5/16 afternoon game thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6E4A5E56533F0 wrote: So the big issue to start the year was the bullpen, I remember at the time that I was more more concerned about position players continuing to perform. If there is one thing that the management braintrust has been able to do, it's piece together a good bullpen. Crick and Santana have emerged as reliable middle relief guys and Feliz and Vazquez as back end guys.

Going forward, the relative weakness of the rotation is hedged by the deep bullpen. The rotation has trouble going deep in games and it's still really the end goal for them to just get through that 6th inning.

P2 had a piece today that seemed to imply that the Marte thing looks like an oblique, which would be bad, and he'll have to sit for some time. That is bad news. I really hope that they bring up Bostick or Meadows, injecting some young blood into the lineup can provide a spark at times, and I could really see a guy like Bostick coming up and surprising.

If Marte is going to be out for an extended time I'd also like to see one of Meadows or Bostick get a shot in CF. I fear though that with JHay returning soon that we'll see SRod and Frazier (both played in CF today) in a sort of platoon situation with Frazier starting against right hand pitching and SRod coming in late for defensive purposes.

I heard that Marte said he didn't think he'd need a DL stint. Given that the DL is only ten days now instead of 15, I'm hoping it's not all that serious.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I wonder if there are any thoughts in moving the outfield around for a short period. Instead of just using Rodriguez, they could get Osuna at bats.

I know Hurdle said Polanco won't play CF, but why not LF? Dickerson in CF and then Osuna can play RF. Dickerson has some experience in CF. LF is too big for Osuna.
Quail

Post by Quail »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: I wonder if there are any thoughts in moving the outfield around for a short period. Instead of just using Rodriguez, they could get Osuna at bats.

I know Hurdle said Polanco won't play CF, but why not LF? Dickerson in CF and then Osuna can play RF.  Dickerson has some experience in CF. LF is too big for Osuna.

Meadows, Bostick, Osuna getting playing time? Here's what Hurdle said: "Rodriguez is “the best option” to play center field while Marte is out. I have zero interest in moving (Gregory) Polanco to center. None.”

Looks like no new toys for us. :'(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0F2B3F37325E0 wrote: I wonder if there are any thoughts in moving the outfield around for a short period. Instead of just using Rodriguez, they could get Osuna at bats.

I know Hurdle said Polanco won't play CF, but why not LF? Dickerson in CF and then Osuna can play RF.  Dickerson has some experience in CF. LF is too big for Osuna.

Meadows, Bostick, Osuna getting playing time? Here's what Hurdle said: "Rodriguez is “the best option” to play center field while Marte is out. I have zero interest in moving (Gregory) Polanco to center. None.”

Looks like no new toys for us.  :'(

As the roster is currently constituted, I would agree with Hurdle that Rodriguez is the best defensive option for CF. I think Hurdle has seen what the rest of us have seen in Polanco's sometimes cringe worthy defense. No way I would put him in CF for any extended period. That doesn't mean Meadows or Bostick shouldn't be recalled. But I totally understand the zero interest in moving Polanco to CF.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4C474F4346475C191F685149404747064B47280 wrote: I wonder if there are any thoughts in moving the outfield around for a short period. Instead of just using Rodriguez, they could get Osuna at bats.

He should be but Polanco just isn't a good defensive player right now
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I wouldn't want to move Polanco, but Osuna is best for the team in RF amongst outfield spots. I would rather have Osuna in the line up than Rodriguez.

I do agree Rodriguez is best on defense in CF if Marte is out. Heck, Rodriguez is the best anywhere you put him on defense!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

We're probably better off with SRod playing CF than shuffling everyone around.   It's hard to say though.  Getting Osuna's bat in at RF is tempting now that Marte's bat is missing from the lineup.   

We have other guys that are pretty fungible with depth behind them, but not Marte.  When Polanco goes down again, we will be fine.  However Marte is a different animal and isn't easily replaceable.   Hopefully SRod can get hot (for him) over these next 10 games or so and the downgrade won't be so drastic

Marte misses a lot of games too.  Its unfortunate and one of the things holding him back from taking the next step. He misses a lot of time.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, the Dickerson pickup was obviously king and used up the roster spot, but this is the reason many of us would have liked a a 4th OF-type pickup that could play center.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

45777B7B6F5D7E777A7F7077160 wrote: Yeah, the Dickerson pickup was obviously king and used up the roster spot, but this is the reason many of us would have liked a a 4th OF-type pickup that could play center. 

I understand, but both Meadows and Bostick play CF.    If SRod isn't acceptable, and over any longer stretch I would say he's not...  i think you would just call up one of those guys to fill as the CF.   

They both should be able to fill the reserve CF role as acceptably as almost anyone else that was available, short like a Dyson or someone like that. 

It won't surprise me if SRod plays better than average CF defense.  His bat can get hot and his power can produce runs well, in short bursts.  We might be OK here and not fall off too much, with some luck. Then again, he may play rough defense and be a human windmill. IDK
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If Rodriguez hits a few HRs and raises his BA a little I doubt there will be many complaints about not having someone else in CF while Marte is out. He still has one of the lowest number of ABs on the team so he hasn't had a chance to get going. But in his last 4 games started (I'll include the game he entered in the 2nd inning for Marte and had 4 ABs) he's 4 for 14 (.286) with 2 2Bs, a 3B, 3 runs, 3 RBIs and 3 BBs. He's capable of providing some offense when he gets a chance to play more regularly.