Harrison out for six weeks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: 1) loss of Harrison is a big deal in my mind. 

-It seems Clint was being very effective in using his bench and that will change.

-The biggest loss is josh’s leadership.

-Im ok giving Frazier an extended look at 2nd, but no way he’s equal replacement.

2) Brault - weak link in rotation. zack Duke part II.  This is where the FO drives me nuts: Neal is apparently pretty close to proving a lot of people wrong.  Once again, I really like this team. Why repeat the same mistakes of the past?  If Neal truly liked this team at the beginning of the season, why not add one strong presence in the rotation?  Why should they ALWAYS flirt around one or two guys short?  Push Williams and Kuhl to ##4&5, adding a legit #3 (or better in my dreams) and quit playing around with that last possible dollar of payroll. 

One more pitcher.  That’s all.  But instead it’s  déjà vu all over again.

Second base is probably where the team has the most depth.  Frazier, Rodriguez, and now Moroff are all on the team.  Two top prospects in Indy are middle infielders in Newman and Kramer.  Tucker is in Altoona.  Harrison is the best of the group, but there is depth.

They used Brault the way people wanted them to use young pitchers.  He was very good as a starter last year in Indy.  Did he win Pitcher of the Year (I forget)?  He pitched briefly out the bullpen last year.  He was the next man up if there was an injury this year.  There was an injury.  In three starts, he has won two games.  I am not a huge Brault fan, but he deserved his shot for sure.   

The Pirates are still rebuilding.  They have a lot of young pitchers with no experience or not much experience. They have to figure out if some of these guys can stick around in the majors.  If they don't have any winners, then they can go out and get some arms.  Brault and Glasnow might fail, but way too early in their careers to say they have already failed.   

It’s not that I don’t think Brault or Kuhl aren’t serviable, I like the young pitchers. I’m simply not in favor of starting the year with basically one experienced arm (and I’ve been pleasently surprised with Nova) with ##2-7 or whatever all being somewhat unknown.

It just seems appropriate to build the rotation.

On the other hand, I do see advantage in finding out what they have in some of these young guys. But I’m thinking “this year”.

I do agree that the weather is handicapping everyone.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

24253E2F39797E4A0 wrote: I'm not ready to give up on any of the starters yet. To me, this is an interesting season to see how they do. Taillon and Williams have been very good. Nova's doing well too. Kuhl has been problematic and Brault inconsistent. But Kuhl showed last year he can do better. It's gotta be tough pitching in cold weather and even snow. Let's see how they all do when the weather improves.

I agree with this. I think three starts is too quick to pull the plug, especially given these conditions.

I actually like Kuhl. I would give him some more time for sure. Back on topic. Get Moroff on the field and use Frazier as the 4th OF.

Hear Hear! Lets see if he can hold his walk and HR rates vs ML pitching.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

So far this season Justin Turner, Eugenio Suarez, Harrison, and tonight Freddie Freeman, have suffered broken bones in the hand or wrist from pitched balls. Like JHay, Freeman missed a big chunk of 2017 from a similar injury.

It is easy to see these type injuries becoming an epidemic. With the emphasis on pitching inside, throwing in on the hands, and increased use of the two-seamer, risk awaits. On the other hand, batters crowd the plate, dive into pitches, and rarely seem to turn their shoulders into pitches like before.

It's tough to watch these big names get injured, but I suspect there will be more to come.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

66614D5A4C2F0 wrote: So far this season Justin Turner, Eugenio Suarez, Harrison, and tonight Freddie Freeman, have suffered broken bones in the hand or wrist from pitched balls.  Like JHay, Freeman missed a big chunk of 2017 from a similar injury.

It is easy to see these type injuries becoming an epidemic.   With the emphasis on pitching inside, throwing in on the hands, and increased use of the two-seamer, risk awaits.  On the other hand, batters crowd the plate, dive into pitches, and rarely seem to turn their shoulders into pitches like before.   

It's tough to watch these big names get injured, but I suspect there will be more to come.
And pitchers are routinely throwing harder than in past years. Low 90s is now a soft tosser.