Game Thread: 5-28-18 Bucs vs. Cubs, Memorial Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

2F262E3F314B0 wrote: Why were Cora and Freese fighting in the dugout?

That's not good. A veteran and a coach getting into it. They need to start winning again. Winning brings teams together more than anything.
That does not sound good. I wonder what they had words about. With only two hits in the game, I would doubt it had nothing to do with Cora sending a runner home. I hope we hear something about why they had words after the game.

Maybe because the pitching staff didn't back Diaz and start whacking people with the game out of hand and the skipper ejected?   
I didn’t think Cora was in charge after Hurdle got thrown out. I would assume Tom Prince was given the lineup card when Clint was thrown out. I would think too that if they wanted to hit Rizzo in the ninth when he batted it would still would have come from Hurdle from the locker room. I would think why argue with Cora he is like third or fourth on the team management chain.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Inexcusable that Rizzo was not drilled hard in the 9th.

Not good for team bonding to let Rizzo get away with that BS.

Furthermore Hurdle should have flattened Maddon when he came out to protest that they were reviewing the call. The 1979 Pirates would have had Diaz’s back!!
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

It is sad that when we lose, we complain about the umpires rather than complain about the Management that fielded this team.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Fjk:

You're probably right, I was just guessing.   

No skipper should ever need to tell his staff to police the game.  Seeing the slide, and now knowing that Rizzo came up with first base open, with the Pirates down 5 runs... I hope Rich Rodriguez is optioned to Indy tomorrow.

You want to be a wussy and not back your teammates?  Go be one for Indy for 10 days until you can be recalled.  It's basically like a 15k fine due to the salary difference over that many games.

It should have been automatic in that situation.  First pitch, and keep throwing at him until you get him or get ejected.  No headhunting.   Then, it's over.

I hope we don't hit him tomorrow.  Too late now.  Bunch of babies
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Regardless of Cora's level of involvement in the decision not to hit Rizzo, the stories on the web indicate that was precisely the issue Cora and Freese were arguing about.

The old saying goes "if a dog is going to bite you, he will bite you as a pup." The Cubs have guys that will play with a mean streak. Aside from Freese, which of the Bucs want to take a bite out of Rizzo? Hitting Rizzo should have automatic for anyone coming up through the minors. Makes you think someone called off the hit. Makes you wonder if Freese might make a better manager to help create the urgency to win?

Besides Bryant, I cant stand any of the Cubs. I really loathe Maddon. What do you think he would do if someone slid into Contreras like Rizzo did to Diaz? Of course today he tried to turn the tables and criticize anybody having the audacity to critique Rizzo's slide as anything other than "perfect" baseball.

I wish Maddon would go jump off the nearest Sears Tower.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I heard there was a team meeting after the game.

Probably handed out pacifiers and warm milk too
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Rizzo needs hit in his ass tonight by Kingham or somebody. The fact that the Pirates did nothing is gutless in their part in my opinion. Some kind of response needs to happen in the game tonight and I’m sure Rizzo who has lost his mind in the past when he gets hit or gets in fights will be pissed about it. And if that happens so be it. Time to stop letting Maddon and the Cubs walk all over you. Rizzo needs hit tonight period.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

It's a good debate, but i think you don't hit him now. He came up with the game well out of reach and first base empty. We didn't
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

363F372628520 wrote: It's a good debate, but i think you don't hit him now.   He came up with the game well out of reach and first base empty.   We didn't
I agree. He should have been plunked yesterday. Perfect situation with 1B open. But they chose not to. That should be the end of it. If I had been a Pirate coach or mgr yesterday, I would have ordered Rizzo to be hit. But having not done so, I would not do it the next day. On the other hand, if a situation arises where a Pirate runner can take out the Cubs catcher just as legally (according to the umps and Madden) as Rizzo did, then go for it.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

It should've been done yesterday for sure. I have a feeling this will linger and he will get drilled at some point. I don't like it at all. He needed put in the dirt yesterday. This team lacks a fiery leader. We need to find another AJ. The Cubs just kicked and in our faces and we took it. Not good.