4/29 game thread. Kingham vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea Bell definitely needs to get it going. He only had 1 HR so far through almost 30 games. You gotta get more power out of his spot which I think they will in due time. Bell is too good of a hitter I think to keep hitting for no power and low average. Polanco had a little better weekend so hopefully he can pick it up as well. I agree with Brault being moved to the bullpen now with how Kingham pitched yesterday. I still think that Glasnow could be a factor in this rotation if he can keep getting better which I think has a chance to happen. A starting 5 this season at some point of a Taillon, Nova, Williams, Glasnow, and Kingham immediately makes the Pirates a true contender to compete the entire season for this division.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

646F676B6E6F743137407961686F6F2E636F000 wrote: I didn't think Brault hurt the team in his five starts.  He looked ok at times, but he kept the Pirates in the game.  He left the game with the lead twice and once they were tied.  The Pirates did come back and win one of his starts after he was lifted.  The team went 2-3 with the bullpen getting the loss in two of those games.

It is time for Kingham to get a few starts.    He hasn’t been terrible  but he hasn’t been good enough either in 3 of his 5 starts. I don’t think he gave the Pirates a chance to win much in the games he pitched in Chicago and at home against the Rockies and Cardinals. The way Kingham pitched against the Cards compared to how Brault has pitched through 5 games it makes sense at this point to make a change in the rotation while you are still well over .500 and near first place.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5C575F5356574C090F784159505757165B57380 wrote: I didn't think Brault hurt the team in his five starts.  He looked ok at times, but he kept the Pirates in the game.  He left the game with the lead twice and once they were tied.  The Pirates did come back and win one of his starts after he was lifted.  The team went 2-3 with the bullpen getting the loss in two of those games.

It is time for Kingham to get a few starts.   

Maybe not the results but the innings pitched probably has hurt the team (though that's probably harder to quantify). I have the same complaint about Kuhl but he's been going in a better direction as of late.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6E5C50504476555C51545B5C3D0 wrote: I didn't think Brault hurt the team in his five starts.  He looked ok at times, but he kept the Pirates in the game.  He left the game with the lead twice and once they were tied.  The Pirates did come back and win one of his starts after he was lifted.  The team went 2-3 with the bullpen getting the loss in two of those games.

Maybe not the results but the innings pitched probably has hurt the team (though that's probably harder to quantify).  I have the same complaint about Kuhl but he's been going in a better direction as of late. 

Yeah, I agree about Kuhl too. He hasn't been great but the Pirates are 3-2 in his starts (he is 3-1) and the team lost a game where he pitched very well. The Pirates should just score a lot of runs!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: I didn't think Brault hurt the team in his five starts.  He looked ok at times, but he kept the Pirates in the game.  He left the game with the lead twice and once they were tied.  The Pirates did come back and win one of his starts after he was lifted.  The team went 2-3 with the bullpen getting the loss in two of those games.

Maybe not the results but the innings pitched probably has hurt the team (though that's probably harder to quantify).  I have the same complaint about Kuhl but he's been going in a better direction as of late. 

Yeah, I agree about Kuhl too.  He hasn't been great but the Pirates are 3-2 in his starts (he is 3-1) and the team lost a game where he pitched very well.  The Pirates should just score a lot of runs!

I approve of this strategy
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I guess what I mean by depth is this:

Taillon

Nova

Williams

Kuhl

Kingham

Brault

Musgrove

Glasnow (but he needs to keep showing a bit more)

That’s eight guys that I believe can look competent on an MLB mound. Yes, little star power, but plenty of options.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I know the plan was for Musgrove to start despite his poor performance last year as a starter. But considering that there's also a shoulder problem and he's basically skipped spring training, and he was solid in the pen last year, and Kingham deserves a chance, I suspect he's going to the pen when healthy enough.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: I know the plan was for Musgrove to start despite his poor performance last year as a starter. But considering that there's also a shoulder problem and he's basically skipped spring training, and he was solid in the pen last year, and Kingham deserves a chance, I suspect he's going to the pen when healthy enough.

Yeah, I don't really know what to expect from him or if he's even any good.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates as I mentioned before are now 8-2 against the division so far this season. This is an area they have really struggled in the last few years. So if the Pirates can continue to play well within the division and just win series every now and then they will stay in this race for the foreseeable future.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5B7C6D696C714E7A6D6C6C71080 wrote: The Pirates as I mentioned before are now 8-2 against the division so far this season. This is an area they have really struggled in the last few years. So if the Pirates can continue to play well within the division and just win series every now and then they will stay in this race for the foreseeable future.

The Cubs are 9-4 with 7 of those wins being against the Brewers.

The Cardinals are 11-7 while beating the Reds all seven times.

The Brewers are 6-11 against the division.

So far, the Brewers have a losing record against every team who is .500 or better. I didn't take the time to look up the Reds.