Wednesday ... More Pain Suffering on the way

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3D3A2C242A3D7A760F28222E2623612C20224F0 wrote: So we are arguing that Jason Rodgers was a established MLB player now?

That's what the fans want eh?  The trading of prospects for established hitters like Rodgers?

Exactly. I'm so tired of these Alice in Wonderland, nothing is as it seems, arguments that I no longer believe they're genuine.

I'm now convinced Bob Nutting is a regular poster on OBN. 

Who is saying Rogers was an established MLB player?

Rogers was traded for to help the current team in 2016. Broxton was used to acquire him because the Pirates felt he couldn't help the 2016 team.

A player of the future was traded for a player now. That is what happened. Rogers was depth after he got a cup of coffee in the majors.

When the Pirates make this kind of move and it fails, people complain. They didn't complain in December 2015. They complained in 2017.

So, how can you complain about hoarding prospects and not making a move and also complain about trading a prospect that pans out down the road for another team? You can't have it both ways. It just looks like it is just bashing the front office for the sake of bashing the front office.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

59525A565352490C0A7D445C555252135E523D0 wrote: So we are arguing that Jason Rodgers was a established MLB player now?

That's what the fans want eh?  The trading of prospects for established hitters like Rodgers?

Exactly. I'm so tired of these Alice in Wonderland, nothing is as it seems, arguments that I no longer believe they're genuine.

Rogers was traded for to help the current team in 2016.  Broxton was used to acquire him because the Pirates felt he couldn't help the 2016 team. 

A player of the future was traded for a player now.  That is what happened.  Rogers was depth after he got a cup of coffee in the majors. 

When the Pirates make this kind of move and it fails, people complain.  They didn't complain in December 2015.  They complained in 2017. 

So, how can you complain about hoarding prospects and not making a move and also complain about trading a prospect that pans out down the road for another team?   You can't have it both ways.  It just looks like it is just bashing the front office for the sake of bashing the front office. 

Not to put words into anyone's mouth but from my perspective the front office deserves bashing based upon the results of 2016 and 2017. In my job, my performance is evaluated on what I've done the past year. It is not bashing the front office just to bash the front office, it is to bash the front office because it has made many mistakes and misjudgments. Which leads me to question whether the front office should continue to be in charge to lead the team to a talent level where it can be a serious World Series contender.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4479676A656F64466E79686E6F0B0 wrote: Broxton is a bum, he has a .303 OBP and strikes out a ton.  he's not going to stick in the majors very long.  Broxton was a throw in on that deal, the miss was on Rogers as they thought he was a guy that could at least play in the majors until Bell was ready.  Supak looks like a guy that could make the majors in some capacity and was probably the more valuable piece of that trade.

I basically agree.  He's unlikely to stick.  The part is disagree with is that Rogers was going to bridge to bell.  They gave up on that plan almost immediately.

I don't care about that trade much.  I know you didn't claim that it was but my 2 cents is pointing out what I think is an absurdity of that being an example of the kind of trade fans want.

Of prospects for MLB players.   Trading fringy prospects for "depth" isn't the point.Trading prospects for real Bonafide major Leaguers is.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Letting Broxton go seems only natural. He was blocked at the time by very promising Polanco and Marte and a still very good Cutch at the time of the trade. He would be nothing more than a 4th OF on the Bucs today (and we could really use one!)

Rogers had a fairly good year for the Brewskis as a guy off the bench who could fill in at 3B and 1B and PH. Nothing really earth shattering. He got his cup of Joe in the Burgh and failed miserably.

Agree that the Buccos were beat on this deal but given the circumstances not knowing what we know now I think the deal would still be made.

You know hindsight is much, much, much better than foresight.

But there is no excuse for the Buccos not going out and finding someone who can at least play OF and hit just a bit while Polanco is on the DL. Even a soon to be FA who would never comeback to the Burgh might have been possible without too much cost.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

262D25292C2D367375023B232A2D2D6C212D420 wrote: So we are arguing that Jason Rodgers was a established MLB player now?

Rogers was traded for to help the current team in 2016.  Broxton was used to acquire him because the Pirates felt he couldn't help the 2016 team. 

A player of the future was traded for a player now.  That is what happened.  Rogers was depth after he got a cup of coffee in the majors. 

When the Pirates make this kind of move and it fails, people complain.  They didn't complain in December 2015.  They complained in 2017. 

So, how can you complain about hoarding prospects and not making a move and also complain about trading a prospect that pans out down the road for another team?   You can't have it both ways.  It just looks like it is just bashing the front office for the sake of bashing the front office. 

Can't have WHAT both ways?   Trading fringy prospects for fringy depth isn't anywhere close to what people are complaining about.  That's an example of an insignificant move to save having to pay o real hitter in FA or make a REAL trade for a real player

How can you be lecturing people about having things both ways?

We can't buy what we need in FA. And we won't make bold trade moves to improve. For NH to be a great GM he has to make bold, gutsy moves and be successful with them to compensate for our cheapness

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

505951404E340 wrote: So we are arguing that Jason Rodgers was a established MLB player now?

Can't have WHAT both ways?   

Trading a prospect and then complaining they turned out good for the team whom they been traded.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

072A27363120377774450 wrote: So we are arguing that Jason Rodgers was a established MLB player now?

No, Rogers [no D] was not established. He did well as a part time players for Milw in 2015. But there was no role for him on the 2016 Bucs with starters and reserves already in place at his positions. He seemed to be AAA depth. Not the type you give up much to get, so it appears they didn't think they were giving up much in Broxton.

Bobster, when the Bucs acquired Rogers they needed depth at 3B. Freese was not yet signed, and his $-friendly acquisition would have been tough to predict. Who knew that Jung Ho Gang would be as good as he was?

This trade looks bad in the rear view mirror but I will readily admit that I liked it at the time. Rogers was a thorn in our side when we played the Brewers, and only became truly expendable when Freese was signed.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I understand the Pirates just spent money to buy a box of air freshener for their Dominican academy. It certainly proves the Pirates are still investing in the Dominican.

I think I'm going to like living in this alternate universe. All I have to do is to find an alternative to actually winning. I think it might be in the interesting game of "Make Something Out of Nothing". In which case the Pirates will certainly give me a lot to work with.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

597378487F6969650A0 wrote: So we are arguing that Jason Rodgers was a established MLB player now?

No, Rogers [no D] was not established. He did well as a part time players for Milw in 2015. But there was no role for him on the 2016 Bucs with starters and reserves already in place at his positions. He seemed to be AAA depth. Not the type you give up much to get, so it appears they didn't think they were giving up much in Broxton.

Bobster, when the Bucs acquired Rogers they needed depth at 3B. Freese was not yet signed, and his $-friendly acquisition would have been tough to predict. Who knew that Jung Ho Gang would be as good as he was?

This trade looks bad in the rear view mirror but I will readily admit that I liked it at the time. Rogers was a thorn in our side when we played the Brewers, and only became truly expendable when Freese was signed.

Yes, you're right. I didn't realize Freese had not been signed. Nevertheless, it appears they had no faith in Rogers to back up Kang or they wouldn't have signed Freese. I still recall the trade as being rather inconsequential with Rogers being iffy for making the team. I'm not sold on Broxton either due to his low average and K tendency. But he seems like an adequate 4th OFer.