Positive Thought

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Positive Thought

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

2B2C3A323C2B6C60193E34383035773A3634590 wrote: Maybe this belongs here:

This date in 2012 is when Mark Appel wouldn't sign with the Pirates.  The Pirates offered $3.7 or $3.8 million and he said no.  His "people" claimed it wasn't the money and other decisions were involved.

Appel is 25 years old, struggling in the Philllies organization (Triple A). 

Kind of a positive thought, right? 

(Meadows was the replacement pick in 2013)

No, I see no positive news in this.  Our guy is also in AAA, sitting with injuries. And all we did was shuffle the deck with Appel with a certain catcher drafted #14 and already out of the orginazation.  Just to add to the positives we also moved our #2, Blake Taylor, in 2014 in the Ike Davis deal, who the Pirates DFA at the end of the year 2014 season. 

That would be a good $6.5M or so. 

While it maybe laughable, I have no positive thoughts about this....

Meadows is very close to the majors. Yeah, his injury hurt him. He was due up this year. He is three (three) years younger than Appel. He is further along in his career. You wouldn't make that swap again today?

Not sure what Blake Taylor has to do with Appel/Meadows, but that was a fine trade for the Pirates to acquire Ike Davis. He certainly helped the 2014 Pirates with his platooning at 1B.

It's positive that the Pirates have Meadows instead of Appel. Appel is looking like a big bust.
rucker59@gmail.com

Positive Thought

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: Maybe this belongs here:

This date in 2012 is when Mark Appel wouldn't sign with the Pirates.  The Pirates offered $3.7 or $3.8 million and he said no.  His "people" claimed it wasn't the money and other decisions were involved.

No, I see no positive news in this.  Our guy is also in AAA, sitting with injuries. And all we did was shuffle the deck with Appel with a certain catcher drafted #14 and already out of the orginazation.  Just to add to the positives we also moved our #2, Blake Taylor, in 2014 in the Ike Davis deal, who the Pirates DFA at the end of the year 2014 season. 

Meadows is very close to the majors. Yeah, his injury hurt him. He was due up this year. He is three (three) years younger than Appel. He is further along in his career. You wouldn't make that swap again today?

Not sure what Blake Taylor has to do with Appel/Meadows, but that was a fine trade for the Pirates to acquire Ike Davis.  He certainly helped the 2014 Pirates with his platooning at 1B.

It's positive that the Pirates have Meadows instead of Appel. Appel is looking like a big bust.

Appel is a huge bust, and his arrogance makes it all the more poignant. I glad we avoided Appel, but it's not like we've turned that opportunity of the 2013 draft into reality. I've been very positive on Meadows, but I'm beginning to worry about his injuries.

I'm no longer counting on prospects - until a prospect makes a mark in Pittsburgh he might as well be named Mark Appel. So far the top of the 2013 draft is no different than Appel. I'm very hopeful in Meadows. But at one time I was hopeful for McGuire and Taylor. Until Meadows is playing at a high level in Pittsburgh we just have another prospect.

I guess I'm tired of waiting and counting on prospects.....
mouse

Positive Thought

Post by mouse »

The most positive thought of all is that it's Friday, which I thought might never come, and baseball is about to start up again.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Positive Thought

202731393720676B12353F333B3E7C313D3F520 wrote: Maybe this belongs here:

Not sure what Blake Taylor has to do with Appel/Meadows, but that was a fine trade for the Pirates to acquire Ike Davis.  He certainly helped the 2014 Pirates with his platooning at 1B.

Appel is a huge bust, and his arrogance makes it  all the more poignant. I glad we avoided Appel, but it's not like we've turned that opportunity of the 2013 draft into reality.  I've been very positive on Meadows, but I'm beginning to worry about his injuries.

I'm no longer counting on prospects - until a prospect makes a mark in Pittsburgh he might as well be named Mark Appel.  So far the top of the 2013 draft is no different than Appel.  I'm very hopeful in Meadows. But at one time I was hopeful for McGuire and Taylor.  Until Meadows is playing at a high level in Pittsburgh we just have another prospect. 

