miller and Chapman. Would you rather have them or the eight players they got in return? (I know Chapman was a free agent)

I do like swapping relievers for bigger pieces, but now is not the time to trade Rivero. The Pirates can keep him for a while.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know, Clint Frazier's looking pretty dang good.
UtahPirate

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by UtahPirate »

First, I think if we make trades, they should be with the intention of reloading with a mind towards next year. Based on that opinion, I think these are our building blocks (young, inexpensive and controllable -- and talented):

Bell

Taillon

Marte

Polanco

Frazier

Kuhl

Glasnow

Brault

Diaz

Rivero

If we are reloading I don't think you move Nova or Mercer. Both are steady veterans that we need (Newman and Tucker are moving up, but not ready at SS).

From what I've read there are a ton of relievers being dangled as deadline pieces. I still think we'll move:

Watson

Nicasio (maybe)

But the result is probably A+ level players who are a long way away.

In this order I think you'll see potential trades:

Freese

Jaso

Harrison

Stewart

Cervelli (I have to say I think the Brass loves Cervelli and I would be very surprised if he was moved)

Except for Harrison, there's not a ton of value here. Freese has been scouted by Boston the past few games. And I think Jaso would actually have some value to the right team as a left-handed bench piece. But again, A+ players who don't do much for next year.

The starting pitching market is huge right now. All of the speculation comes down to Speedloader's "Blow us away list":

Cole

McCutchen

If we make a significant move, I think it will be Cole. That's where the market is. And I don't think we'll see him at a higher value than right now. Quintana helped set the market -- and because he's gone, it's going up. We'll get significant pieces for Cole right now.

Here's what I think will happen ... not much. NH just doesn't do the big deals. We'll keep Cole for next year. Look for Watson, Freese and Jason putting on new uniforms. And Williams might actually bring something since the SP market is so strong. Maybe we'll get a fairly young AAA reliever or two.

It's just the way we operate. I don't see that changing despite how much fun we have speculating.

dmetz

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dmetz »

- We need to be looking to buy a rental OFer. preferably with some positional flexibility. 

- a GOOD 3rd baseman with control through 2018  Or a GOOD 2nd baseman with the same.

(Those two, in addition to the normal bottom of the barrel scrubbing we do to try to find lighting in a bottle)

Who is available trade or even 2018 FA with respect to the 3b man?

I believe strongly that you CANNOT trade Cole and open up a gaping hole in the 2018 rotation if you are serious about competing.  It would be easier to compete in 2018 without Cutch than it would be Cole.   Particularly since you can turn cutch for starting pitching, but you'll need a 3 team trade to turn Cole (a starting pitcher) for starting pitching, as the needs don't makes sense. 

Since the team apparently has decided they want to play some real baseball here in July, lets buy what is obviously needed and go for the throat
IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

I agree that we do need an outfielder. I mean, knock on wood, but we're six outs from being three games out. As I've said all year, I don't really think any of the Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, or Cards deserve to be in the playoffs, but the rules say that one of them will be. Should it be us, we can't, absolutely can't, go into a playoff series with John Jaso and Adam Frazier toiling around in left field. They did an admirable job, but we need a real outfielder, should the need arise.

Fortunately, we should be set in the outfield until a potential playoff series. This is why I think this sets up perfectly for a waiver trade in late August. Let's say we're two or three games out on August 28 or so. There's got to be some outfielder out there with an albatross contract, and low and behold, we "saved" money on Marte sitting out half the year, and Kang sitting out the entire year. In theory we should be able to afford such a contract.

I don't think we deal for an outfielder until mid-August, at the earliest.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

00080B3C2A0F2827490 wrote: I agree that we do need an outfielder.  I mean, knock on wood, but we're six outs from being three games out.  As I've said all year, I don't really think any of the Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, or Cards deserve to be in the playoffs, but the rules say that one of them will be.  Should it be us, we can't, absolutely can't, go into a playoff series with John Jaso and Adam Frazier toiling around in left field.  They did an admirable job, but we need a real outfielder, should the need arise. 

Fortunately, we should be set in the outfield until a potential playoff series.  This is why I think this sets up perfectly for a waiver trade in late August.  Let's say we're two or three games out on August 28 or so.  There's got to be some outfielder out there with an albatross contract, and low and behold, we "saved" money on Marte sitting out half the year, and Kang sitting out the entire year.  In theory we should be able to afford such a contract.

Curtis Granderson? He's probably done after this year.
IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

0E3C30302416353C31343B3C5D0 wrote: I agree that we do need an outfielder.  I mean, knock on wood, but we're six outs from being three games out.  As I've said all year, I don't really think any of the Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, or Cards deserve to be in the playoffs, but the rules say that one of them will be.  Should it be us, we can't, absolutely can't, go into a playoff series with John Jaso and Adam Frazier toiling around in left field.  They did an admirable job, but we need a real outfielder, should the need arise. 

Fortunately, we should be set in the outfield until a potential playoff series.  This is why I think this sets up perfectly for a waiver trade in late August.  Let's say we're two or three games out on August 28 or so.  There's got to be some outfielder out there with an albatross contract, and low and behold, we "saved" money on Marte sitting out half the year, and Kang sitting out the entire year.  In theory we should be able to afford such a contract.

Curtis Granderson?  He's probably done after this year. 

I could certainly live with that. We could do a lot worse. Playoff experience. Good ball player.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Not that it's a reason to trade for him, but it's easy to be a fan of him as a person too.
IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

And somewhere Neal Huntington is staring at a computer screen, mumbling to himself, "What in the world am I going to do now???"

;D ;D ;D