Twinkies@Bucs Home opener Game Thread 4/2...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

6F67645345604748260 wrote: I am as critical with this management team as anybody is with this team believe me but all the negativity with this team still even when they are 4-0 right now is just ridiculous. It still seems like for every positive in these  first four games everybody finds two or three negatives to counter it right back. Not really speaking about anybody on here too much but just people I know on social media and just listening to talk shows. I will continue to be critical of this management team moving forward but for the time being for crying out loud let’s try to enjoy the fact that the Pirates are in 1st place and one of two teams in baseball left that have yet to lose a game.
I think most of us have expressed our dissatisfaction with the organization and predicted a poor season. But that doesn't mean we have to search thru every win for a reason to validate our negative prognosis. I would love to be proven wrong as I think all of us would. I suspect there will be enough losing to validate all of us nay sayers. So let's not miss the chance to smile and enjoy the wins when we get them. And if somehow they put together a good season, then we'll really have an unexpected pleasant surprise.

4 games doesn't give a good idea of the team, good or bad. Especially playing in such cold weather. But the starting pitching has been adequate to good. The bullpen has been poor and the walks are way too numerous. But let's see how they pitch when the baseball feels normal in their hands instead of pitching in 30 degree temps. And the offense with 27 runs in 3rd in the NL after 4 games.

By contrast, the Giants after 4 games have scored 2, yes 2, runs. Both on solo game-winning HRs by Joe Panik. Amazingly, they are 2-2 with a pair of 1-0 wins while losing 2 shutouts. Cutch and Longoria have combined to go 1 for 31 (Cutch's double) without even a walk. So let's enjoy the fun the Bucs have provided in these early games and hope for more of the same.

I certainly want Cutch to succeed. But, I did see that he is off to another slow start. (Insanely SSS I realize.) But, the debate surrounding his trade comes down to one thing...do you value the name on the front of the jersey more or the name on the back? Because 2016-present Andrew McCutchen simply isn't the same player as 2013-2015 Andrew McCutchen. That guy was putting up video game, Hall of Fame worthy numbers. That guy is gone.
Sure but he wasn't getting paid like a superstar either, and even with his decline was still leading the team in most offensive categories. His .279/.363/.486 slash line from last year would still look pretty good in this lineup.

I don't disagree. But, is it that far-fetched to think that Dickerson could duplicate that? I don't think it is, personally.

And, I realize, that's kind of beside the point, as Dickerson kind of fell into their laps. It's not like they traded #22, knowing they were going to go out and acquire Dickerson. So, I'm not excusing the FO by any stretch of the imagination. Rather, I'm suggesting that the lineup (as it's currently structured and not how the FO envisioned it before being gifted Dickerson) may be on par with where it was when Cutch was being pencilled in every day.

Dickerson will strike out more and walk less than Cutch, so I doubt he ever reaches a 360 OBP, but he could reach or surpass that slugging percentage. I think between Dickerson and Moran, we will not miss Cutch's bat much.

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: I am as critical with this management team as anybody is with this team believe me but all the negativity with this team still even when they are 4-0 right now is just ridiculous. It still seems like for every positive in these  first four games everybody finds two or three negatives to counter it right back. Not really speaking about anybody on here too much but just people I know on social media and just listening to talk shows. I will continue to be critical of this management team moving forward but for the time being for crying out loud let’s try to enjoy the fact that the Pirates are in 1st place and one of two teams in baseball left that have yet to lose a game.
I think most of us have expressed our dissatisfaction with the organization and predicted a poor season. But that doesn't mean we have to search thru every win for a reason to validate our negative prognosis. I would love to be proven wrong as I think all of us would. I suspect there will be enough losing to validate all of us nay sayers. So let's not miss the chance to smile and enjoy the wins when we get them. And if somehow they put together a good season, then we'll really have an unexpected pleasant surprise.

4 games doesn't give a good idea of the team, good or bad. Especially playing in such cold weather. But the starting pitching has been adequate to good. The bullpen has been poor and the walks are way too numerous. But let's see how they pitch when the baseball feels normal in their hands instead of pitching in 30 degree temps. And the offense with 27 runs in 3rd in the NL after 4 games.

By contrast, the Giants after 4 games have scored 2, yes 2, runs. Both on solo game-winning HRs by Joe Panik. Amazingly, they are 2-2 with a pair of 1-0 wins while losing 2 shutouts. Cutch and Longoria have combined to go 1 for 31 (Cutch's double) without even a walk. So let's enjoy the fun the Bucs have provided in these early games and hope for more of the same.

Fun note: Panik scored the Giants third run of the year this afternoon by hitting his third solo home run. His teammates finally contributed runs later In the game.