You do know that Marte, Polanco, McCutchen, Walker, Alvarez, Harrison, Mercer, Cole, Taillon, Watson, and Bell were all prospects too, right? You waited for all of these guys and they all have made impacts.

Taylor and McGuire have nothing to do with Appel not signing (Taylor actually did help the Pirates as he was involved in a decent trade).

Meadows is a huge prospect. He is recognized nationally too, its not just local hype. Of course we don't know yet, but he has to have more promise than Appel in your mind.
rucker59@gmail.com

Positive Thought

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5C5E444254310 wrote: The most positive thought of all is that it's Friday, which I thought might never come, and baseball is about to start up again.

Well, as is probably apparent, I'm not particularly positive right now especially after the Quintara deal, but I'm very positive about this post!

Looking forward to the Bucco's go on a hot streak, go 6-1 on this home stand and be at .500 and 4 games back this time next week.

It could happen!
OrlandoMerced

Positive Thought

Post by OrlandoMerced »

With some additional time to sit on the implications of this Cubs' deal, I think the Pirates should look to deal Cole. This trade might prompt the Nationals and Dodgers to move valuable pieces at the deadline.

I would hold McCutchen unless completely blown away, but the Pirates could easily acquire a rotation piece for 2018 and a top prospect for Cole, and with Taillon and Nova, Cole has been the third best starter on the team, meaning his performance is replaceable in it's current form.
UtahPirate

Positive Thought

Post by UtahPirate »

In this thread a lot of people have debated who is more valuable, Cole or Quintana. A point that should be remembered is that with Quintana off the market, there may be very few starters available now that are more valuable than Cole -- which actually bumps up Cole's value. The teams that might want him, particularly the Yankees who first drafted him out of HS, will pay and have the prospects to do so. At this point you could plug in Brault for the second half in Cole's spot. That puts pressure on a lot of young pitchers to hang in a pennant race (but we aren't trading for a frontline guy anyway), and if we don't win the pennant, it's great experience for Brault, Williams and Kuhl to pitch in that environment and further develops them for next year.

Yankees give up Torres (SS #2 MLB list), Frazier (LHP #66 MLB list) and a couple of younger guys.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Positive Thought

Can injured minor leaguers be traded?
OrlandoMerced

Positive Thought

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I see the Dodgers and Nats as better trade partners, I'm not sure I'd want that package of Frazier and Gleyber for Cole. The Dodgers and Nats could bother offer a stud prospect and a guy that could pitch in the rotation now.
notes34

Positive Thought

Post by notes34 »

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: Maybe this belongs here:

Appel is a huge bust, and his arrogance makes it  all the more poignant. I glad we avoided Appel, but it's not like we've turned that opportunity of the 2013 draft into reality.  I've been very positive on Meadows, but I'm beginning to worry about his injuries.

I'm no longer counting on prospects - until a prospect makes a mark in Pittsburgh he might as well be named Mark Appel.  So far the top of the 2013 draft is no different than Appel.  I'm very hopeful in Meadows. But at one time I was hopeful for McGuire and Taylor.  Until Meadows is playing at a high level in Pittsburgh we just have another prospect. 

You do know that Marte, Polanco, McCutchen, Walker, Alvarez, Harrison, Mercer, Cole, Taillon, Watson, and Bell were all prospects too, right?  You waited for all of these guys and they all have made impacts.

Taylor and McGuire have nothing to do with Appel not signing (Taylor actually did help the Pirates as he was involved in a decent trade). 

Meadows is a huge prospect.  He is recognized nationally too, its not just local hype.  Of course we don't know yet, but he has to have more promise than Appel in your mind.

Well Keith Law doesn't agree with you. He took Meadows off his top 50 prospects list that he just released. He had previously been #8. I don't really agree with Law a lot of the time but he stated that the injury concerns are very real.